The Beowulf Assault Tank: A guide on it's proper uses.

2»

Comments

• Okay a few things to clear up in this thread -

There is no such thing as a "tank driver position"

As Kambul previously stated, the only use that tanks have ever had in match play is when a few teams have used them for long range spam - and even then they weren't very effective nor widely used.

Simply put, when dealing with competent players (read: none of the players who have been pubbing on goons/rebels in the past few years), the tank is fragile and can't do enough damage to justify its 2 person + vehicle creation/transit time cost.

The issue with tanks is, there's a huge abundance of easy combos that can kill them, especially if one was stupid enough to head to a defense straight on. Basically you can combine any two players with any sort of effective weapon versus a tank and they'll kill it (two shrikes, a shrike and someone with mines, two people with mines, someone with mines and someone with missiles, etc etc). If the people attacking the tank are competent, the tank will die 100% of the time with absolutely no recourse for people in the tank.

And no, there's nothing magical or super skillful that someone can pull out of their ass while driving a tank, it's not a vehicle like the shrike that has to deal with high speeds and small windows of execution, it's a vehicle that's easy to move around at its maximum capacity with relatively low amounts of skill involved - it's simply built that way.
  • You guys keep mentioning these uber-awesome servers where the creme de la creme go to slay each other....

Well. What's the name? So far I've only found a good two or three servers with more than two people on them.

So I go where the numbers are, pubs. Blah blah "Pubs suck and you suck for goin to em!" blah blah. Shush. Name the servers.
  • No one said that pubs suck. We said that pubs are not a good basis for conversations about strategy. No pubs are. We are talking about matches.
  • You guys keep mentioning these uber-awesome servers where the creme de la creme go to slay each other....

Well. What's the name? So far I've only found a good two or three servers with more than two people on them.

So I go where the numbers are, pubs. Blah blah "Pubs suck and you suck for goin to em!" blah blah. Shush. Name the servers.
    any good t2 server disappeared years ago and you are an idiot if you think tanks are effective the end

The good players usually never played on those massive servers like goons or h.vehicles. I would say branzone probably has a higher concentration of experienced players currently. In general though, the best players will be participating in pickups scrims and matches only so you wont see them on goons all the time. If you havent been involved in a tribes 2 pickup, you should give it a go. Who knows, hopefully you're the next really good LD and compete against us.

There is a competitive community in this game that instead of pubbing all the time, they scrim each other to obtain their experience, and play a match to decide who is best. www.teamwarfare.com
  • Newsflash: Most players aren't interested in TWL-style classic ctf competition.
  • No one said that pubs suck. We said that pubs are not a good basis for conversations about strategy. No pubs are. We are talking about matches.

Aha! Then I agree. Pubs suck for strategy. But they're an excellant place to trim up certain skills. I just wish people would learn which IFF color to shoot...

And personally, I don't like the thought of having to download TWL map packs in order to play on those servers. I dunno, just me. I do like the thought of competing, though.
  • Once most people try being on an organized team, they really enjoy it.
    There used to be several options as far as commitment-level/competition-level, now there is just TWL, but there is a pretty big range of skill levels.

It's fun to get used to playing with the same people, knowing what they are going to do, and executing well.
  • Newsflash: Most players aren't interested in TWL-style classic ctf competition.
    Then most players shouldn't be posting in this thread. Or this forum category, for that matter.
  • And personally, I don't like the thought of having to download TWL map packs in order to play on those servers.
    then you should be playing xbox live
  • And personally, I don't like the thought of having to download TWL map packs in order to play on those servers.
    then you should be playing xbox live

Touche.

Way back when I had them downloaded and never used them. I suppose I could go though the agonizing ten minutes it'll take...

(Yes, that was sarcasm)
  • Ugh, funny how every thread goes in the same direction. The vets bashing on the noobies or less skilled.

Anyways, I know I suck at this game, but that's okay with me. I've played since 2000, and really never got into competition. I competed once in a small V2 tribe. And even that was hardly considered a competition.

To be honest I was banned from most of the big servers like and stuff haha. My whole clan was. Perhaps you guys have heard or been annoyed by them? -[SPAM]- . Oh man those were good times. Lmao.

Anyways, can we get back on topic and talk more about running over people with tanks? I love diving my tank into water so I can skyrocket out and land on top of a sniper standing on the edge of a mountain. Hehe fun fun.
  • If the llamas didn't give bad advice to newbies, the vets probably wouldn't bash them (as much).
  • Umm we aren't even bashing newbs, we are just correcting them. I don't understand why everyone here thinks that correcting a newb means you are bashing him.
  • He's on to something here...

You guys have any more tips to add? Or perhaps a strategy to discuss? I'll go first:

What is the BEST was to defend with the tank? Solo and risk an annoying team mate or pesky enemy hopping into the driver's slot? Or team up and bore your driver until they lose it and rush a pair of plasma turrets with the targeting laser?
  • The tank is the meanst vehivle to ram with, just buy one for yourself and drive around near the enemy base, and boost when you see someone (unless there's a missle locked onto you) and just keep doing this, if you get really damaged drive away, perferably outside the boundries if you can, and get out to repair, your sheilds can take a lot of damage if you aren't boosting, also if you go into first person right before you ram them you get the very satisfied feeling by seeing them fly really far even if you don't kill them.
  • A very suicidal manoeuvre I like to call: The jackhammer.
    1: move tank onto cliff.
    2: wait for target (preferably a shrike, other vehs ok.) to pass underneath.
    3: slam down like a falling cow.
    4: watch stuff blow up.

this is very suicidal, but I usually make it out alive.
  • You should make an Advanced Tanking Guide Demoncard with DEATHBORN.
  • na make an advanced client crashing course for tankers
  • A very suicidal manoeuvre I like to call: The jackhammer.
    1: move tank onto cliff.
    2: wait for target (preferably a shrike, other vehs ok.) to pass underneath.
    3: slam down like a falling cow.
    4: watch stuff blow up.

this is very suicidal, but I usually make it out alive.
    i invented that move in 2001

you're welcome
  • yeah red's stealthkill maneuver was so impressive they built it into tricon2 as an admin option