StarCraft

Comments

• This thread must construct additional pylons.

No, never played it.
  • Power Overwhelming.

We live to serve.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Ah. That's the stuff.

What's starcraft?
  • Age of Empires is better *puts on flame suit*

No seriously, I started with AoE, and when I played Starcraft it was like going backwards in time. I need more than 3 races.
  • Civilization is better than Age of Empires. *puts on asbestos overcoat*

No seriously, I started with Civ, and when I played Age of Empires it was like going backwards in time. I need more than 3 seconds a turn.
  • edited January 2010
    Homeworld is better than Civilization. *puts on fire-retardant windbreaker*

No seriously, I started with HW, and when I played Civilization it was like going backwards in time. I need more than 2 dimensions.
  • I played it pretty regulary before my computer-game-of-the-moment switched to Tribes 2 with the launch of TribesNext.

Scrubby D+ Iccup toss if that means anything to you. Anyway, if you don't know what it means, it means I'm a shitty player but still better than you are. Though admittedly I'd imagine I'd have trouble reaching even that as I haven't really played the game in ages. Still keep up & watch the korean leagues, though.

Also, Starcraft is better than your favourite other RTS. *puts on fire-retardent inverness*

No, seriously, I started with SC, and when I played your favourite RTS, was so slow it was like going backward in time. I need to click more often than just 30 times per minute.
  • THAS A ZARGLIN!!
  • Kekeke HO rush.
  • En Taro Adun executor!
  • I was a C+ Iccup player. "Hydralisk" taught me as well as alot of others. I played Terran.
    In FMP I smashed, I picked Zerg. Unless I wanted to be cheap I'd go Terran due to a couple cheap tricks using Terran ;).
    I haven't played in years though :(. Every now and then I'll go on and just play some UMS maps. Tower Defense 2.9 is the best ever!

No seriously, I started with Civ, and when I played Age of Empires it was like going backwards in time. I need more than 3 seconds a turn.
    AoE doesn't take turns....it's an RTS.
  • i was a 1300 protoss player back when that meaned something
    nowadays i sort of keep up with the pro scene and try to (very poorly) imitate bisu
  • edited January 2010
    I started playing on ICCUP about 2 days ago, i was plaing at Podolsk before with about 1500 games, 3v3 games kill my skill. I've never reached more than 170 apm in normal game - usualy it is from 130 to 160 apm. I started to play in june, after a looong pause - 3 or 4 years.

Terran user ofc. Most unpopular race nowadays.

EDIT:
    Reached 182 apm - not spam
  • Yeah, among low-level foreigners I guess terran isn't too hot. Protoss is very popular on the lower levels due to the "easymode" mechanics, and the recent rapestreak of Zergs in progaming surely seems to have increased their relative popularity on Iccup as well.

It's too bad that the racial popularity dilutes to almost completely the reverse when you get into the professional leagues though D:.

Woooosh.

A three-second turn in a TBS would be marginally as fast-paced as an RTS. In before RTS vs TBS holy war erupts.
  • How old is Starcraft and still it's living?
    How old is Tribes 2 and it's almost dead?
    How old is The Simpsons and needs to die?
  • Starcraft is about 3 years older than Tribes 2, and about 4 months older than the original Tribes.

It's still living because the game was a "successor"(well, indirectly) to a popular franchise in (at the time) one of the most popular game genres, and in general is very easy for anyone to pick up and play. Granted, SC is very merciless when going up against better experienced people, but as long as you play similar level people it's fun on all skill levels of gameplay.
    Also, things like custom UMS maps (think of them as "mods") and "fastest possible" (Version2 if you will :P) that really have nothing to do with the real game are a cultivating ground of noobs and help keep people around even if they don't play the "real" game anymore.

Also, Korea; What in practice is pretty much the only truly viable large-scale progaming-scene is a phenomena and an attention-grabber in itself already, and many who have picked the game up (in a "serious" manner, aka playing ladder) in the later years have done so by being hooked to it or re-discovering the game after many years through spectation of the current pro-scene.

Lastly is of course the game itself; It's just that good. Why exactly it turned out like that is an amalgam of many coincidences and probably one of the biggest flukes in gaming history. Either way, by the end of the day that means that SC has a skill cieling that no human could possibly perfect (even ones who play the game 10 hours a day 7 days a week at 350+ actions per minute), and that it pretty much is the only game in the genre that still retains some form of level balance between all the factions even at the highest level of gameplay, despite the heavy asymmetry.

(Lastly, If Tribes 2 would have sold over 11 million copies, or even just the 1.5 in the first year as SC did, I guarantee that it would have more than a gross total of 150+ players today.)
  • It's also still supported, along with Diablo II. Tribes 2 was dropped like a bad habit when T:V was released.

I liked Rise of Nations. It's a cross between the fast paced intensity of AoK and the epic turn-taking style strategy of Civ. The creators really were geniuses to come up with such a game.
  • StarCraft was made by Blizzard; Tribes was made by a company that doesn't even exist anymore. That's about as far as the "why is the older game still alive" discussion needs to go.