Cannot see list of servers to choose from

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this and what you suggest. My brother and I are trying to connect to Tribes 2 to play. We've downloaded the game and update patch.

My brother is directly connected to the internet, while I am on a wireless connection to the router. My brother can play the game just fine. I have been able to register an account name, and I can login just fine, but when I go to join a server, there is none listed. This happens while my brother plays, and when he is not playing.

I have Windows Firewall and AVG Free 8.0 latest version. I am connected to a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router.

I have tried the following scenarios:
-Disable Windows Firewall and AVG - failed
-Enable Windows Firewall with SierraUp exception and AVG on - failed
-Enable Windows Firewall with SierraUp exception and AVG off - failed
-Disable Windows Firewall with AVG on - failed
-Enable Windows Firewall with SierraUp, Tribes2 exceptions and AVG on - failed
-Enable Windows Firewall with SierraUp, Tribes2 exceptions and AVG off - failed

I can ping the servers just fine in dos prompt. When I first got the TribesNext software (Tribes2 with patch), I was not prompted to unblock the software when I ran it - I had to add these exceptions manually.

I also run World of Warcraft from this computer and that works just fine.

At this point I think the issue lies within the router blocking the Tribes 2 client from seeing the servers. I'm not sure if I have a lan cable long enough to directly connect to the internet and test.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Executives

Comments

• Have you disabled http checking with your anti virus?
  • Have you disabled http checking with your anti virus?

I can't seem to find the HTTP checking settings on AVG free 8.0
    Anyone know where to find it?
  • If I recall correctly, someone else had the same problem. Turned out that AVG still did HTTP checking even thought it was "turned off".
  • Hey Guys,

I found the solution to this problem.

Uninstall AVG, get avast! antivirus. AVG 8 doesn't give you full control over it's functionality, and it was blocking Tribes2 from seeing out to other servers. I got fed up with it and just uninstalled it, then booted up Tribes2, and was playing on Goon Haven in no time!

I've since installed avast! antivirus and was able to see the servers in game.

So there you have it. Maybe a sticky of known software conflicts could be made for quicker troubleshooting?

Executives
  • Thanks a lot for sharing the solution, I was just about to hurl when I found your info
  • Almost all of the people who have joined IRC with this problem have been running AVG. A handful had firewalls they forgot about. A few had affinity problems.

The cause in AVG is probably some sort of heuristic false-positive, since all that is returned by the web server is a list of IP addresses and ports.
  • So, there is no way to run T2 online with AVG installed?