Petition: Help is requested by Thyth to get Clans and Tags back!

Greetings Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing alright!

What brings me here today is the completion of the ability to give us Clan Tags and other features, IRC, TMAIL, etc. with main one being of course, the creation and managing of the Clans.

Thyth has requested some help to complete this task and says it can take anywhere from 2 days to who knows when to complete.

What we need is more directed to Thyth, as I am not fully understanding where the project is at and the coding required to complete.

From my understanding, we need some GUI Browser Coding and JSON related help.

If anyone is qualified, capable and competent enough to help complete this project and tasks.

Please contact Thyth via IRC # Last Gasp and/or post here.

Comments

• Greetings Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing alright!

What brings me here today is the completion of the ability to give us Clan Tags and other features, IRC, TMAIL, etc. with main one being of course, the creation and managing of the Clans.

Thyth has requested some help to complete this task and says it can take anywhere from 2 days to who knows when to complete.

What we need is more directed to Thyth, as I am not fully understanding where the project is at and the coding required to complete.

From my understanding, we need some GUI Browser Coding and JSON related help.

If anyone is qualified, capable and competent enough to help complete this project and tasks.

Please contact Thyth via IRC # Last Gasp and/or post here.
    Too busy. Hope someone else can.
  • While I'd love to help, I have way too many commitments and projects of my own to work on at the moment, and the low playerbase count doesn't really help either.

I hope you find someone to help out with this long requested feature.
  • Although I can't really contribute here, due to my strong lack of knowledge on actually how to do anything here, I'd like to encourage somebody to help. If I knew how, I would. This game was a huge part of my child hood, and I don't think I'm ready to give it up yet. (Though I understand that this doesn't mark the end, but it would sure help the player base.)
  • Although I can't really contribute here, due to my strong lack of knowledge on actually how to do anything here, I'd like to encourage somebody to help. If I knew how, I would. This game was a huge part of my child hood, and I don't think I'm ready to give it up yet. (Though I understand that this doesn't mark the end, but it would sure help the player base.)
    Yes, I work and am finishing up high school. I'm too busy with personal projects like the upkeep of a 9/11 Archive website. I would highly encourage someone to complete this.
  • It appears there is no one really left with the skill set to help with this.

Could Thyth maybe launch a kickstarter or would that create licensing issues?

I reckon a return of tmail and in game clan management would certainly boost player numbers because the user base is currently very fragmented, especially with the closing of the TWL forums.
  • The level of capable and driven people willing to participate in these kinds of projects within the Tribes community is remarkable.

Or at least remarkably consistent -- at nearly zero. I won't harp on expectations or gratitude, but how about a bit of perspective?

Computers are the most powerful tools created by humanity, and humanity is distinct from (and ascended over) all other known species in our capacity for creating and sharing tools that we use to shape the world as we see fit. If you're willing, but not able to participate in a project of fairly simple data manipulation, you really aught to ask yourself if what you've chosen to learn thus far in your life will help you be successful in the kind of information driven society we have today. Programming is the new literacy, after all.

Want clans? Have at it: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=3341.0

I'm not going further for T2 until I see that progress is a real priority for someone else in the community.
  • I'd try my best at it, however, I haven't been motivated due to the lack of players in-game. This is probably a catch-22 situation where there are no players because nobody is putting forth any effort to maintain the game or that I'm simply disillusioned somewhat. I've been on and off experimenting with hacking the game in various ways (T2Bullet, T2irrKlang, 120 bots, a simple HTTP server in Torque, a partially functional but hacky implementation of TN for the native Linux binary, a slight expanding of Linker's "T2API", OpenGL experimention, a method to run my own C++ code ingame with TN running at the same time) but have never really committed myself to something that would actually benefit the community as a whole. Perhaps I'm just a bit self centered to not want to try and do something about it as some of those in that list could have possibly gone somewhere if I actually kept with them.

It is also a case of me being unsure that I am actually up to par for such a thing. I'm just now graduating high school and so I am possibly just not entirely confident about my abilities and thusly am having trouble committing for fear of merely failing. I was DarkDragonDX ingame and we have spoken a few times, and I always felt as though I was in way over my head with those conversations but I've been slowly gaining more understanding as I continually work in the area of writing software. Essentially, even though you state it is simple data manipulation, I feel as though what you find simple isn't quite the same material that I find simple in that if I actually commit I will be in over my head.
  • I'd try my best at it, however, I haven't been motivated due to the lack of players in-game. This is probably a catch-22 situation where there are no players because nobody is putting forth any effort to maintain the game or that I'm simply disillusioned somewhat. I've been on and off experimenting with hacking the game in various ways (T2Bullet, T2irrKlang, 120 bots, a simple HTTP server in Torque, a partially functional but hacky implementation of TN for the native Linux binary, a slight expanding of Linker's "T2API", OpenGL experimention, a method to run my own C++ code ingame with TN running at the same time) but have never really committed myself to something that would actually benefit the community as a whole. Perhaps I'm just a bit self centered to not want to try and do something about it as some of those in that list could have possibly gone somewhere if I actually kept with them.

It is also a case of me being unsure that I am actually up to par for such a thing. I'm just now graduating high school and so I am possibly just not entirely confident about my abilities and thusly am having trouble committing for fear of merely failing. I was DarkDragonDX ingame and we have spoken a few times, and I always felt as though I was in way over my head with those conversations but I've been slowly gaining more understanding as I continually work in the area of writing software. Essentially, even though you state it is simple data manipulation, I feel as though what you find simple isn't quite the same material that I find simple in that if I actually commit I will be in over my head.
    Oh. Hi Dragon. I didn't know this was you. :)
  • I haven't been motivated due to the lack of players in-game. This is probably a catch-22 situation where there are no players because nobody is putting forth any effort to maintain the game or that I'm simply disillusioned somewhat.

My exact reasoning as well. While I'd love to help out, the fact of the manner is, I just don't see the amount of people there in game to even put forth the time to work on it. Open time is another big reason, as it's just something I don't have much of.
  • I haven't been motivated due to the lack of players in-game. This is probably a catch-22 situation where there are no players because nobody is putting forth any effort to maintain the game or that I'm simply disillusioned somewhat.

My exact reasoning as well. While I'd love to help out, the fact of the manner is, I just don't see the amount of people there in game to even put forth the time to work on it. Open time is another big reason, as it's just something I don't have much of.

I will pledge $100 to and for anyone who is able to make this thing happen
  • well there are quite a few that are working on trying to get the t2 browser and email in full or at least almost full effect... at this point in time there is a few things left to fix up and try to get working...
  • I'm sure the cutting edge research on variable length prefix codes for strings in your game engine, and the Saints Row 3 Co-op on Xbox Live do take up quite a bit of your time, Phantom. It's definitely hard to find open time when you're doing things of such monumental importance. Make sure to stay focused on getting your engine done. Indie developers are in desperate need of competitors to the mediocre tyranny of Unity3D and Unreal Engine 4. Once they see how awesome your product is, I bet the orders will come flooding in.

For everyone else that's gotten in touch and has started building on top of the API, I'm happy to see renewed interest. I'll be fixing the issues already reported to me and providing documentation for the details not yet described in my posts so far. It's a minor push to get from here to the completed TribesNext project.
  • if there is a meet up place of those working on it, like forum and IRC that stores conversations and preserves for those absent from the conversation, that will insure, so can insure we are working in the right direction and tackle it by tasking it correctly and all in the loop.

Thyth thanks again and I will try to learn what I can, just thinking, we need this before 2020 and my learning curve, and all other things consider, so someone with more skill is what we need to get the job done, asap.

Either way, if anyone needs me to help with anything, I will be glad to do so, with what limited knowledge in the field i have.
  • http://tribes2stats.com/browser/

Please help me hunt down any remaining bugs.
  • http://tribes2stats.com/browser/

will do, creating a dummy account for testing and will login to Tribes now and get a few stats on it, just to make sure it is active...then login to begin debugging, though I have chores to tend to now, will do soon as get them all done, as hard to think about anything else, as I had so many thoughts of this, this last moon, that it kept me awake at night and even last night got up around 2, just to see if could get my mind wrapped around it and figure it out any to help.
  • in order to get a tag you can't have a brand new account it will not be in the community database there for use the one you currently have... because thyth stated somewhere that any accounts after the tournaments in which you could get tags for your teams are the accounts that are not going to be in the community system/db
  • I'm sure the cutting edge research on variable length prefix codes for strings in your game engine, and the Saints Row 3 Co-op on Xbox Live do take up quite a bit of your time, Phantom. It's definitely hard to find open time when you're doing things of such monumental importance. Make sure to stay focused on getting your engine done. Indie developers are in desperate need of competitors to the mediocre tyranny of Unity3D and Unreal Engine 4. Once they see how awesome your product is, I bet the orders will come flooding in.

Thanks for the good chuckle.

Sarcasm aside there, I do keep my focus on the engine and my posts (Where you're drawing from) are merely there as a reference towards my developments and progress on it. I'm not saying that by any means I'm going to "dethrone" anyone with it, but building my own engine is a challenge I decided to take on to better my programming skills.

What I choose to do with my spare time (Playing a game XBL is giving away for free with my friends), is mine to do with as I please.

There's plenty of talent in this community, and I don't think I should interfere with the great work they're already doing. Best of luck on getting everything working, I really hope you guys get this feature implemented.
    http://tribes2stats.com/browser/

I'll poke through it later today to see if I can find anything.
  • in order to get a tag you can't have a brand new account it will not be in the community database there for use the one you currently have... because thyth stated somewhere that any accounts after the tournaments in which you could get tags for your teams are the accounts that are not going to be in the community system/db

hrmm, that explains why cannot authenticate login with test account, as I just pm'd thyth about the database connection and what are the creditenials, to do so, as I have webpage that had tried to implement the browser last month and was just no sure on the details to enter for server and database.

Will try and login with my normal account user at T's site later on today.

If anyone can drop the connect information, for the database, please do in the meantime, as I did not see that portion and since logged out of IRC and conversation response from thyth did not reach.
  • Once I finish off my code I will release it. If you are just doing the same thing it may be to your advantage to wait it out.
  • thing is that it is not that you can't contact the db it is just that fact you are not in the database... thyth added all of the players that are in the database currently during the last competition therefor that means players that have joined from the first release of TN to that point in time are in the community database... all others are too new and therefor are not put in yet... it feels like as if they are pushed over automatically at a given point or given number of accounts created... then again i can be entirely wrong on the account push to the community db... but everything else about the new accounts is correct
  • Once I finish off my code I will release it. If you are just doing the same thing it may be to your advantage to wait it out.

thanks, I was just trying to set up the browser page and login and make it work, and make a gui for it, really like to see it back in the game end, as well, just so we have it functioning there as well, as I am not sure how one checks invites, unless they go to a browser page external, as I sent an invite out and be nice, if player account is tied to an email account, or someone way to notify players, when they log in to tribes to play, a pop up with invite to click on to accept or decline.

I would love to get the code and set a page as well, as really was just the database connection access, that did not see the details on connecting, as I made a test database and set up some tables and all, though not able to retrieve player/server data

thanks again,
  • I probably won't do any ingame support.
  • I probably won't do any ingame support.
    The whole web-based Tribes Clan Management system is cool. However, I don't think that many of the players (that I know and have gotten a feel for) would rather just have a completely in-game based client to work off of. Unless I've missed something in this entire thread, there will be difficulty in motivating the amount of people you want to use this to really utilize it.

It's pretty much a good idea vs. putting it into execution kind of thing. On paper, it's nice; running it yields no players willing to sign up at the site and/or honestly care for what it has to offer. The fact that there was enough care to put out something even remotely close to this is cool, but let's be honest:

Tribes 2 is narrowed down to an extremely isolated group of competitive players all located on Snap Crackle Pub. When Snap Crackle Pub goes down for a failed hard drive, I try to put a server up on technology 12 Years NEWER. That one word is every reason why people don't bother with Tribes: New. I still love Tribes. I look back on the fun that I had when I was younger when I watched my father play it and the first time I skied down a hill on Katabatic. Others did too, but they packed their stuff up and moved on to what modern day has to offer, or just have gotten too busy to bother checking.

For people who never knew this game, I've tried to get them to come join us. I got a few on for a while, but eventually lost time due to more important things that life requires of us every now and then. I think that the worst that I had though was my best friend who I asked to try it out, which he did, but quit almost immediately because he knew that it was something that I had wanted HIM to do and not something he wanted ME to do - a person can be very weird about things.

My advice for anyone out there with any programming or computer science under their belt: find as many tutorials out there and work towards a client of your own and try to push it on people because it's more likely to be used than a website would. Even better would be to make it capable to work alongside the website using its database and hook in the player's name and GUID, make a server script that interprets when a client connects that if it has signed up on the site and belongs to a clan, add the tag to the client's name.

I could work towards a Windows .net application using the web server's information, but I'm starting to run into a busier schedule of my own (yes, the dreaded thing that has stopped Thyth, Liukcairo, and Phantom139).
  • This isn't some separate sign-up website. It uses your T2 account and unless someone updates the T2 in-game client it's your only point and click option. Anyway, it has seen enough interest to justify the few hours it took to put it up.

I'm not sure what a .net app would offer? Better security?

I think unless you are working on the in-game client you're wasting time.
  • This isn't some separate sign-up website. It uses your T2 account and unless someone updates the T2 in-game client it's your only point and click option. Anyway, it has seen enough interest to justify the few hours it took to put it up.

I'm not sure what a .net app would offer? Better security?

I think unless you are working on the in-game client you're wasting time.

I do believe Thyth mentioned putting his current code for the in-game browser in a GIT Repository at some point so the community could finish up the work. I'd just wait for that and then work with what's already there.
  • not enless darkDragonDX finishes it before then
  • Well, I created a clan and everything, and I have that .vl2 file I'm supposed to have, but it doesn't work. I've deleted .dsos, I've done all that... now it won't let me log in with my credentials when I try on tribes2stats.com. Suggestions?
  • Well, I created a clan and everything, and I have that .vl2 file I'm supposed to have, but it doesn't work. I've deleted .dsos, I've done all that... now it won't let me log in with my credentials when I try on tribes2stats.com. Suggestions?

no clue rjay on that one...
  • tag is working on this end again, not sure why it stopped showing up this weekend..
  • not enless darkDragonDX finishes it before then

I'm waiting on Thyth to look into the broken EMail which seems to be an issue on his side. The server also returns a not implemented error when attempting to set your warrior profile picture but it works for clans. There's also a bug that I still have to nail down that involves the buddy list, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be much I can do until the EMail issue is looked into since the Email system is how you'd accept tribe invitations anyhow.