Next v. Ascend: will this site stick around?

I plan to try out Ascend but Tribes and Tribes II will always have a place in my heart and I will always want to play them.

Based on how Vengeance went, I'm reserved about the idea that a new game could utterly replace T2. It seems to be a pinnacle of perfect game development. New games can add interesting stuff but I always worry that elements will be sacrificed.

Ever since Dynamix stopped hosting the gaming serves, Next seems to be the only way to place this classic anymore.

Comments

• Why would it go anywhere? Only thing I could see changing anything is if HiRez "found" the source code for T2 and decided to update it. They're putting all their eggs in the F2P model for Tribes Ascend, so I wouldn't expect them to do anything with T1 or T2.
  • This isn't a support issue. This should be in general discussion.
  • edited April 2012
    I gave Ascend a try for a couple of weeks...and I was not impressed.

In a nutshell, it's CoD with jetpacks and a Sci-Fi look. That's it.

The one thing that really sucks is how locked in you are when it comes to loadouts. You can't go running around with the sniper weapon in the Pathfinder class, you HAVE to pick the Sentinel class (the thing that was bad about it: classes. Way to take player choice away...). Too many weapons are so close to hitscan velocity that it takes away the feel of previous Tribes games (the feel that you had PROJECTILE weapons that required you to do more than point and click. They required you to take your speed and direction as well as your enemies speed and direction into account before you fired a shot).

Granted, a lot of the aspects of Ascend added some dimension to the game, but, to be completely honest, it's a smokescreen. The game was made to appeal to today's "fast-food" gamer, the gamer that wants instant gratification over working towards their best. In one match, if you are on the winning team and have halfway to halfway decent skills, you can get enough XP to unlock a few things and be almost on par with the average player on Ascend. That's not a goal. That handing you the game.

All in all, I hate to say it, but Ascend will probably be around for a while given that it went with the Free-mium model.

Oh, and it doesn't have a Shocklance weapon. So, it's auto-fail.
  • TA has run fine for me, meaning no crashes or other oddities, and it looks great but I am always trying to click next weapon to get disk, laser, and gl just like in t1 and t2. But in TA I only get a projectile sniper rifle and a "pistol" that is the TA equivalent to an annoyance weapon. So basically I'm defenseless if anyone stumbles across my sniper hide. Also, I notice no real diff in skiing speed going from med to light, light should have an obvious advantage here. I find it tougher to cap in light than I did med as light takes one disk hit and you're dead, meds at least had a chance and ski about as fast.
  • edited April 2012
    I gave Ascend a try for a couple of weeks...and I was not impressed.

The one thing that really sucks is how locked in you are when it comes to loadouts. You can't go running around with the sniper weapon in the Pathfinder class, you HAVE to pick the Sentinel class (the thing that was bad about it: classes. Way to take player choice away...). Too many weapons are so close to hitscan velocity that it takes away the feel of previous Tribes games (the feel that you had PROJECTILE weapons that required you to do more than point and click. They required you to take your speed and direction as well as your enemies speed and direction into account before you fired a shot).

Granted, a lot of the aspects of Ascend added some dimension to the game, but, to be completely honest, it's a smokescreen. The game was made to appeal to today's "fast-food" gamer, the gamer that wants instant gratification over working towards their best. In one match, if you are on the winning team and have halfway to halfway decent skills, you can get enough XP to unlock a few things and be almost on par with the average player on Ascend. That's not a goal. That handing you the game.

All in all, I hate to say it, but Ascend will probably be around for a while given that it went with the Free-mium model.

what did they add?

mc|goretax shame on you. you did what you do best. make money.

meh.
  • I gave Ascend a try for a couple of weeks...and I was not impressed.

You gotta give credit to Hi-Rez though I really think they tried to satisfy fans of Tribes 1 and 2. Not venegeance fans or necessarily CoD scrubs either.

BTW, they changed most if not all of the weapons to projectiles so it's not longer just like a weapon from another fps which makes it more fun. I like Ascend a lot, and I wouldn't mind if more people played Ascend, the more people that know about tribes the better. Although I probably prefer T2 over Ascend any day but I will probably play Ascend just cause it's newer and has more players.
  • I gave Ascend a try for a couple of weeks...and I was not impressed.

I have yet to play Ascend but I had these precise fears about it when I even heard about the game. You put it perfectly with the term of fast-food gamers. I'm going to try it and I do hope I like it, but I'm going to keep supporting Tribes 2 as much as I can.
  • I for one think that T:V has quite as good graphics as T:A, and the gameplay is even better. I really loved the flowers in T:V. Yeah. May be a silly thing, but T:V had some really immersing and beautiful maps. Like Emerald, for example. But the vehicle system +general gameplay went bad in both, so I ll just stick with tribes 2 for a while.