Account Server Problems

A couple of people have contacted me with regards to issues creating accounts in-game. The account server shows as visible/online, but when creating an account, the server times out without issuing a certificate.

The server software is running, but there's clearly something wrong with the program itself.

I have a feeling the cause might be unforeseen scalability problems with the data store design now that the system has exceeded 70,000 registered accounts. I'll investigate and try to come up with a solution over the next couple of days.

Comments

• 70k is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time!
  • Hi!
    Thanks for this great revival of one of the first (and best) games I've ever played, many hours dedicated :)
    I too have the same problem with timed out authentication server.
    I would like very much to play again this great game.
    thanks!
  • Status update:
    After doing a little more testing, I've deactivated the faulty account server software. It is indeed a scalability problem with the original datastore implementation. No account creation or recovery is available until further notice.

I'm about 60% done with a new account server implementation, which should resolve the issues once deployed. I'll try to finish it tomorrow.
  • New code is nearly done. I should be able to finish it, and import the existing data tomorrow.
  • Eagerly waiting... I am dying to play this game again. I played it back in the day. I started on T1 and T2 was the first game I ever eagerly anticipated the release and was so excited when I got to play it the first time.

Thank you for working so diligently on this issue. I thought it was a firewall thing on my end and I was racking my brain trying to figure it out until I found this thread.

Thanks again

jase
  • i...am.....dyinggg......

ctrl-k!
  • The new account server is online. Account creation and retrieval are available again. It's been fairly well tested, but still, let me know if there are any problems.
  • Is this working yet? I haven't been able to create an account or retrieve my old account info.
  • Today's issues were apparently caused by a lost connection between the account server application and the database server. Oops. Online again.
  • I'm currently having the same problem however it tells me: unknown name status returned from server

Please help
  • I wouldn't know. Sorry. :P
    -rJay
  • I am getting "Error: Unknown name status returned" when I try to create an account, and so I can't play. Game's unblocked by my firewall and ports are forwarded in the router. I seem to be able to connect to the server, it just doesn't return the name availability.

Also, on an unrelated note: These forums only seem to work in Internet Explorer. Boo.
  • Also, on an unrelated note: These forums only seem to work in Internet Explorer. Boo.

Can't answer the server thing but as far as IE, I'm sitting on here with Google Chrome on Ubuntu 11.10 and all is well.
  • Also, on an unrelated note: These forums only seem to work in Internet Explorer. Boo.

Can't answer the server thing but as far as IE, I'm sitting on here with Google Chrome on Ubuntu 11.10 and all is well.

Indeed. I am on chrome as well.
    -rJay
  • Just thought I'd mention that a small update has been applied to the account server. This update verifies that the database server connection is still valid (and reconnects if it's not) -- it should resolve the lingering and recurring "Unknown Status" error messages from the game client.