Quick question on updating

So I know that when you install and patch, the vanilla installation puts up shortcuts; one for offline/LAN, and one for online. The online one normally runs through the SierraUp.exe. I'm running TimeHUD, which passes args along straight to Tribes2.exe, and so I don't run SierraUp at all.

Do we use SierraUp at all for pushing out updates or anything? Is there a plan to use it that way or have some other auto-update thing?
Or because the news tab is up in-game to alert of updates, is that the main method of updating?

Comments

• The SierraUp replacement we've included simply passes through to Tribes2.exe, as this allows people to continue using the original shortcuts.
    The auto-update system is not currently implemented in the release, but when it is, it will be run through the ruby interpreter ingame.
  • Yeah... the SierraUp we put in the patch is only there to make the game default shortcuts work. It's really a pathetically short C program:
    /*
     * sierraup.c
     *  Created on: Oct 31, 2008
     */

#include 
    #include 
    #include 

int main(int argc, char** argv)
    {
    	printf("SierraUp Replacement 1.0 (10/31/2008)\nhttp://www.tribesnext.com/\nLaunching Tribes 2...\n");

char* argBuffer = (char*)calloc(32767, sizeof(char));
    	strcat(argBuffer, "start Tribes2.exe -online ");
    	int i;
    	for (i = 1; i < argc; i++)
    	{
    		strcat(argBuffer, argv[i]);
    		strcat(argBuffer, " ");
    	}
    	printf("Args: %s", argBuffer + 6);
    	fflush(stdout);

Sleep(3000);
    	system(argBuffer);

return 0;
    }

If we ever get around to auto-updating, it will be handled internally.
  • Ahh okay. Thanks!