Help setting up dedicated server at port 28000

Hey guys,

Looking through the forums I couldn't find anything on this that gave a specific answer =) only one thread where poster Evil Genius got it working, but never came back to tell us how! haha

anyways, after trying both the ispawn and tribes next online (in-game) hosting of a dedicated server, I cannot get the server to be contacted

the exact error i get is

"- Your server could not be contacted.
- Check your IP / port configuration."

Now I've opened ports before to host on various games, so using the same simple steps I simply opened up 28000 for TCP/UDP. I also opened 80 for heartbeat (I saw the port mentioned in another thread about hosting).

Ever after opening, I get the same error. Is there anything that could have an effect on opening ports? nothing pops up on my firewall asking for permission. The only thing I can think of would be maybe the security on my router (linksys WRT54G) or perhaps my fresh install of windows on this computer last week, which was, of course, after I had set up all my ports previously.

could a fresh install of windows reset the computer's local IP? or is it just the security being enabled that messed with my port forwarding?

or is it something completely different? haha

any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I just set $IPv4::InetAddress to my public IP address in serverPrefs.cs since I already know what it is.
  • I have that exact same router :P.

My solution(because I had this exact same problem) is find your IP address for LAN which should be in the wireless network connection status pop-up, use that in the port forwarding process, it should look something like this:

Application: Tribes2
    Start: 27999
    End: 28000
    Protocol: Both
    IP Address: xxx.xxx.x.[Last Three Digits Of LAN IP]
    Enable: [X]
  • Awesome thanks!

After posting I kind of realized I had a brain fart.

Something happened somewhere along the way where I had previously set this comp's local IP to 192.168.1.136, and all of my port forwarding was done for that IP.

I went back and realized that after some time ago, I couldn't host anything even with ports open. I went and did a run>cmd>ipconfig and realized my local IP had changed to xxx.xxx.x.101 rather than .136. Silly me. Works fine now!

I think I may have to dl and run from a separate machine, however. I keep getting mini-stutters. I think this was because of a dual core system? I'm going to try hosting it on a single core laptop.

and don't worry I'll remember to open the ports to that IP as well ;-) haha.

Thanks again
  • Mini-stutter is an affinity issue. There is a thread with 4 possible solutions in the FAQ.
  • Ahh yea I had seen those threads earlier what I was looking for a solution to this problem.

I just went with the easy route and decided to set up a dedicated server on my laptop =).

Thanks again!
  • Not A Problem Raoull.
  • Ahh yea I had seen those threads earlier what I was looking for a solution to this problem.

I just went with the easy route and decided to set up a dedicated server on my laptop =).

Thanks again!

The mini-stutter is a simple solution (and I have to do it on all my servers). Create a .cs file in ../scripts/autoexec (it can be anything... like "stutterfix.cs").

Paste this in:
    setPerfCounterEnable(0);

Save the file, kill the server and re-run the dedi server batch file. Your stutter should be fixed.

If you are running Classic mod and update it to 1.5.2 (which is NOT included in the Tribes install), there is a setting in the ServerPrefs.cs that you can change. Something like "ClassicHighPerformanceCounter". You would set that to '0'.