RC2 patch not working

Hey guys, sorry if this is addressed in another topic but I searched around and couldn't find anything...
I had the rc1 patch working just fine and I patched over it with rc2 and tribes 2 stopped launching. I did a full reinstall of tribes, updated, and then patched with rc2 and still nothing. I'm kind of stumped.. I double click the classiconline.bat and it looks like its going to run but then nothing happens. Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• By the way I should mention that I'm running T2 on a mac using Crossover Games and I have been doing this for a very long time with no hiccups. Here's a log of whats going on when I try to launch the game..

---

Starting '/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--workdir' '/Users/spencerroberts/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Tribes 2/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData' '--run' '--'
    '/Users/spencerroberts/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Tribes 2/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/Classic_online.bat'

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

File not found

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
    err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
    err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000008 at address 0x6dce247c (thread 0040), starting debugger...
  • Any chance I can get the RC1 patch again so I can revert? Is this hosted somewhere still?
  • You might want to try a fresh install of the game. Sounds like a bad patch process. There shouldn't be anything different enough to cause problems like that between the RC1 and RC2 branches.

The older patch is available here: http://www.tribesnext.com/files/TribesNext_rc1e.exe
  • Thanks, but I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both t2, AND crossover games (just to be safe) and I get the same problem. In a very strange situation I manged to get to the tribesnext login in the game and when I typed my info it said something like "Tribes 2 wasn't run from the patched executable, close your game and make sure the patch was completed successfully." Not knowing how to do this....I ended up here again. I will try rc1 and report back but if you have any other suggestions I'm all ears!
  • Ok, just installed fresh with rc1 and it worked perfectly. There must be something up with rc2...atleast for those of us (probably just me) running on a mac with crossover games or some other wine based "emulator." Hopefully this can be fixed but I understand it's probably not a huge priority. I am glad to be a tester though if/when you choose to address this. Thanks
  • Just curious if there have been any developments in this area...I read somewhere that rc2 should work perfectly with wine1.11 and later, and crossover games runs on the latest version of wine so there's clearly some other issue here. Now with SI for construction out I would REALLY like to get on rc2!
  • hey guys! i'm new to the board. glad to be here and all that.

well, my problem seems to fall under spence's here. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and Wine ver 1.1.18. I installed Tribes 2 no problem and was able to run both online and offline without a sweat. Loads up gloriously. God I love this game.

So then I install rc2a and that goes without a hitch as well. Problem is- now when I try to run Tribes 2... nothing happens. The system 'thinks' for a moment, hard drive spins and then... nada. Using system monitor I can see that Tribes2.exe still running but just hanging there... and the only two things having any CPU activity are something called 'wineserver' (related to wine... duh i'm sure) and rubyintersect.dll...

Help?

I tried doing the stuff in the 'Linux' thread. But the t2hack.py script does nothing.. and I do mean nothing AFAIK, and installing PJ's All In One doesn't mean jack after I install rc2a.
  • Wine and RC2 (at current) do not agree with each other, it's a known issue.
  • The causes of the RC2 wine incompatibility have been narrowed to the interprocess data transfer code, which underwent some minor revisions for RC2.

The exact reasons as to why the changes broke wine support are a mystery, but at least I know which
  • Old topic, but still seems a valid one... is there any cure for the RC2a patch when playing on a mac or linux... ie, using wine.

I heard about tribesnext, I immediately downloaded the game, the patch and was itching to play after several years of being away from tribes... and... its still not working on macs?

Forgive for I am quite clueless but would it help if a cider wrapper was created? I've had problems in running games in crossover but using a ciderwrapper has always been a rescue for me. Now, I've tried to search far and wide for a cider wrapper for tribes 2 but there is none...
    And I have no clue on how to create one... :F
    This is the homepage of a community creating cider wrappers for games and programs, if it helps :F http://forum.portingteam.com/
  • Until RC3 is released, you will need to use RC1e to play using TribesNext. The problem is with the Ruby interpreter, and I will be implementing an alternate Ruby loader for Linux and Mac users.

The issues in Wine and the issues with Crossover are the same. Cider is a proprietary derivative of Wine, and has the same problems.

It's slow going, since this is nearly a solo project as far as programming.