The Beowulf Assault Tank: A guide on it's proper uses.

In any battle there are two main roles anyone can take. Offense and defense. In this tank guide I'm going to give my own personal techniques for both using the Beowulf. Stick with me folks, and lets see if you can't add your own techniques in the likely event I miss something...

Offense

Driver's position

-What loadout should I use?
-- Personaly I prefer medium armor with the repair pack. If you choose to find defilade and launch some indirect fire on the enemy position, this is excellant. Just whip out the targeting laser and help your gunner get a good idea of what elevation to fire at. But don't spam that laser! You'll just get yourself dead. Don't forget to bring flares too. Enemy missiles are hell on the shields. Once your gunner gets a good idea, hop back into the driver's position and keep the tank stable. (This way nobody can steal the tank. Very annoying.)

-I want to attack! Any ideas how?
--I don't suggest a head on assault. Try flanking the base. If your team is launching a simultaneous attack, or just somebody's skiing in, try going 'round the base and attacking from the rear. Nothing's funnier than seeing everybody's back as you take your time to place that crucial first shot. But drivers should also know to keep moving when under fire. A motionless tank is easier to lock onto than a moving one. Also, share your bumper with the enemy. It's only the polite thing to do, your gunner can't kill everyone.

-I keep taking damage from the terrain!
--SLOW DOWN! Boosting to get into position over rocky terrain is one thing that can get you dead fast. If it's bumpy, don't boost! Keep the shields up to take the brunt of your driving slip-ups. And if you can, use a river or pond to move across. It's flat and if you bump it, no damage! Water is the best place for this tank. (Remember, it hovers!) Lava, however, not so much. Yes you hover over it, but if you dip down, it eats through shields and armor like...well...lava.

Gunner's Position

-So. Drivers go medium with a repair kit. What about me?
--Again here I suggest medium. Pack? Sensor Jammer! Not only will you not show up on the enemy CC but if your driver comes by a turret, they won't fire on you!

-Chaingun and mortar. Which do I use when?
--The chaingun is excellant against light armors boosting through the air and enemy vehichles. It eats up shields like nobody's business. Mortars are great at long distances against either slow or stationary targets. Or you can predict where that sniper's gonna boost to and share your shell with 'em. Splat!

-I've got a mortar and I'm gonna fire my chaingun and shoot at the base even though I can't see it!
--Right...you're an idiot. What do I do if I see a REALLY big green cloud or chaingun round? Well if it came from somewhere I can't see, I go look. If I see a tank, I either fire a missile or let my team know. (Usually both) Do not fire until you have a target! It just telescopes your position and attack to the enemy! Besides it just uses up your weapon energy. What happens if a tank or shrike comes 'round the bend and you've been firing at the clouds? You die. That's what.

Defense

Driver's Position

-So I have a repair pack and a good spot. Now what?
--Nothing. Just wait. Drivers are generally bored on D. I mean until the enemy attacks. But if you find a really good spot, your gunner will make them die well before they spot you. Just over the crest of a hill or behind a building is a great place to put your tank. Not only will you surprise the enemy, but just think...they can't fire at you if they don't know you're there!

Gunner's Position

-So turrets are up and we're in position. Now what?
--Watch the friendly fire! Use the chaingun unless you have a clear shot on the enemy, and nobody's around them. (Flagstand, anyone?)

Notes

-Keep in mind. The driver is the tank commander. Gunners, listen to their directions!
-Remember, the tank cannot sit atop the flag in CTF. But it can sit beside it...
-Dont' forget, drivers, to use the air brake! (Don't hold a directional button and right click. Slows you down/helps soften falls.)
-Gunners, the mortar is slow when fired and has to arm. Remember this! It can bounce off walls or terrain and needs to be fired with plenty of lead time.
-When using the tank of the defensive, this is easy enough with one person. Be wary of enemies, however, taking up the open slot.
-People if you see a tank defending a position and there's just a gunner, don't assume they want a driver! Multiple times I've been on flag D on CTF, keeping everyone off the stand, except for the times I have to get another tank and bring it back into position cause some asinine teammate steals my tank!

Did I forget anything? Post! Don't agree with me? Post! Share the knowledge!

Comments

• couple tips: drive in third person, run away if you are getting missiled but don't use the afterburners to save shield, hold still for the gunner to shoot, on open ground you can go faster going diagonally, use buildings to block enemy fire, don't forget to kill the vpad.
  • Cool! I didn't realize that boosting without holding an arrow key acted as an air brake. One question though...does having an sj pack as a gunner really do any good while you're inside the tank?
  • Greenstorm: It's about the same as wearing a SJ while in the shrike. The IFF (Colored triangle above you) disappears and allows a little better chance at surprise. This also helps you stay off the enemy CC.
  • edited April 2009
    Greenstorm: It's about the same as wearing a SJ while in the shrike. The IFF (Colored triangle above you) disappears and allows a little better chance at surprise. This also helps you stay off the enemy CC.

But don't your tank and your driver still show up on the enemy CC, and won't the driver still have his IFF (unless of course you hop out and activate the pack)? Also can't turrets still shoot the tank while you're in it? It seems like maybe an ammo pack or something would be a better choice (so you can resupply your pilot).

I'm definitely not an expert on vehicles, I'm just trying to make sure my current understanding of how the sj works in them isn't wrong.

edit: Just did some experimenting and turrets can still shoot at a tank with a sj passenger in both base and classic.
  • Greenstorm: It's about the same as wearing a SJ while in the shrike. The IFF (Colored triangle above you) disappears and allows a little better chance at surprise. This also helps you stay off the enemy CC.

But don't your tank and your driver still show up on the enemy CC, and won't the driver still have his IFF (unless of course you hop out and activate the pack)? Also can't turrets still shoot the tank while you're in it? It seems like maybe an ammo pack or something would be a better choice (so you can resupply your pilot).

I'm definitely not an expert on vehicles, I'm just trying to make sure my current understanding of how the sj works in them isn't wrong.

edit: Just did some experimenting and turrets can still shoot at a tank with a sj passenger in both base and classic.

Well it only hides your IFF Yes, but that's better than nothing. If you're gunning from the tank, your pack is pretty much useless man. At least the SJ will do SOMETHING as oppose to the rest of the packs.

As for having an ammo pack, I don't see at all how that would benefit your driver. You are not supplying him with anything, and your tank ammo is unlimited. There's no difference in Ammo Pack or no Pack if all you're doing is gunning.

The SJ may not keep turrets off of you, but think of it like this. When I see a two manned tank at long distance, I grab a shrike or Missile Launcher. If I look and only see one IFF, I'm a little more likely to decide he's not a threat as long as I stay away (thinking it's only the driver).. The chances of someone not noticing the gunner just for him having an SJ pack are slim yes, but still better than nothing.
  • this kauket guy has the general idea. ;)

But NEVER leave your vehicle, and while repairing, make sure your gunner covers you.
    And stand on the turret while you repair, it not only looks cool, but gives you a better chance of getting back into the driver seat before some jock scout jumps in
    this guide is very...basic(no offence:p), if me and DEATHBORN worked from it, we'd only cause minor disruption.
    call the guide Basic Tanking.

Lava is your friend if you can use it properly...
    And, when you're being chased by shrikes, lead them to some plains, then have your gunner gun them to bits. Ram them when they come too low.

In the end, it all comes down to experience. 8)
  • edited April 2009
    The SJ may not keep turrets off of you, but think of it like this. When I see a two manned tank at long distance, I grab a shrike or Missile Launcher. If I look and only see one IFF, I'm a little more likely to decide he's not a threat as long as I stay away (thinking it's only the driver)...

That's a good point, I didn't think of that.
    As for having an ammo pack, I don't see at all how that would benefit your driver. You are not supplying him with anything, and your tank ammo is unlimited. There's no difference in Ammo Pack or no Pack if all you're doing is gunning.

I was thinking maybe you could hop out real quick and toss him some flares/missiles if he gets low. I guess it's not really any different than just taking flares and missiles normally though.

I said that, not Kauket :P

edit: note - sj pack in a tank definitely won't do a thing in base 'cuz the pack has no passive effect. Not that anyone plays base these days :(
  • The SJ may not keep turrets off of you, but think of it like this. When I see a two manned tank at long distance, I grab a shrike or Missile Launcher. If I look and only see one IFF, I'm a little more likely to decide he's not a threat as long as I stay away (thinking it's only the driver)...

That's a good point, I didn't think of that.

I was thinking maybe you could hop out real quick and toss him some flares/missiles if he gets low. I guess it's not really any different than just taking flares and missiles normally though.

I said that, not Kauket :P

edit: note - sj pack in a tank definitely won't do a thing in base 'cuz the pack has no passive effect. Not that anyone plays base these days :(
    Ooo. Sorry, i thought it was kauket.>_<

Sj is crap in a tank, the average joe T2 player would missile you anyway, regardless of how many passengers you have. (1 or 0).

Heheh, i should make a guide on how to 0\/\/n in an tank.
  • Trollyth you're right, this is meant to be a basic guide for the new player. By no means is it an advanced manual on how to conduct armored operations in game.

;)

After all, I'm a shriker at heart. Tank driving is something I do for the lulz.

Kauket guy? Silly you! Kauket is a Goddess, not a God. Google it...
  • Maybe I should clarify. Maps with low visibility (lots of fog) make great times to use the SJ.
  • when I go into assassin config, I take a tank;
    Step1: get yourself noticed (circle HOs, HDs, Lds and annoy them via ram)
    Step2: Drive away suavly, eject if your tank's hp is below 75%.
    Step3: turn around and SL them. (afterwards, use the tank as a decoy, so you can sneak in.)

Sure its fun, but in that time, some random guy on your team, e.g: nAdE5pAmz0rs, will cap their flag.

Also, target laser the defenders faces. ^_^
  • I think you are all for the most part pretty wrong. Especially in higher player count games.

The tank on offense should be looked at as the deadliest siege weapon in the game. Not some up close weapon. If you are using a tank up close, you are using the tank incorrectly. To correctly use a tank, you absolutely need to prepare and distribute long distance tank spam to your gunner. Period. Probably the only reason to ever get up close in a tank, is if you are trying to break a tank standoff. If the enemy team is using tanks to turtle the flag in, the best way to stop that tank, is with another tank. By yourself, ram your tank into the other tank and get them jammed up together. Its only a matter of time before both explode, freeing your teams flag. If you have a gunner, have him chaingun the crap out of the other guy at the same time.

The tank on defense should be looked at as somewhere to put the flag in a standoff, or to park right next to the flag and use in similar fashion to a hof that mortars and chainguns cappers.
  • I think you are all for the most part pretty wrong. Especially in higher player count games.

The tank on offense should be looked at as the deadliest siege weapon in the game. Not some up close weapon. If you are using a tank up close, you are using the tank incorrectly. To correctly use a tank, you absolutely need to prepare and distribute long distance tank spam to your gunner. Period. Probably the only reason to ever get up close in a tank, is if you are trying to break a tank standoff. If the enemy team is using tanks to turtle the flag in, the best way to stop that tank, is with another tank. By yourself, ram your tank into the other tank and get them jammed up together. Its only a matter of time before both explode, freeing your teams flag. If you have a gunner, have him chaingun the crap out of the other guy at the same time.

The tank on defense should be looked at as somewhere to put the flag in a standoff, or to park right next to the flag and use in similar fashion to a hof that mortars and chainguns cappers.
    It all depends on the situation man. You can't say "This weapon is long range only.." or "This Item only has this purpose" This game is way too versatile for absolutes like this.

It all depends on the situation man. You can't say "This weapon is long range only.." or "This Item only has this purpose" This game is way too versatile for absolutes like this.
    meh, not really. A good HO is more valuble than a tank in closer ranges (and requires half the manpower, obviously). tanks are simply way too weak to try to rush in to most situations. The vast majority of their offensive use comes from long range spamming
  • A couple of Assault Tank guides =>
    A Poor Man's Guide to the Beowulf Assault Tank
    The Mushroom's Tankinomicon
    T2 vehicle info.

Where I found this info: UpsetChaps' Guide Loads of other T2 info also.

There are barely any situations in which tanks are better than two HO in shield pack up close. I can think of one time I used a tank for that situation. Slapdash, Aether vs Second Nature I used a tank to attack the enemy tank on flags because they were running 2. Tanks are only really good vs other tanks up close. The mobility of a tank is god awful. In my hundreds and hundreds of tribes 2 matches over the years, Ive never seen an up close tank be a go to effective strategy. One of the biggest unknowns of tribes 2 is that the tank is the perfect siege weapon. It is one of the only things in the game short of massive base rape that can completely shut down a vehicle pad or a flagstand.

If you manage to ever see one of the 311 tank strategies, you will be converted I promise. Its hard to visualize, but its exceedingly effective. Just picture a tank 650 to 700 meters away on or behind a hill spamming the enemy vehicle pad non stop with a medium ammo pack protecting the tank vs shrikes and missiles by using flares and missile launcher. We've gotten tank spam to go so far that the enemy team doesn't even know where its coming from because it comes straight down at a 90 degree angle.

Once on hillside in a game, we drove a tank above the flight ceiling and spammed the flag non stop from like 900 meters away. They couldnt stop it because shrikes couldnt fly that high.
  • Wrong.
    No wonder tanks are so weak, your tactics suck, tbh.

Me and deathborn go up to the enemy base and level it, by ramming HDs and taking over the vpad.

You MUST ram enemies to be effective, as the bombadier cant shoot at close range.

Its a tank.
    Heavy, big, and enough firepower to achieve fire superiority.

Spam is good, but it wont halt the enemy offence.
    By assaulting directly, the enemy base will be in chaos, and it will be relatively easy to complete the mission objective.

-D-
  • As posted before, there is no one golden rule in T2.

A standoff approach is good when you have a strong supporting offense. Artillery never won a war single handedly.

Rushing in without support gets you a brief disruption, then dead real fast.

Both work. To a degree. The point is a tank is not much good attacking/defending alone.

BUT! I didn't write this debating WHEN to use a tank. I wrote this to debate HOW to use a tank.
  • Wrong.
    No wonder tanks are so weak, your tactics suck, tbh.

Me and deathborn go up to the enemy base and level it, by ramming HDs and taking over the vpad.

You MUST ram enemies to be effective, as the bombadier cant shoot at close range.

Its a tank.
    Heavy, big, and enough firepower to achieve fire superiority.

Spam is good, but it wont halt the enemy offence.
    By assaulting directly, the enemy base will be in chaos, and it will be relatively easy to complete the mission objective.

-D-
    no offense (and by which i mean you should take a lot of offense, ironically), but you're talking to one of the most tactically minded players in the game and one who played extensively with 311, which was the team that made tanks actually useful in competition play in classic. Prior to 311's long range doom spam on slapdash, no teams used tanks in any offensive role since the days of SES and 5150 in base. I can tell you right now, good players don't allow a tank to get in close to the base very often. I myself can take out a tank a lot of times by myself in light armor using just mine discs and chaingun, and you're going to tell me that it's an effective offensive weapon upclose when there is more than likely going to be multiple players shooting missiles at you, as well as shrikes, several players mine discing you, and turrets? The problem is resource allocation: 2 HO are significantly more difficult to stop and can cause a lot more damage than one tank almost all the time. A tank up close is really only effective when their base and gens are down, in which case, there's a whole slew of other, often more effective, options.
  • Im sorry, but you're talking to the best tank pilot since 2003, and I still am.
    So I know what im talking about.
    No offence.

Its obviously not that simple, but I take out the turrets first.
    Shrikes = Dead.
    HD = Dead.
    disc mine guys = Dead, but still annoying.
  • you're talking to one of the best hds in t2 (kambul) and one of the best players ever (me), and between the both of us we've probably had more competition experience in the last 2 weeks than you've had in your entire time playing.
    if you get off the goons server, you'll see what ridiculousness you're spewing.

as far as i know, there is no such thing as "best tank pilot," unless you're trying to boost your ego by making up new positions.
  • actually, there was.
    Back in 03 there were loads of tank comps which I won.

Tank VS Tank Ive never lost, unless my bombadier shot me.
  • what server did this occur on? some base server no doubt. 5am?
  • rofl funny thread
    You guys should be aware that Trollyth thinks running around in a pub constitutes quality Tribes 2 strategic experience. That's where he's coming from.
  • Wow. I never met so many of Tribes 2's best players in one thread. This is amazing! I'm humbled really! We got, the guy who drives the indestructible tank that can apparently overcome being bombarded by missiles and constant enemy chaingun fire, simply by ramming things.

And then we have the ultimate HD guy since 2003 was it? Wow. I'm impressed really I am.

As for spamming tank fire. I admit this is probably one of the most effective ways to offensively use the tank. I was playing the other day with my 12 year old brother as my gunner, had him set up on a mountain, and would just laser the general area for him to fire at, and we annoyed the hell out of the other team.

It's effective, but probably not the most fun. For me, I don't play to win, I play to have fun. And if that means driving the tank right into enemy fire just to ram a few people on the Vpad, jump out and screw over a Bomber or Havoc trying to get airborn, then Hell, I'll do it :D
  • meh, be humbled.

But you should now Kryand is a grandmaster orly.

what server were these comps? Cant remember; its been a while since I played T2.

and Kry, what've you got against pubbies? Without teh awesome pubbies, T2 would have died long ago.

Also beware that Kryand touches kids :p
  • Orly is like a god to all the newbs, lol. The especially funny thing is that account was used by like 4 different people on the Rebels server alone, and who knows how many others on different servers. Since as far as I know it originally belonged to AnarchyAo, and he lent out accounts to so many different people that you could almost call them "public accounts". And to top it off, I'm not even one of them. :D

Where did I say I had something against pubs? They're fun on occasion. The issue is any strategy you use in a pub is absolutely not applicable to high-level or even decent-level play. You are trying to argue tactics based on nothing but pub experience, and you're arguing against two of the more competitively knowledgeable players in the history of the game. I mean, psycore is giving you strategies used by one of the top 5 teams in the game when competition was in its prime, and you are countering it with stuff you do in pub servers? Seriously?
  • Orly is like a god to all the newbs, lol. The especially funny thing is that account was used by like 4 different people on the Rebels server alone, and who knows how many others on different servers. Since as far as I know it originally belonged to AnarchyAo, and he lent out accounts to so many different people that you could almost call them "public accounts". And to top it off, I'm not even one of them. :D

Where did I say I had something against pubs? They're fun on occasion. The issue is any strategy you use in a pub is absolutely not applicable to high-level or even decent-level play. You are trying to argue tactics based on nothing but pub experience, and you're arguing against two of the more competitively knowledgeable players in the history of the game. I mean, psycore is giving you strategies used by one of the top 5 teams in the game when competition was in its prime, and you are countering it with stuff you do in pub servers? Seriously?
    I use those tactics in comp....so no.

how about "Orly?"? ::) ;D ;D ;D
  • Oh yeah since there's such a big difference between what goes on in pubs and what goes on in matches at the very bottom of the ladder (there isn't).
  • there is.

we're arguing over a game :p

wow...