Kerbs script functionality

I've been able to track down a script I really liked when I played T2 oh so long ago: Kerbs Scripts. These give you mortar and GL reticles with scaleable drop-down sights. Anyhow, I snagged the .vl2 from:

http://gamefiles.androctasiae.net/tribes2/scripts/

But installing this to my Gamedata\base directory doesn't appear to work. When I fire up T2 and bring up the settings menu, I don't see a "scripts" tab appear as I'd expect.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Comments

• I'll try these later and get back to you with what I find.
  • Just tested it, works fine. Nice grenade and mortar rets.

You are running support.vl2, right?
  • That script tab is from support.vl2, you can get it at: http://dl.rawr32.net/etc/support.vl2
  • A-ha! I didn't have support.vl2 installed. That cleared things up. Thanks for the tip.

Now that I've got Kerbs script installed, I'm thinking I used something else for mortar / grenade reticles. The reticles don't look like what I remember -- I could swear the visual was a solid vertical line with distance ticks at several intervals.

I also remember it was more accurate than what I'm seeing with Kerbs. My usual MO as a heavy would be to sight with my laser, try to adjust based on height, and then aim according to the reticle ticks. The Kerbs reticles don't appear to be all that accurate.
  • I noticed that as well. Wonder what mod he based them on? Most mods alter proj velocities and trajectories from base. Also, they might be resolution dependant. Wonder what res he used? If you're serious about this, you might want to get qfire and forget the whole ret thing.
  • Qfire? Not familiar with that. After some googling it looks like it may be something relating to aimbots? Not exactly what I had in mind if that's the case.
  • edited January 2009
    Not quite. It sets waypoints in the air and on the ground, you can drop mortars more or less right on target. You stand on one waypoint, aim at the one in the sky, and presto, target hit. Setting it up is rather involved tho.

oops qfiremissions is what its called
  • I have qfiremissions too (maybe not linked, but it is there on my site).

However, it is regarded as a cheat, if I remember correctly, so I won't link to it.
  • Just as an aside, I was talking about qfiremissions and autopoints with Celios last night.

He said they are not regarded as cheats. I was suprised as well.
  • There was lots of debate and crying about the spam scripts when they came out (you're welcome) but all they do is make something that people used to go to extreme lengths to do anyway accessible to anyone.

Kerb's rets have been modified by a number of scripters at various times. The version that i use lets you toggle between reticle colours, and has been updated to be accurate for classic.
  • Defense Turret has code to block autopoints (on enemy players, DT allows it on friendlies) and waypoint based target acquisition for mortaring, so at least Rodent thought they were cheats.
  • People were actualy using marker or grease pencil to wp on their monitor.
  • Defense Turret has code to block autopoints (on enemy players, DT allows it on friendlies) and waypoint based target acquisition for mortaring, so at least Rodent thought they were cheats.

DT has code that allows you to set a maximum height for waypoints, which is basically there to take some of the accuracy out of spamming using waypoints, but does not go so far as to make it impossible. (ie, but removing the ability to create waypoints at arbitrary positions via script). There are plenty of ways to spam with waypoints that are on the surface of the map, it's just a bit more annoying to set up.

I never used autopoints, so i don't remember what DT does or doesn't do. I do know that it didn't block the ability of one to create a waypoint on an enemy through the CC though, because my playerwaypoint script was not broken by it. I was never a fan of the way autopoints interacted with other waypointing scripts because of the limit on the amount of waypoints that any player can have at any particular time.

In T1 people had all sorts of low tech ways to spam, including, as you say marking up their monitor, and countless hours of memorization.
  • I have the full DT server source, and the coordinates to every stationary waypoint the client makes is sent to the server for analysis. There is also something that analyzes targets for attached waypoints.
    function serverCmddtt(%client, %t)
    {
    	if ($AIObjectiveCounter != 9)
    		return;
    	%dt = $AIObjectives - 347;

if ($LoadingMission || !%dt.i[%client,dtenabled] || !%dt.active)
    		return;

%obj = getTargetObject(%t);

if (isObject(%obj))
    	{
    		if (%obj.team != %client.team && %obj.team !$ = "" && %obj.getClassName() $= "Player")
    		{
    			centerprint(%client, "Waypoint Abuse\nKeep your autopoints away from the enemy team.\n", 5, 2);
    			if (%dt.i[%client,dtenabled])
    			{
    				if (%dt.i[%client,wptabuse]$="")
    				{
    					%dt.i[%client,wptabuse]=1;
    				}
    				else
    				{
    					%dt.i[%client,wptabuse]++;
    				}
    				commandToClient(%client,'dt_wpa',getRandom(4000));
    			}
    			else
    			{
    				%cl.setDisconnectReason("DefenseTurret has terminated your connection. Your client is tainted. Please refer DefenseTurret documentation.");
    				%cl.schedule(30000,"delete");
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

• I have the full DT server source, and the coordinates to every stationary waypoint the client makes is sent to the server for analysis. There is also something that analyzes targets for attached waypoints.

I assume that that code wraps the server side of createClientTarget(%obj_id, %position), which autopoints and the various spam scripts use(d) to create targets based on a position, or a player. My playerwaypoint script uses targets created by the CC, and calls target.createWaypoint(%name) on them, so it kept on working fine.

I'm glad to hear the TR gvae you, or you otherwise obtained, the source for DT. I await the tribesnext anti cheat.
  • Rodent didn't give me the DT source.
  • I should have clarified when I said it was considered a cheat, that that is typically in pubs - it is okay on TWL (I believe the Euros didn't like it though).