help with aiming?

hey people, i'm new to this game.

I've been playing single player verse bots, and I've done sort of okay (!), so i decided to try multiplayer. bad idea lol, extremely fast paced and confusing to me. i can get basic jetting and skiing, but i have really bad accuracy. i can't hit anything that's moving/flying and i can't hit anything while i'm moving quickly or flying. if i stand still for a second to aim someone lands a mortar on my lap too. so are there any tricks to this? or just practice.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Practice first. The only "trick" would be interpolate script, but since you haven't large ping, its not necessary at beggining - it would annoy you rather than help right now.

As you wrote, you try to stop and aim, wich is usually wrong. It's better to get in air and then shoot at enemy on ground. It's much easier to hit in the right place from air, than from ground. Try to avoid non-sure shoots, like trying to hit anything with disc/plasma in air. Ground shoots are more effective, besides snipe, shocklance, chaingun (non splash, fast projectile weapons). Force enemy to be on ground when projectile hits or be in air when enemy is on ground, and then you're suppose to have decent kill ratio.

Always remember that projectiles inherits your velocity at specific rate, eg. chaingun bullets inherit 100% of your velocity, grenade launcher 85%, disc 50%, plasma 20% (values form Classic mod) etc. You need to practice and find out how it affects your aim.
  • Get light epack, stay at your base and lob grenades from grenade launcher.

You'll die a lot - it's just part of learning Tribes. Top notch players die 20 times/hr in pubs and normal players are somewhere between 25 - 55 deaths/hr.

Try to think about angles - you can't really take the time to properly line-up shots when you first start playing - you need to get easy angles (shooting down on a player on the ground from above) until you get enough of a feel for the game that you can just swing and shoot.

If you're pubbing on Goon Haven, you can track your progress here:
    http://t2stats.m-parsons.com

Also, I posted a compilation of the basics of online play:
    http://goonhaven.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157
  • Dying in a game does not matter, die as often as you want or need to, it's not like you have to keep putting quarters in the machine. It takes time to learn how to best employ each type of weapon. Most weapons need to be aimed ahead of where an enemy player is moving, You simply predict and then aim where that player is going to be in the time it will take for the projectile to get to that player. So take the time to learn and don't worry about being a teratos in your first week.
  • Yeah don't worry about dying alot. Everyone dies alot and nobody cares.

Just explore the weapons and play around with all the different ways you can use them. The name of the game is mobility though, so being able to shoot while in any position is definitely something I'd get used to.
  • try out explosive weapons if you want to hit moving targets, spinfuser, grenade launcher, plasma rifle, mortar,
  • aiming from the air was something i've never thought to do. thanks for the info guys! test it out on some bots now...
  • You should run the bots set to max skill, by the way.
  • aiming from the air was something i've never thought to do.
    I'd say it's the main part of aiming. Just try to by higher than enemy, especially outdoors.
  • Remember to lead your targets! This isn't like Halo or Call of Duty where the bullet instantly hits where you're aiming. When people are flying passed (especially if they were skiing and have maximum momentum) you may need to aim half a screen ahead and take a lucky shot to hit them!
  • and chase targets, to gain as much as possible equal velocity vector
  • Physics my dear watson, physics
  • While you're running single player, make sure to start the game with the command line switches "-online -mod classic".

Most servers out there today run the classic mod instead of Base, which was the old Tribes 2 default, and is what you get if you start the game with the default shortcuts.

I'm saying this because the weapon physics and behavior are slightly different between the two.

Otherwise, just practice a lot - float in the air and shoot discs & spam the grenade launcher whenever people are on the ground (or about to touch the ground).

Conversely, use the chaingun against anything and everything airborne - don't try to hit people in the air with your disc launcher, you'll miss 99% of the time and do no damage. With the chaingun you'll always end up doing some damage (and when you get better you're eventually going to kill people really fast with it).
  • Ok first we begin with the groundshot, aim at their feet or torso while they are on the floor. Next we discuss the MA, that is the mid air. If they are jetting above you aim for the head. If they are jetting below you aim for the feet of your foe. If they are jetting diagnolly, lead your aim to where they are about to go. Download interpolate and learn to chaingun. Practise on T2 bots.

I hope this has an informative reply. Thank you for reading.
  • Ok first we begin with the groundshot, aim at their feet or torso while they are on the floor. Next we discuss the MA, that is the mid air. If they are jetting above you aim for the head. If they are jetting below you aim for the feet of your foe. If they are jetting diagnolly, lead your aim to where they are about to go. Download interpolate and learn to chaingun. Practise on T2 bots.
    no, no, no

Don't use interpolate script if you haven't need for that, it would just make movement more shaky and not comfortable to aim. And try to practice on players instead on bots - it's totally different.