Authentication Server Status

Is there any place where we can see whether or not the Authentication Server Status is online?

Reason for asking: Trying to create an account and having to wait for nothing to happen. I have no firewall or anti-virus program.

Comments

• Step one tells you if you can access the server. If you are experiencing the lag @ step two, that is normal, and you should not close tribes, you are generating your key. This can take several minutes, so just wait.
  • The server is online. I typically announce when it goes down, and when it comes up. If you can't reach it, it's a connectivity issue on your end.

Alternatively, if you want to verify it is online manually... find out the current IP address/port from http://www.tribesnext.com/auth, open a telnet program to that system, then type in "AVAIL". The server will send "AVAIL" back if it is available.
  • edited January 2009
    That's not it...the first time I ran your program it didn't do anything, it just said checking server status.

The next time I ran it, it keeps saying, server is offline or unreachable. I'd just like to know so that I won't have to stay on Tribes 24/7 to see whether or not the server is up. I would really appreciate that. ^_^

---
    edited
    ---
    Thanks for your help. But I have no idea how to get to telnet. :/
  • So...sorry to kinda hijack this thread, but I'm having the same problem too. All my firewalls are off (including the windows one), I've been trying for around 15 minutes now on telnet to even connect to the server to no avail...is there something we're doing wrong?
  • Thyth:

Expecting gamers to "open a telnet program...." is VERY inconsiderate.

You DO realize that, unless you add telnet as a windows option, it isn't even -installed- in Vista right?

I look at your signature and boggle at how big your ego is compared to your wisdom.....

Edit: because I kant spel....

Edit2: To remove the "bug", heh
  • to be fair:

The auth server isn't usually unreachable for very long at all, unless you have reachability issues.

You could run a traceroute, and a few other tricks, as well as looking glass traces to verify whether you are alone in not reaching it, but that is woefully outside what most people ever know for troubleshooting.
  • I ran a few traceroutes and it seems that right before it gets to the server there are two or so places that I lose 100% of the data, which I guess is why I can't connect. On a side note, there is also between 15-17 hops which isn't good and one of the hops is being very erratic in its response time. Sooo...what does this mean? Because I personally have no idea.
  • "Lost" packets in a trace is usually just routers that do not respond to ICMP requests. Also, most competent router designs drop ICMP (ping/trace, etc) when traffic levels are high. This is by design. If you are reaching the server, or getting real close(xxx.xxx.xxx matches) then chances are that you can -reach it-. for non- vista (Windows) machines, goto:

Start>run
    type "cmd" without the quotes
    In the black box that appears, type "telnet ip address" no quotes, and replacing ip address with the auth server IP you discover form thyth's link. then type whatever he wrote(auth I believe), and you should get valid up response.

Honestly, though, if you can get a telnet prompt, the server is very likely up.

Pretty sure that covers it.

In Vista: Goto programs and features in control panel
    There's and add/remove windows components link on side
    click link, find telnet, and choose to install it.

You now have telnet installed for use.
  • Oh, and you can do public "looking glass" traces to see how the trace looks from a major carrier's router also.

Google up "looking glass"

Use Sprint, Digex, QWEST, AT&T UUNET/ALTNETor Level 3 looking glass peering point routers.

If you are interested, Wiki up Looking glass traceroutes or looking glass routers, etc
  • Typing in just the IP gives me 'cannot connect on port 23' so i tried ip and 8060 after it and it just sits. running some looking glass traces and it gets to around stop 10 and just sits and brings nothing over and over from point 11 on. So this means its not just me, correct?
  • Thyth:

Expecting gamers to "open a telnet program...." is VERY inconsiderate.

You DO realize that, unless you add telnet as a windows option, it isn't even -installed- in Vista right?

I look at your signature and boggle at how big your ego is compared to your wisdom.....

Edit: because I kant spel....

Edit2: To remove the "bug", heh
    Holy crap. That's some attitude.

Did I expect him to open a Telnet client and test for availability on his system? Did I tell him to do that as a necessary condition for support? While I'm sure you think the other people on this board pale in comparison to your vast intellect, there happen to be people on this board with a degree of technical knowledge for which that piece of information could be useful as diagnosis.

In any case, Avatar visited us on IRC, and provided us with additional information. We were able to determine that his game download was corrupted. Seems that whoever put together the GameSpy Installer didn't bother to include any integrity checking on the installer contents, since this isn't the first time a corrupted version of the installer has caused problems. Tomato may be having the same issue.

I computed the MD5 sum of the installer on the VM I used to generate the installation screenshots as 93460541ddd3bdff9b30829ba04f2186. If the MD5 of the copy of your game installer differs from that value, you may want to re-download. Bittorrent includes integrity checking, so I would advise going that route.
  • I'll try redownloading then, even though i did use bittorrent to begin with. How do I check this MD5 thing?
  • You can download a nice MD5Sum utility for Windows from http://www.md5summer.org/download.html. Just select the directory where your copy of the installer is, select the installer, then create the sum. Hopefully you'll get the same MD5 hash as I posted.
  • For the game (the GSI file) I got 93460541ddd3bdff9b30829ba04f2186 and for the patch I got f256b19de515470b306f073cf3f56e72. Obviously, you were refering (sp) to the GSI and we both have the same hash, so i dont think its a corrupt download, but ill finish downloading just in case...so I guess were stuck now. Any more suggestions? Oh, and thanks for all the help so far, I haven't seen a community take in newbies like me this well before.
  • If you could join us in IRC during the day (US timezones), I'm sure someone could help you diagnose more interactively. If the MD5 sum is the same for the installer, it looks like you got a good download of it.
  • If you could join us in IRC during the day (US timezones), I'm sure someone could help you diagnose more interactively. If the MD5 sum is the same for the installer, it looks like you got a good download of it.

Alright, I'll have to do that. Thanks for the help!
  • Alright, I tried to connect to the IRC...but it wont connect either. AH! Now what?
  • I have the exact same problem as these other guys here and also no firewalll and my hash check shows the install to be not corrupted. Someone please help I MUST play tribes 2
  • The login process fails for me at step one as well. I have no firewall installed, and Windows Firewall is off. I even tried turning my antivirus off and setting my affinity to only a single core. I'm running a Core 2 Quad Q9300 and an Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 512mb. I downloaded both the game and the tribes next patch from this site and installed them. All other online applications work fine.
  • im have dis problem 2 help plz