Did anyone ever make a texture pack?

While the default hi-res textures in Tribes 2 are more than adequate (especially compared to the classic, yet lego-looking textures of Tribes 1), I was just curious as to whether someone ever released a texture pack with higher resolution textures. I just think it would be great to play T2 with Source-engine quality textures or better. So, anyone know of any?

Comments

• The max texture size that Tribes 2 allows is 512x512, and even with that, textures still look pretty stretched in my opinion. You can make them look a little better at the same resolution, but higher resolution textures would only be possible if someone hacks them in somehow.
  • On the same topic, sort of, does anyone know where to get files to start making skins? I have a starter skin for players that I've been messing around with and making skins, but I haven't come across any stock weapons or vehicle skins that I can actually modify worth anything. They're all saved as pngs that I can't really edit because I can't see what's going on. So I guess, in short, does anyone have any that are still saved as psd or do I have to start from scratch?
  • You should be able to open the PNGs and edit them. With Photoshop you also need some sort of PNG fix to make them look normal, so you might need a similar fix for other programs.
  • Well I'm way too poor to afford photochop, so I've been using GIMP and the ones I've made thus far don't seem to bad (for a n00b like me). Do you know of any fix of the like for GIMP or where to start looking/what to search for? Most of the tribes stuff that I search for is just a long chain of broken links. :s
  • I've downloaded higher-res terrain textures before and honestly with 512x512 as the size it gets really muddy quality when stretched onto the field. Not to mention the "shadows" on terrain were hideous with most of the textures I tried.

Some sort of mod to increase the available texture size would be a step in the right direction. I highly doubt you'll get Source engine quality out of it though, it's only T2.
  • All PNG files are in the vl2 files. VL2 files are just renamed zip files with 0 compression.
  • edited January 2010
    I tried 512 on the terrain and I think it looks like that because its overlapping in 256 set up .If it wasn't set up for 256 I think it would look better . I have been looking for months,days and hours all through gg forums and others . I'm wondering if the 512 player skin patch inserted a code switch in the hard code or if it just placed them in textures vl2 . Besides hacking the source I also think we need to update the opengl2d3d.dll and maybe add PhysX and others . All these things can be added and turned on in prefs . Just changing 512 to 1024 in the source code will not be stable If we don't update the other soft wear that runs with tribes2.exe . PS I am starting to wonder about the T2res.dll
  • In response to the OP. Have you visited this link before? They have a link to a Hi-Res Skin pack there. I've never seen it, so I can't comment on its quality.
  • I'm also looking for a texture pack! except this time, it's for tribes 1. You see, in many gameplay videos(I'll call them LP's (Let's-Plays) for now) I've seen people holding weapons with different textures. i have repeatedly searched the web for texture and resource packs, but to no avail. could someone please help me or send me a link? Thanks! ;)