tribesnext VS tribes " 2 main servers" ? resulting in servers not showing up??

It has just came to my attention that people still useing old tribes installs see a diffrent server list than people useing tribesnext.

resulting in people are divided in eatch there world.

i know this is specially true about EU players still useing old system.

but this is shooting yourself in the foot since lacking active EU players since they mostly are useing old system ??

are any mesures being takeing to fix this major bug ?

i for one would like to see the community unite as much as posible again and not falling apart again..

Comments

• What old system? Theres Lan and then TribesNext
  • apprently some other files/mod/patch was released that allows old players to still use there old VU accounts.

not totally secure how this system works but if we compare the server list we get 2 diffrent lists.

it makes no sense to me since all he gave to me was a vl2 file that allows him to do this but he is useing his old orginal install
  • edited January 2009
    I highly doubt that. There is another really poorly designed auth server that no-login people use, but it is absolutely not suited for large-scale use. No one has gotten their old accounts from Sierra. The people using that other auth system are only doing it out of spite because they don't like one or two of the people who use this system. There's not much we can do to unify the lists until they come to their senses.

As for the Euros, well, EU and USA were never unified at any point in the game. Don't see why that would start now. Besides, I think a lot of them have moved to TribesNext and the rest are planning on it. The only people who have it set in their minds to go against us are Rebels and EWO.
  • Yea figured it would be some crap like that -_-

sadly its alot of good super active playersstill doing that.

but i argree what they are doing is so fucking stupid it makes me wanna cry.

all they do is hang around in IRC bitching about how theres no players yet they dont wanna do an fucking effort to improve the game...

so no offence fuck thouse people calling themself old school ....and keeping that attitude.

since they dont even wanna give this a chance.

ask me and they are just afraid to get there asses kicked.

and i almost hope i can offend some of em to come try tribesnext.

and thx for your opinion i just wanted to be confirmed
  • In the end it doesn't matter. TribesNext is technically more sound a solution. Anything that requires manual shortcut trickery or fakes itself into the LAN mode of the game feels like a hack.

And when TN has the chat working and in the future maybe even email and the clan system, the gap in features will only become wider.
  • Yea figured it would be some crap like that -_-

sadly its alot of good super active playersstill doing that.

but i argree what they are doing is so fucking stupid it makes me wanna cry.

all they do is hang around in IRC bitching about how theres no players yet they dont wanna do an fucking effort to improve the game...

so no offence fuck thouse people calling themself old school ....and keeping that attitude.

since they dont even wanna give this a chance.

ask me and they are just afraid to get there asses kicked.

and i almost hope i can offend some of em to come try tribesnext.

and thx for your opinion i just wanted to be confirmed

Welcome to the tribes community. Guess you missed the old days of irc and the various tribes forums.
  • no i was there in IRC =P for alot of years.

but still think its sad the people there dont wanna leave that crap they just wanna play in there own world on there own servers leaveing a community divined =P

after all people like hades still on IRC and they used to be decent players..

but if they dont wanna support a good project not more i can do that this..

i was just trying to make open some people's eyes but i see now that its a waste of time
  • edited January 2009
    and i can only hope you are right werewolf!!!

can only hope they will be forced to see it the right way!

all your bases are belong to Tribesnext!!
  • There is no reason to trouble them for wanting something different. My issue with their auth idea is that a human decides if you get auth or not. With next, it is completely unbiased, the machine issues you an auth. If that human doesn't like you, you may not get an auth. The next machine doesn't have any likes or dislikes.
  • It doesn't matter anyway. Our userbase is going to grow, not only from retired tribes players coming back but new people who have never played the game before. These other so called authorization systems don't have as much advertisement as TribesNext, with the link being posted on Penny Arcade and every major blog and video game website.

The naysayers and the holdouts can't stay that way forever, the old Tribes 2 community is dead. The phoenix is rising from its ashes.
  • well spoken !

all power to tribesnext!
  • There is no reason to trouble them for wanting something different. My issue with their auth idea is that a human decides if you get auth or not. With next, it is completely unbiased, the machine issues you an auth. If that human doesn't like you, you may not get an auth. The next machine doesn't have any likes or dislikes.

If Striker's system was biased; Kryand never would have been authenticated, and he knows it! 8) Before the spamming or flamming starts I personally feel that what Tribesnext (Thyth, Krash and friends) and T2 Bouncer (Striker) accomplished is remarkable. I think the two systems can co-exist. No one using T2 Bouncer wants to drive a wedge in the community, but the server providers wanted more control. Also; if you forget your T2 Bouncer password it can be retrieved quickly, if you lose your Tribesnext password your screwed if you want to keep your Warrior name.
  • who forgets there PW ;)
  • I think the two systems can co-exist.
    Of course they can, we just think ours is better. ;)
    if you lose your Tribesnext password your screwed if you want to keep your Warrior name.
    Use a password you can't possibly forget. :P
  • What I posted above wasn't something I have observed or heard of, just something that is possible. Same reason why I didn't want private masters in Tribes1, the master server op can decide to not list certain servers if he or she so chooses, or certain types of servers. It's the idea, not the practice.
  • if you lose your Tribesnext password your screwed if you want to keep your Warrior name.

In regards to this subject, I can assure you it is for very altruistic reasons that you can't just retrieve it in a pinch. With our system, your password never once leaves your own computer.
    With certain other systems... well, lets just say you should be careful what servers you join if you don't want your account info stolen.
  • if you lose your Tribesnext password your screwed if you want to keep your Warrior name.

In regards to this subject, I can assure you it is for very altruistic reasons that you can't just retrieve it in a pinch. With our system, your password never once leaves your own computer.
    With certain other systems... well, lets just say you should be careful what servers you join if you don't want your account info stolen.

As this is a fairly tight community, would yourself of Thyth be opposed to releasing a specific name if a computer were to crash or for some insane reason and email address removed, and a password be forgotten, provided that the requester can give proof of account ownership?
  • If you keep your private.store file, that is fairly strong proof that the account belonged to you, and you knew the password at some point.

In the future, we'll probably incorporate some sort of password changing system, and a case-by-case reset of passwords.

Thing is... we're already so large, and we have so many accounts, that would already be a huge administrative burden.
  • how many accouts so faar = ;D im curious =D and happy =D
  • We're just over 6000 accounts. There were about 250 people playing on Sunday afternoon/early evening, which corresponds to about 4.1% of the registered accounts playing in game.

Most of those were in the Goon and Branzone servers, which seem to be full, or close to full most of the time.
  • I had about 40 different players connect to my war2009 server just this late afternoon. I have connect logging coded in my mod, so I know for sure. ;D
  • Whats wrong with a simple email based reset system? Seems like when you have browser support it would be straightforward to have an email address part of your browser identity, and password requests could be sent to that email?
  • The authentication server doesn't know your passwords. Your passwords never leave your computer in any easily recoverable format. A salted SHA1 hash of your username and password is sent to the server for the purposes of credential download, as is a private key encrypted by your password. Pretty much the maximum password that can be recovered via SHA1 brute force would be a 10 character lower-alpha-numeric password. Recovering your private key without brute forcing your password would require factoring your public modulus. If you have a 512-bit key, this can be done in about 18 months on a high-end cluster; if you have a 768-bit or 1024-bit key, you can forget about factoring it in your lifetime.

It was a design decision when we created the system, so there would be no way to mass compromise accounts if an unauthorized user gained access to the account database.

When I say I can't help you if you lose your password, I mean it. Do not forget your password. Last I checked, the incidence of alzheimers is pretty low in the age group that plays this game, so I expect people would be able to remember a short string that they picked.

If it is a genuinely serious issue, I can add an optional reversible password database to the authentication server, and allow users to recover their passwords in that manner. This would severely weaken the security around your accounts though.
  • The entire system seems overkill to me. Then again my major is not information security.
  • edited January 2009
    I think the two systems can co-exist.
    Of course they can, we just think ours is better. ;)
    if you lose your Tribesnext password your screwed if you want to keep your Warrior name.
    Use a password you can't possibly forget. :P

That always worked for me; but I know lot's of peeps in the past that had to wait a week for Sierra to answer their email req for lost passwords! So I know there will be people requesting assistance, call it Moore's Law or human nature! :D

Just wanted to add that; putting all that dividing the community apart crap aside, what you and Striker did (the two different projects) re-engineering this game has me in awe! You guys rock and all T2 fans are in your debt!
  • I highly doubt that. There is another really poorly designed auth server that no-login people use, but it is absolutely not suited for large-scale use. No one has gotten their old accounts from Sierra. The people using that other auth system are only doing it out of spite because they don't like one or two of the people who use this system. There's not much we can do to unify the lists until they come to their senses.

As for the Euros, well, EU and USA were never unified at any point in the game. Don't see why that would start now. Besides, I think a lot of them have moved to TribesNext and the rest are planning on it. The only people who have it set in their minds to go against us are Rebels and EWO.

Not true!

They use it because server admins want real powers over their server and be confident that a person cannot go and register hundreds of accounts. That's the facts, jack!

I'd appreciate it if you'd cut out this "us against them" crap? It's juvenile, and it's comments like that that are divisive. The truth is most, if not all players just want to play. The server providers just want control over their servers, that is all!

Accounts can't be stolen with the in-game login info since it's independent of the player's actual account. If someone accidentally types their login into global chat, they can simply change their in-game password.

Accounts can't be stolen with the in-game login info since it's independent of the player's actual account. If someone accidentally types their login into global chat, they can simply change their in-game password.
    What if the victim isn't immediately online when his/her account is stolen? By the time s/he gets here, the stealer will have caused all the damage he wanted, and be done.
  • edited January 2009
    What if the victim isn't immediately online when his/her account is stolen? By the time s/he gets here, the stealer will have caused all the damage he wanted, and be done.

What damage are you referring to though? The only thing that can be done is temporary impersonation-- which will be logged so the real offender can be dealt with even if the player doesn't know it happened. Having a player's in-game login wont give you access to any account information or allow them to modify it.

Come January 28th, when the clientside vl2 will be required, logins wont ever be sent to the server in the first place, so all of this is largely a moot point.
  • What if the victim is an admin on a popular server (or any server for that matter)? While the actions they do are not exactly hard to reverse, it can still be tedious or annoying for the people who have to do it.
This discussion has been closed.