GTW's dead... time to start over?

I haven't seen anything from GTW or it's original creator, but I've heard a few times that people miss it. Is this true? I may be interested in creating it over (from scratch, naturally), but I'm missing a few things if enough people want to see this happen:

1: A server
2: The large serverside GTW maps, unless you guys want the clientside ones again.

Comments

• Do it, keen!
  • DO IT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PARTY.
    what is this i dont even?
  • GTW is fun but there probably aren't enough people to support it.

The old version is base and the new is Classic, so you probably have to rework some maps to take advantage of the Classic physics.
  • edited August 2009
    Never played GTW with lots of people but the concept sounded pretty cool, so yes :)
    I'm not sure whether the 'Base' or 'Classic' mod is better for GTW's gameplay I think that needs to be discussed first. I also think that GTW shouldn't change T2 that much. So in the end it shouldn't be a total conversion with different vehicles, weapons or whatever but just another ruleset like Siege and CTF are.

@robertom
    What is Great Tribal War?
    GTW is a mod for Tribes 2 (obviously). The game basically plays exactly as normal tribes as you know it. You have all the same vehicles and weapons and tools at your disposal. The differences are these:

* The maps are 100km2 (10km x 10km maps) beautifully rendered based off real world areas.
    * The primary objective is to build your own base and defend your team's Global Positioning Targeter (a.k.a. GPT - looks like the capture and hold switch) while attempting to destroy your enemy's GPT. The question is, where are they?!
    * You and your enemy can move the GPT ANYWHERE YOU WANT on the map. There are hardened structures to help you defend your GPT or you can set it somewhere in the field and attempt to hide it in an obscure place somewhere in the hopes the enemy can't find it.
    * You can build your own base! Design the setup anyway you want it. From base turret placement to the location of your Inventory stations all the way down to the placement of your sentry turrets.
    * Get to the front lines quicker by building a forward field base! Setup a quick base with some power and an inventory station and deploy a teleporter pad to bring your friends to the front line quicker!
    * Don't forget the power! All base items require power to operate. Bring along a Solar pack to keep everything powered up within 50 meters of that panel. You can also use multiple power sources to as backup power to keep key items running. Also, as long as the GPT has power, it cannot be destroyed.
    * What happens when I destroy the enemy's GPT? The enemy can no longer spawn in the map! The remaining players on that team must regroup and make one last stand against the enemy. Once all the enemies are killed then the last team standing wins. If BOTH GPTs are destroyed, whoever is last standing wins. Keep in mind when you are moving your GPT to it's new home or trying to survive, that your team won't be able to spawn until you deploy it at its new location.
  • This game mode seems very cool but the maps the maps seem to small.

It takes 2 seconds to go from 1 end to the other. Rendering it pointless you at least need the map to be 500 KM from Base to Base to give the teams some area to hide it and i would support it.

for the Downloads i think anyone who say it would download it. I mean not only could the maps work for this single GTW gamemode but it could work for other modes as well

About The Server you could rent one from some random Indian Company in india for Some Cheap Dollars but it would be Unreliable other then that i cant help you but my buddy from diablo 2 blazing fire mod might be able to set you up with a CHeap one in the USA

The Modding. Well i can just do models and half-decent Artwork. so i cant really help but im willing to do some art. Although i dont think i could make a map unless you fully taught me how to put it together.

Umm i know i sound like a noob alot but.... nvm im sorry
  • The original version was basically base + construction, you captured bases by setting down a GPT, boarded up entrances with walls, set down a generator, turrets, etc... there were several bases in a 10k x 10k area, and your objective was to find and destroy the enemy team/GPT.

I'm not sure what happened in newer versions, but that's the GTW I remember. You never flew across the map instantly O.o
  • edited August 2009
    Don't know how much you followed goku's development keen but the most drastic new changes I remember were:
    • Support for 4 Teams
    • Serverside -> pretty boring maps
    • Havoc is able to transport MPBs and Tanks (pick up and drop with "r")
    • Classic physics (which I didn't like since you nearly always move in vehicles anyway)

Illustration (Havoc, 4 Teams, boring map)
    Tribes_2_GUR6BOEM.jpg
  • 4 teams is kind of hard to pull off (well). Classic physics would be a moot point as with maps that big, you pretty much are required to be airborne just to cover more area.

In any case, should this be clientside or serverside then? And I'm thinking about giving team vehicles a few bonuses as well, for teamwork purposes. Bonuses to passenger damage, or shield/armor strength based on number of players.. that sort of thing.
  • I'd say go server-side, but then you're so horribly limited in the scale and missions...

Plus, if you go client-side and stumble across a modeler ... :D
  • I like the havoc thing, I think a mix between base and classic physics might be better for it, or bigger maps and Classic physics.
  • ehem i can model some such stuff
  • I'll probably use the old quad wing shrike I threw in Mechina then, and the old clientside map pack. I assume there must be enough interest in the old-style GTW for people to want to play it again?
  • Ill play it.
  • ehem i can model some such stuff
    what modeller u use and what do you use to convert the models to dts shapes?
  • I have a lot of great memories playing GTW. It's a great team-based mod and gets very strategic at times. For those who havn't played the GTW mod, take my word you will love it :)

And Keen, you should totally go for it man ;)
  • Don't waste your time with it. The max players you will get would be...5. That's why the creators aren't here anymore...it didn't work out.
  • The max players you will get would be...5.
    That's more than play TSW!
    Sorry keen, I had to!
  • edited August 2009
    The max players you will get would be...5.
    That's more than play TSW!
    Sorry keen, I had to!

At least we had people at the pickup game >:(
  • edited September 2009
    I would be all for this. Some of the experiments tried with the post TN versions of GTW didn't work out too well (i.e. 4 teams). The Classic physics, we were hoping, would bring in some of the classic-playing vet population, but that never seemed to happen.

Why don't you email Gokou via a private message on this forum and talk to him about it?
  • I would be all for this. Some of the experiments tried with the post TN versions of GTW didn't work out too well (i.e. 4 teams). The Classic physics, we were hoping, would bring in some of the classic-playing vet population, but that never seemed to happen.

Why don't you email Gokou via a private message on this forum and talk to him about it?

Well, I don't have the time I used to, so I'm not sure if I can do this. If I had a team though, of halfway competent coders I could do it though. GTW is a simple concept that needs some out-of-the-box thinking.

GokouZWar wanted to initially combine my other project (TSW) with GTW, but it was voted against. He disappeared, and I have no idea where he is, leaving me to either rebuild from scratch (what I'd rather do) or find an old version of GTW to mod.
  • He'll probably reply if you PM him on here (sends him an email notification, I believe). Rebuilding from scratch sounds somewhat attractive, but it seems it would be easier if you had the actual mod to consult while rebuilding. If that makes any sense. Unfortunately, I'm not a coder, so I can't help you there, but I'll do what I can.

The real question is, though... Base or Classic?
  • The classic vets are voting for classic I'm sure, though there will be very little for Classic to take advantage of. I mean, there's no flags to cap, no routes to learn, and skiing would be the same in base vs classic with those huge hills. I however did have a hand in fixing bugs in Classic over base as well, back when it was being created, so classic does have bug fixes (hence me using Classic for TSW).

Honestly, I dunno. Maybe a vote?
  • I've never tried Base++. Are there any other differences?
  • I've never tried Base++. Are there any other differences?
    base++ is basically what wanted to be classic mod before the executable was modified in 25026 to make classic mod possible.
    ...better gravity than Classic.
    base++ was written before gravity settings even existed in Tribes 2. If you like base gravity...
  • I'm not sure how useful that would be in GTW, where there is no base turtling. Also, if I can find the original mod files I wouldn't need to start over from scratch. Regardless, GTW is a mod that takes place with the following:

* Get your team's GPT, find a base, deploy GPT to create a spawn point.
    * Fly around in air vehicles to find the enemy base
    * Grab a Havoc or Thundersword to assault enemy base, and land troops nearby
    * Capture or defend base
    * Eventually destroy GPT, win game

Since the bases are like 7-8km away from each other, I don't see skiing happening all too often to get between bases, and this distance requires more teamwork in scouting out locations, possibly even aerial combat. The only thing Classic would offer to GTW is bug fixes/gravity changes. What exactly would Base++ contribute to this?
  • The only thing Classic would offer to GTW is bug fixes/gravity changes.

Plus minedisking, always-effective sensor jammer pack, medium-armor-deployed inventories that don't run out of energy, and a host of other small tweaks. I don't know whether we should use those for GTW either, but I think the reasoning is that the vets will be more amenable to the idea if it's Classic. Awfully stuck in their ways, some of them are.
  • dude the shrike already goes like 700 KPH. having to walk in base physics is just that much worse
  • I've been up to 2000+ in that shrike before...
  • I'm not one usually to argue classic, but in this case it's useful, if only for one thing: cameras detect sensor jammed people. That became pretty important and a wonderful strategic element for base design.

I tried to post what was at least a recent .vl2 for the game I had on me but it wasn't letting me. I'm sure other people might have some if you asked around. Since I think if you're going to start from scratch it's especially important to have a small game with the old mod and see how it works.