PROBLEM WITH A PLAYER

13»

Comments

• For something like IRC it isn't hard to use a webclient.
  • Thyth, is it possible to design a permanent anti-asshole solution for those hosting Tribes 2 servers?
    Sure. I think the problem will be significantly less significant if response from multiple servers is coordinated. Back when people were arguing over the implementation of the new authentication system, I discussed the possibility of a web-of-trust between servers for banning purposes.

Server admins would have the option of "trusting" the bans from another server, and propagating them to their own. At the moment I'm more concerned about native code bug fixes, anti-cheat, and the browser/tmail systems, but there is nothing stopping a sufficiently technical group of people from building a web-of-trust ban system.
  • Emailing banlist.cs shouldn't take too much time, or even publishing it here.
  • Depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to effectively deal with problem players, emailing around a ban list is slow and stupid. If you want to make an administrative nightmare for server admins, you'd do a pretty good job.

An automated system is less effort, and the reaction time would be almost instant, so the problem players would get very little effective use from their accounts.
  • Depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to effectively deal with problem players, emailing around a ban list is slow and stupid. If you want to make an administrative nightmare for server admins, you'd do a pretty good job.

An automated system is less effort, and the reaction time would be almost instant, so the problem players would get very little effective use from their accounts.

You'd need to be careful with a full on automated system. I've seen some ban happy admins who do it because they can't admit their faults and/or have issues of their own that bleed over into the game. If Admin A blows their stack for no reason and bans you, something needs to be in place to prevent every server with the system from automatically getting the ban streamed to them.
  • Yeah, but if it was globaly enforced, kry and his friends couldn't ruin v2 games anymore...

(admit it, you think it's funny too)
  • v2 games are ruined before they start

You'd need to be careful with a full on automated system. I've seen some ban happy admins who do it because they can't admit their faults and/or have issues of their own that bleed over into the game. If Admin A blows their stack for no reason and bans you, something needs to be in place to prevent every server with the system from automatically getting the ban streamed to them.
    That's kind of the point behind the "web of trust" mentioned earlier. You might trust Bob, and he might trust you, but you might not trust Charlie even though Charlie trusts you and Bob, and Bob might trust Charlie.
  • Yeah, but if it was globaly enforced, kry and his friends couldn't ruin v2 games anymore...

LOL ;D :):D:D:D ;D :D ;D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The only funny thing is that we don't have to play in V2 servers to ruin them. Our mere existence has scared them into destroying themselves.

The only funny thing is that we don't have to play in V2 servers to ruin them. Our mere existence has scared them into destroying themselves.

Everyone loves you and your attitude Kryand! you're the freshiest freshy at the pow pow! : ) xoxoxox : )
  • I made a bar on TX with the sole purpose of offering shelter and a frosty beverage to poor builders who are being heckled and bombed by Valarking and his cronies! All are welcome at the ProBar!!

A day without a Krymore quote is a day without sunshine.

But if everyday were a sunny day, what would a sunny day be? LOL!
  • edited February 2009
    i appologise for this interruption

edit: interruption has 2 r's, not 2 t's

dur

ROFLMAO!!!

Barkeep; I'll take a triple of what he had! lol

ROFLMAO!!!

Barkeep; I'll take a triple of what he had! lol

i don't think they sell "idiot" at the bars anymore, because that's what i think he's having ;)

I nominate abstract for quote of the day.

I second the nomination!

I second the nomination!

Motion goes to vote.

All in favor press insert to vote!