Starsiege2845 Dedicated Server Up

edited September 2009 in General Discussion
For all of you that never checked out this unfinished Tribes ,this game was suppose to come out in 2006 I think ? Download it here http://xfer1.the-construct.net/games/2845setup.exe This game has a lot of cool features . They never got around to putting in jet packs . The herc mechs are nice . This can be played online with others . I was thinking some one might be able to take the shrikes , bombers from tribes 2 and the jet pack . Every thing we love from tribes 2 can be added to this unfinished game . I've been looking at all the scripts most of every thing looks backwards compatible 2845 has a lot of new textures and nicer looking landscapes every thing looks more realistic . I ask every one before badmouthing or destroying this idea please download the unfinished game ,look at the scripts , files check it out ,play it and really look for your self's and then reply . this can be a really fun group project ...

Comments

• HybridSin, if you got an idea, run with it. Show us you're willing to put some work on this and someone just may join you :D

I'd help but I had trouble just installing LabRat Tools for T1.
  • Unfortunately there's a ton of legal issues to be considered. The original dev team made agreements with VU about being able to do this. I doubt they're going to be willing to let someone try again after the first flop.
  • I'm thinking most of every thing in starseige2845 might work in a client side mod folder I'm hoping the scripts don't have to be changed to much .Torque is the same but they are using the new shader engine /tool . If any one has good input on this let me know .
    No they weren't, they were using the old TGE (they gave up on TSE/TGEA).
    The legal issues will cripple any attempt to develop SS:####. I'd link you to the final ClanCore discussion, but I think it has vanished into the blackhole of the internet.
  • You keep thinking that.
  • Well I took every thing in ss2845 put it in to a mod folder made a short cut started the game . The maps showed up I started a ctf game every thing started loading up until objects then a UE came up So I think with a little bit of work we might get to see starseige2845 after all

You should trust keen when he says that its not doable. He's had more experience than most when it comes to this.
  • Actually, they should finish what they started. Just because vu made a mess of tv doesn't mean they should use that as an excuse. But whatever.
  • It wasn't simply because of T:V, but due to TGEA bullshit as well.
    http://forums.the-junkyard.net/showpost.php?p=88949&postcount=38
  • Most games built on TGEA seem to be doomed from the start, unless you're absolutely crazy like us Ascension developers.
  • It wasn't simply because of T:V, but due to TGEA bullshit as well.
    http://forums.the-junkyard.net/showpost.php?p=88949&postcount=38

Yeah, I remember back when it was the Torque Shader Engine. They had posted 4 milestones for the product. After they reached milestone 2, they changed the engine name to TGEA and declared it as being done.
  • I'll eat my words if you can show me a mech configurable like the SS2845 ATR, that walks properly and shoots :p
  • This should be required reading for Garage Games fanbois.
    They agreed to allow us to create SS2845 as a standalone game using TGE/TSE from Garage Games. We agreed to this condition because Vivendi promised us access to the Tribes 2 source code. that source would have put us well on our way. However, six months after switching to TGE to develop the ATR, Vivendi informed us that they could not lay their hands on the source code. They sent authorization to Garage Games for them to provide the source to us... but they continued to drag their feet on the issue and never made good on the commitment.

When TSE(TGEA) was reaching it's final milestone, Clancore agreed that we should take what we had managed to accomplish with the old Darkstar/T2/V12/Torque engine and send it out the door so we could begin migrating to TGEA. After Garage Games released what they were calling the final build of TGEA, it was clear that all of our development time would be spent repairing or completing the pieces of the engine that they had promised, but failed to deliver. The scope of what was ahead of us was simply impossible to overcome. After 4 years of persistent efforts to overcome the hurdles, it had become quite clear we would never accomplish our goal using TGEA. But using the Starsiege IP tied us to the game engine restrictions that Vivendi had placed on us.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd link you to the final ClanCore discussion, but I think it has vanished into the blackhole of the internet.

If you want to check out the site a little use the "WayBack machine" --http://web.archive.org/web/*/clancore.net--. I used it to see the site just yesterday. I checked out the Alpha Tech Release and it looked pretty nice. I'd love to see it finish, and if it ever did i'd like it to have a little more speed. It's very nice and has some sounds from Tribes II. I think Campaign mode might be a good change from the multi-player only attitude of Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes II. For all who haven't checked it out, please take a look at it.
  • Please bare in mind that usage of any models, sounds or textures from SS2845 will incur legal action from the respective authors of whatever art you try to use.

That being said, the bipedal HERCs can be used in base TGE without issue. The HERC was, after all, a child of the player class. Turret and weapon control, on the other hand, will be a major issue and stumbling block. Also, the lack of mount-points will be an issue.

Speaking of the ATR, there were two other versions that were never released to the public. One was built on TGE 1.5.2 and the other was built on TGEA 1.0.3. Both were the same basic game as the original ATR, but with stability fixes and visual updates inherent with the updated base code. Unfortunately, the project was dropped and scrapped before either of them could be released.
  • Hi ilys, playing any?
  • I'm thinking most of every thing in starseige2845 might work in a client side mod folder I'm hoping the scripts don't have to be changed to much .Torque is the same but they are using the new shader engine /tool . If any one has good input on this let me know .
    1. legal issues
    if you change all the crap (artwork) and make it SEEM like it was just based on it, then u can do it.
  • What parts are actually not done yet? When I saw it, it seemed coherent.
  • The hard parts.
  • What parts are actually not done yet? When I saw it, it seemed coherent.
    Multi-legged HERCs were never done, only the biped HERCs worked. The engine was also very unstable (TGE 1.3) and did not perform well. The infantry jump-jets were also scripted, not coded, so that was "incomplete".
  • Regardless, MechSiege is as close as you're likely going to get to a Mech mod in T2.
  • I remember when #ss2845 was shut down.

Took me a while to locate the people from it.
  • edited September 2009
    My new deployable turrets for my SS2845 test mod. :o
    I love the turret design in SS2845.
    If any one is able to put up a dedicated server for SS2845. I would be willing to share my test mod, and keep modding this game if people played on it. I can also code in deployable stations, teleporter pads, and much more no problem.

http://www.tribalcombat.com/SS2845/misc/screenshot_005-00002.jpg

http://www.tribalcombat.com/SS2845/misc/screenshot_005-00012.jpg
  • edited September 2009
    That function works now in the game as a booster for the players.
    I changed my setting for it to this, witch allows for endless boosting in any direction the player wants. Never going to be smooth as real jetting. I don't think there is code in the engine for a real jet pack for players, so No. With some more adjusting, it could be just fine. I just coded in deployable inventory stations yesterday, both my turrets and inventory stations can be deployed using a gun called a deployment tool. The turrets are not automatic type. I may try and make them so later.

$DismountOnJump = false;
    $jetForce = 1500; //Plasmatic: 1000 works nicely
    $jetThreshold = 100; //min time between bursts.
    $jetFullRechargeTime = 300; //1000 = 1 second.
    $jetDelay = 100; //how long to wait before trying to jet jump
  • cant see server, whats the ip?
This discussion has been closed.