A Touching Story - AKA Beginner's Basics

2»

Comments

• edited May 2009
    I find that base is a great mod to use as a starting point, since it's so damn slow that any player can pick up the basics without having to worry about needing to help their team right this minute right freakin' now. Version2 is a good mod to transition to classic, but it shouldn't be used for anything else.
  • edited May 2009
    Hmm, thanks for all the advice on the keys. I think I like the F for grenade, and X for pack... because i do prefer to be able to reach over being able to remember.

Thanks again.

And, as for leaving... perhaps I should. After all, who's fault is it? No one asks anyone to reply, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it at all. Otherwise, telling people to ALT + F4, is a good way to tell people to quit the game never come again.

Edit - What's the targetting laser for?
  • How does Tribes 2 have's the worst comunity if almost all the players since the game release still didn't leave the game ?

Actually most of the players since the game release have left. There are very, very few of the original players left.

The ones that are left and being nasty to new players are kind of like what you find at the bottom of a settling tank at a Sewage Plant. It's not something to be proud of. :)

When you have a community that is close to extinction you don't drive away new blood for the gene pool just because you think you are better than them. You eventually end up playing on a server with Bots. Of which almost, I did say ALMOST, all of the populated servers in the list are filled with bots right now.
  • Sorry for you. But seems that you ended up to normal Classic server where are most idiotic players without no gameplay or social skills. It is sad that Classic players usually do not have will to teach new players to start. It only would take few minutes to teach basics and then give them few tasks to do. But Classic is just that, it ruines the game totally, as most of T2 mods. Base is the only true Tribes 2 mode and it is the original how T2 was designed to play. But many does not like it because it ain't so fast, you can not own alone few guys and gameplay is all ways much easier than on base.
    See, this is an example of the kind of person to whom I am rude. He obviously doesn't believe that he himself is a newb, but the content of what he is saying proves that he is still a newb regardless of how long he has been playing. His time might playing might qualify him to teach you the very basics of Tribes 2, which the rest of his post does, but he is no where near a level to discuss the different mods or the pro/cons of playing each one. It's probably best if you just ignore people who say things like this for a while, Evlesoa. Base and Classic are both good for getting used to the basics of Tribes 2. Beyond that, they both have their uses, but make sure the person who explains those uses to you actually knows what he's talking about (not Scholtz).
  • Sorry for you. But seems that you ended up to normal Classic server where are most idiotic players without no gameplay or social skills. It is sad that Classic players usually do not have will to teach new players to start. It only would take few minutes to teach basics and then give them few tasks to do. But Classic is just that, it ruines the game totally, as most of T2 mods. Base is the only true Tribes 2 mode and it is the original how T2 was designed to play. But many does not like it because it ain't so fast, you can not own alone few guys and gameplay is all ways much easier than on base.
    See, this is an example of the kind of person to whom I am rude. He obviously doesn't believe that he himself is a newb, but the content of what he is saying proves that he is still a newb regardless of how long he has been playing. His time might playing might qualify him to teach you the very basics of Tribes 2, which the rest of his post does, but he is no where near a level to discuss the different mods or the pro/cons of playing each one. It's probably best if you just ignore people who say things like this for a while, Evlesoa. Base and Classic are both good for getting used to the basics of Tribes 2. Beyond that, they both have their uses, but make sure the person who explains those uses to you actually knows what he's talking about (not Scholtz).

It's probably best if you ignore posts like this one.
  • And not Abstract either.
  • How do you switch positions in a tank? and... how come i can't deploy a turret barrel? it says no turrets near by? i don't get it...
  • How do you switch positions in a tank? and... how come i can't deploy a turret barrel? it says no turrets near by? i don't get it...

To switch positions, you just have to jump out and then jump into the other square shaped player slot on the top of the tank. Turret barrels are for changing the weapon type of a base(large non-deployable default map turret) or MPB turret. You have to be close to one to change it. For example, many of the base turrets are default armed with plasma. You can change this by carrying a turret barrel pack of your choice to the turret you want to change and then activating your pack while looking at the turret and while being within a close proximity to it.

I hope you're discovering which players have obtained a maturity level high enough to be helpful.
  • It seems to me... that, the only nice people are on forums, ahaha

The in-game ones don't talk much...

Also, how does the bomber work? I don't get it...
    That's debatable :P
    They're busy killing each other, no time for "small talk" ;)
    You have a pilot, a bombardier, and a tailgunner. Pilot does the flying (dur), bombardier mans the guns (bombs, targeting laser, and a large blaster), and the tailgunner provides support (flares, firing at shrikes, etc).
    What's the targetting laser for?
    Targeting laser allows you to paint a target so your teammates can fire mortars from a distance and hit said target (think of the targeting laser as a reusable beacon, effectively), or to point out snipers, incoming heavies, etc...

You should also check out the Newbie's Guide.
  • edited May 2009
    I commend this thread for its helpfulness. Just in case, any flames in this thread will result in removal of said flame and a prompt 48 hour ban of said perpetrator. Be warned :)

Btw Welcome to Tribes 2 Evlesoa!!!
  • Thanks Shane.

@ Robert / Turkey

So how does the bomber dude target anything? I mean, how do you select your target you want to attack? seems each time i try to attack a turret with a bomber, the little bombs vaporize before they even reach the ground, and they don't even come CLOSE to the turret i wanted to bomb...

Explain, again... please :\

Thanks!!
  • I commend this thread for its helpfulness. Just in case, any flames in this thread will result in removal of said flame and a prompt 48 hour band of said perpetrator
    Is the band actually made up of clones of the perpetrator, or do we just get to be the front man for a band?
  • There is a red bombing reticle that the bomber can see. Remember there are two weapons in a bomber, the plasma shots and the actual bombs themselves. Change the weapon till you see bombs falling. Be careful not to drop them to close to the ground, you will blow up your own bomber .
    Thanks Shane.

@ Robert / Turkey

So how does the bomber dude target anything? I mean, how do you select your target you want to attack? seems each time i try to attack a turret with a bomber, the little bombs vaporize before they even reach the ground, and they don't even come CLOSE to the turret i wanted to bomb...

Thanks!!
  • Based on that control scheme, I must conclude that Eolk has 3 arms.
    Sometimes it feels that way. :D
    Personally, I never bothered and instead changed to WASD as soon as possible. The problem with the built in WASD config is: 'P' is a horrible key for 'Use Pack', 'M' is unacceptable for 'Place Mine', 'G' might be too far to reach to 'Throw Grenade', and likewise 'H' might be too far to reach for 'Use Health Kit'. Those 4 keys are very important, so all three of them should be pressable without having to move either hand.
    Don't knock my keyboard config. ;)

Yeah, my keyboard layout isn't the best, but, I've used it for a long time, and it works for me.
  • I use quake controls.
  • wsad
    q - max toss mine
    g - max toss nade
    h - health pack
    f - pack on/off
    r - 3rd person
    e - zoom
    z - adjust zoom level
    c - cc
    x - toggle cchud
    f2 - check score
    b - beacon
    t - global
    y - team
    u - resize chat window
    ctrl k - take a guess
    ctrl h - toss health kit
    ctrl r - toss pack
    ctrl f - toss flag
    tab - free look
    n - task window

that's most of my setup. i have most of the right side of my keyboard bound to various script functions, but they aren't necessary for while i'm playing, so i never need to move my hand. I'm also lightning fast at hitting ctrl k for suicide, just to make sure people don't get points off of me
  • In all FPS games I play online I use both joystick in the left hand for movement and all controls and a mouse in the right hand for aiming, weapons and firing. It's amazing how many useful commands you can get on the 5 thumb buttons and 8 way HAT on a joystick. :)

It always shocks people when they find out I play that way. Especially when I tend to be in the top 5 or so players on the server. :D I am playing Quakewars: ET if you want to check out how well I play using a joystick and mouse. Been years since I played T2. I tried it a couple of nights ago. Damn I am rusty as hell. ;)

Even tried playing without any scripts and thought "Man this is bland.". :)
  • There is a red bombing reticle that the bomber can see. Remember there are two weapons in a bomber, the plasma shots and the actual bombs themselves. Change the weapon till you see bombs falling. Be careful not to drop them to close to the ground, you will blow up your own bomber .
    Thanks Shane.

@ Robert / Turkey

Thanks!!
    There are three things you can do in the bomber position

1.let loose of the bombs destroy everything
    2.plasma turret good at taking down shrikes,bombers etc.but not the most powerful thing in the world.
    3.laser this will help you put a beacon on the target you want to bomb like a vpad or maybe and mpb.It will stay there unless you use the laser on another target or your bomber gets shot down.

If you havent looked there are some pretty good guides here http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0
  • Well guys, thank you very much for the support!! :D

I will read over the guides, and look over my controls once again and see what you did, especially that lengthy list of controls on this page!! :D
  • I've been playing Tribes 2 for a long time, and yes, a lot of the guys are assholes =P

I even once got threatened to have my internet shut off by some dude running around servers trying to catch anybody who dared edit his modded weapon without his permission. Had chat logs and everything. Also, I notice (Mainly just construction mod) that a lot of the guys are extremely protective of anything that belongs to them. Try adding a beacon to someone else's building and it's over. I think I once got banned so badly my game crashed.

-Anyway eh, oh yeah the point, Tribes 2 players are assholes, welcome to the club! >:( ;D
  • Thought I'd re-title to the thread now that it's an ABC Special.

If you really want help, join irc.tribalwar.com and join #lastgasp. If you just announce that you are new, and need help setting things up and have some questions to ask. They will answer them quickly and can also guide you to all facets of the game.
  • They will answer them quickly and can also guide you to all facets of the game.

"LOL newb gtfo"
  • Random ass-odd config that's good for people with freakish jack-skellington spider hands like me:

Q: strafeleft
    W: Forwards
    E: Straferight
    A: Mine OR grenade OR Special. Tribes has amazing scripts, this can change for each server
    S: Backwards
    D: Jump/jet
    R: Use pack
    F: Throw grenade
    Z: Medkit
    V: Voicecomms, it's tradition.
    Space: Jet/Jump

I've also got a 5 button mouse with a tilt-wheel that I rebound the left/right tilt to [ and ] so I have quick access to several more keys. I use rightmouse for zooming but I also spend a LOT of time on defense or lobbing mortars so it comes in handy.

It's an odd control scheme but if you've got long thin fingers it's less stressful on the knuckles than WASD and puts your fingers right next to 1-3 while giving you VERY quick access to ADZXCRFVT L-Alt L-shift and Tab. Master the use of modifier keys and you've effectively got 16 keys directly under your left fingers, including mine-discing keys that you can use during movement.