Open-sourcing TribesNext?

Hi,

First off, thanks very much for the work put into this project, good stuff!

I searched the forums to see if this question has already been answered but I can't see that it has, so here I am asking it. I was just thinking it would be cool if this project was set up as an open-source project so interested people could help to contribute to the development effort. I am interested in currently absent features like e.g. Linux/WINE support and I thought it would be cool if I could check out the code from a SVN server, hack around on it and email in a patch or something. I'm sure other people have things they would like to help out with too.

Are there any intellectual property issues or other problems that would prevent you from doing something like this? Are you just not really interested in developing the project in this way?

Well regardless of your opinions on the matter thanks again for the project, I'm not having a go at your development style here I'm just wondering if you'd considered a way of doing things that would be more open to outside contributions.

Cheers

Comments

• There is no intellectual property reason the code isn't available (as the DLL is completely self contained and separate from the T2 code), it's just a decision I made to keep the DLL code closed source.

There's no secret sauce or anything in that code yet, but once anti-cheat code is incorporated, it's something I'd rather the script bunnies not strip out.

If you really feel that you could contribute, join us in IRC.
  • What's the license situation for the source? I've got a Torque license, and worked briefly with Renwerx. (Got the Linux build going.)

I'd like to get a dedicated Linux build operational so I can bring the MatureAsskickers servers back online.

My day job is portable multithreaded C++, mostly focused on communication between a host and an embedded automation system (sloppy term would be a "robot" ;)).

Feel free to PM me if it's better discussed in private.
  • Given that we're working without T2 source code, adequate knowledge of a disassembler and the x86 ISA is pretty much a prerequisite if you want to incorporate changes to the Linux version.
  • Are there even symbols in the official builds? I saw mention of TCPObject in another thread, hence I assumed you were working with Torque source.