Dont mean to start a flame war--but how many cheats are used these days?

Been years since I've played--didn't know it was possible after Tribes Vengeance disappointed. We used to use scripts for to speed up things like setting up inv stations, turrets, etc. Some also for speedingup missle launcher tones. THey were not allowed in competition. But before I start playing a lot--is there rampant use of aimbots and cheats to make killing easier? Like with laser weapons, etc? I'd like to know before I start getting into thegame again.

Comments

• There are some cheaters, but we generally track them down and ban them.

There are some people that claim there are cheats that aren't possible (from a programmer's point of view, but maybe are possible with an ample dose of magic and make-believe).

Generally, you won't notice any cheaters or the people cheating are so bad you wish they could find better cheats to make them more of a challenge. :D

If you do catch someone cheating, you can submit the demo (at least this is how it works on Goon Haven 64) for review.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks. So notmuch different than mid 2000s!
  • The only really effective cheat out for t2 is hm2, and since hm2 requires a password, the cheat is not very common in the game. There are, however, at least some hm2 users, but not very many compared to the total player base. And even then, hm2 is less effective of a game ruiner the farther you get from Ultra and renegades. The lesser mods like v2, classic, and base do not allow hm2 to be usefull to the extent that higher mods like Ultra and ren do. Not much to worry about as far as cheats go in t2 today. There may be some texture replacements that amount to nothing worthwhile and scripts like autopoints in play but they are not game ruiners.
  • For the 100th time, HM2 does not require a password anymore.

As for cheating, it's not a big problem. 90% of the time if someone is cheating (in CTF), you can get definitive proof of it within minutes by using covert sensor jammer tactics, and they will be banned. In Arena, it's a different story, since cheats are harder to catch and the cheaters are not even banned.
  • "For the 100th time, HM2 does not require a password anymore."

if such is the case then there are plenty of cheats in t2
  • "For the 100th time, HM2 does not require a password anymore."

if such is the case then there are plenty of cheats in t2

I've used HM2 back in the day for giggles for a couple days and I never remember it needing a password.
  • i like using cloak against expert players

they're easier to kill because they're not cheating

one time i got behind this HD, turned off my cloak, and just sat there until he turned off his shield
  • one time i got behind this HD, turned off my cloak, and just sat there until he turned off his shield
    You've only done this once? I still do this just about every time I play. No one ever notices until it's too late. :)
  • edited February 2011
    well i don't use cloak offensively with all the cheaters around like smokescreen

that's basically suicide since even noobs like smokescreen can hit you indoors

smokescreen should be banned
  • and if you dont have music playing in game you can easily hear them approach and know to take action, theyre usualy going for the back so you know where they will be