Curiosity: Who all is working on mods or other project still?

As the title says, anyone working on projects still? Would there be any interest in a new mod should it be developed?

Comments

• As per the current T2RPG thread, I'm looking to do my own take provided at least two players show initial interest. Perhaps it sounds insane given T2RPG's track record of dead end revival attempts, T2's lack of player base, and the availability of so many free(ish) engines that offer much more than T2 without requiring players to install multiple things (see Torque 3D, Unity, Unreal Engine 4, eventually Source 2, etc), but motivation is a funny thing.

That said, were you looking to make a mod? What are you interested in seeing?
  • I was curious to see who else was around doing things, I'm building a new iteration of my old project (Meltdown 2) from scratch, so I wanted to see if there was more for completionist's sake, or any actual interest.

That being said, irc.tribalwar.com #tribesnext has a number of people that are still active in the community.
  • I mainly toy around with my older projects from day to day whenever I'm not busy with other things.

I wouldn't really call it "working on a project" less than just messing around anymore. That being said, I haven't had anyone join my servers when I've hosted them for well over five months now so population is really low for the sake of building a new mod.
  • That being said, I haven't had anyone join my servers when I've hosted them for well over five months now so population is really low for the sake of building a new mod.

I've stopped modding for a good year or so now for that reason.
  • Population is a problem, but so is the need for custom files. A few people tried to join my test T2RPG server right away, then a few more since posting about it, but no one had the mod installed. Most players will first discover a server via the in-game server list, so it's important to think from that angle. Perhaps if it were clear where to get the mod and easy to install it, individual custom server populations wouldn't suffer so badly.

For example, joining a T2RPG server means:
    • Install T2
    • Install TN
    • Make a TN account
    • Find and install T2RPG (3 separate installers, by official downloads)
    • Launch via the T2RPG-specific .bat in \Tribes2\GameData\
    • Connect and hope you have the right versions
    Even with TN already installed, that process is still ridiculous and obscure (where to download? where to install?) for someone who clicked on a server and got kicked for "missing files" (or in T2RPG's case, redirected to a years-dead website). If it instead gave a working URL that hosted a single installer with a good default path, then maybe a few people would bother.
  • Even with TN already installed, that process is still ridiculous and obscure (where to download? where to install?) for someone who clicked on a server and got kicked for "missing files" (or in T2RPG's case, redirected to a years-dead website). If it instead gave a working URL that hosted a single installer with a good default path, then maybe a few people would bother.

I actually changed that message in my server and it had no effect whatsoever, I still had like three people attempt a connect, got kicked and never saw from them again.
  • According to my database stats, I've had 170 unique accounts connect to my alpha server. I will eventually go clientside, but for the time being getting into the game and letting people explore makes a server population much more willing to hang around. This is mostly moot though, as I'm not sure how to really do a serverside T2RPG.
  • I actually changed that message in my server and it had no effect whatsoever, I still had like three people attempt a connect, got kicked and never saw from them again.

There will always be people like this. I meant making it easy for the people who would bother if it's easy enough.
    This is mostly moot though, as I'm not sure how to really do a serverside T2RPG.

Cyberpunk RPG with a horrifying mass of default DIFs as a futuristic city/space ship? :P
  • I kind of tried to get a server-side RPG mod going as an extension to my Powers Mod I made back in 08-09, but I never really got past the basics for it.

The "feel" of the mod kind of deflected my attempts to make it into a RPG mod, it was meant more-so for fast paced combat with the RPG element laid over it to spice things up, alas to each their own.
  • I'm not working on a new project, but I am reviving shifter and plan to setup a 24/7dedicated server soon. Right now its just running when my comp is on.
  • I wouldn't say I'm working on a project so much as continually sketching then crumpling ideas for a tribes2 machinima.
  • Zergon rolls 2d4!
  • I continue working on my IFC22 replacement, adding shit and playing around with things. It has a lot more stuff in it that the one posted to my web page, but nothing ready for prime time.
  • I'm slowly working on bot supporting the TWL maps and basically any non bot supported maps that I can find.
  • Work and real life has been in the way, but this is still touched upon every so often: https://github.com/Ragora/T2-DXAI
  • edited January 2017
    I will add bot support to the most played maps on Snap Crackle Pub/Goon haven using modified Lagg's V5 scripts. The bots are way tougher and fun, and are modified to play classic. I'll make a thread and upload it when I'm done.

Edit, this is the current ReadMe for the bot pack:

http://pastebin.com/2bpW7dZA
  • I will add bot support to the most played maps on Snap Crackle Pub/Goon haven using modified Lagg's V5 scripts. The bots are way tougher and fun, and are modified to play classic. I'll make a thread and upload it when I'm done, here are some new things that they do (mostly in ctf) in this version:

http://pastebin.com/mW8NCeK8
    Yay.

I never finished my project, but then, I never officially stopped either.
  • i am working on my project that i called Rebirth its going to be a large scale mod for t2 with a lots of things like Armors,weapons,deployables and vehicles im working slowly on my mod slowly cuz you know im fresh at these things
    if you guys want check progress that im doing i made topic in tribes 2 bots website http://tribes2bots.byethost4.com/forum/index.php?topic=59.0 if someone interest to help no problem il welcome you
  • edited May 2017
    I just started working on an expansion for Ironsphere RPG Mod. If everything goes as planned, it will have main & side quests, more characters through the world, a command to show you how to play. So basically, I will not re-do everything that's been done, I'll just add some quests to make it more interesting and to give you a reason to continue playing. I'll be hosting this when it's done.
  • I just started working on an expansion for Ironsphere RPG Mod. If everything goes as planned, it will have main & side quests, more characters through the world, a command to show you how to play. So basically, I will not re-do everything that's been done, I'll just add some quests to make it more interesting and to give you a reason to continue playing. I'll be hosting this when it's done.

yeah i saw you been doing that nice i want to see it
  • Thanks. It's gonna be pretty cool since quests are gonna give you some reason to keep playing, I hope. I got a nice cool story for it too.
  • Thanks. It's gonna be pretty cool since quests are gonna give you some reason to keep playing, I hope. I got a nice cool story for it too.
    cool cant wait till you finish it
  • i am working on my project that i called Rebirth its going to be a large scale mod for t2 with a lots of things like Armors,weapons,deployables and vehicles im working slowly on my mod slowly cuz you know im fresh at these things
    if you guys want check progress that im doing i made topic in tribes 2 bots website http://tribes2bots.byethost4.com/forum/index.php?topic=59.0 if someone interest to help no problem il welcome you
    I noticed y'all both mentioned Notepad++. What about Tribal IDE? Or is it just too unpolished?
  • I do not remember mentioning notepad++, I might remember wrong. What I use is Sublime Text, which is pretty damn awesome, and Brackets. I like the features in these two where you compare files, search for a piece of text in a folder, the color schemes that they have, split screen editing, and stuff like that. I haven't used Tribal IDE yet, does that autocomplete and explain T2 functions?
    I noticed y'all both mentioned Notepad++. What about Tribal IDE? Or is it just too unpolished?
    i dont know didint tried that one maybe i will thanks for advice tho

• Tribal IDE
    The Tribes 2/V12 Script Development Environment

Version : Beta 3.7
    Date : 08/09/2001
    Author : David Dunscombe
    email : davdun@barrysworld.com

The following is from the GNU Public license, and is a general
    disclaimer for Tribal IDE. This does not mean that Tribal IDE is
    distributed under GPL.

BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF
    CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE
    PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY
    APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE
    STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
    AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM
    "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
    EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT
    NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO
    THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE
    PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM
    PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF
    ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR
    CORRECTION.

Whats New
    Fixed - current file functions was not updating correctly on file save

Fixed - If connection to debugging server was not disconnected via the IDE subsequant editing
    woudl generate an exception

Fixed - double clicking of find in files messages would not always pick the correct file if there
    were more than one file of the same name in the project

Fixed - compile and exec modified will now only compile and exec files which T2/V12 already has
    running, these files have a green file icon next to them while in debugging mode. To compile
    a file that is not currently running in T2/V12 right click on in in the project view and
    click compile. If successfully compiled & execed it will have a green file icon next to it.

Things to Do

Virtual folders

Overview

What is Tribal IDE?

Tribal IDE is an easy to use environment in which to develop scripts and modifications for
    Tribes 2 and also GarageGames V12 Engine ( www.garagegames.com ).

Installation
    If your reading this you've installed it =D. If you've used the install then Tribal IDE will require
    a restart as the install updates the common controls (although if you have Internet Explorer 5 installed
    you dont have to restart).

Shortcut Keys
    Comment Block [SHIFT+ALT+C] - Add comment '//' to begining of every selected line
    UnComment Block [SHIFT+ALT+U] - Remove comment '//' from begining of every selected line
    Indent Block [TAB] - Indent selected block by specified tab width
    UnIndent Block [SHIFT+TAB] - Unindent block by specified tab width

Connect/Resume Debugging [F9] - Connect to debug server, once connected this will resume.
    Step Into [F7] - Step into code on line.
    Step Over [F8] - Step over current line.
    Toggle Breakpoint [F5] - Toggle breakpoint (if possible) at current line.

Plus typical editor ones.

Creating a project
    To create a new project click on the New Project button. This shows a window with a Project Name and
    Base Path edit boxes. Type in a name for your project in the space provided. The base path is used
    to work out the relative path names for a script. This is needed as the debugger will send the IDE
    filenames in the format 'scripts\turret.cs' without an absolute path. So this base path needs to be
    something like 'C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\MyMod\' where mymod is similar to base (ie. you scripts
    will be in C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\MyMod\scripts\ directory). Click OK and the IDE will ask you
    whether you want to to scan for .cs files in all subdirectorys from this path.

VL2 in Project Support
    VL2 files (which are zip files) can be added to the project. The files within them can be open within
    the editor as read only. If you want to edit them you will have to extract the vl2 manually and add the
    files. However find in files, function browser and debugging will work transparently with the files
    within the vl2.

Function Browser
    The function browser initially will parse all the files in your project for functions and the classes
    they are in. It will show them in a large list. As you save files in your project the list will
    instantly update with the functions your have added/edited or deleted. There is also a seperate list of
    the functions in the active file. Also when you rigth click on a function in the editor, say for example

%game.onAIFriendlyFire(%clVictim, %clAttacker, %damageType, %sourceObject);

if you right clicked on the on onAIFriendlyFire bit your would see on the popup menu 5 places where this
    function is defined CnHGame::onAIFriendlyFire, CTFGame::onAIFriendlyFire, etc. This can be clicked on to
    jump to the relevant code.

Using the debugger
    Tribes 2 has implemented a remote debugger. You can connect to it via a Tribes 2 client with debugger();
    but I thought it'd be nice to have a windows app be able to do this. The first thing you need to do
    is start up Tribes 2 either

a) on another PC which is on the same network as you
    b) run Tribes 2 in a window on same PC
    c) run it as a dedicated server on same PC.

For the debugging feature to work correctly you need to have a project with the same script files as
    Tribes 2 is running. Also the path for each file needs to be the same relative path as tribes 2,
    eg the path next to the script 'defaultGame.cs' in Tribal IDE project view needs to be 'scripts\'.
    The relative path for each file in a project is worked out from the base path you set when you
    created the project.

Once you have Tribes 2 is running you need to type in the following command in the Tribes 2 console to
    enable the debugger

dbgsetparameters(PORT_NUMBER,PASSWORD);

Where PORT_NUMBER is a value such as 28040 and PASSWORD is a password that you will use to only
    allow valid people to connect to the debugger. Once you have typed that in you get a message back
    something like this

Binding server port to default IP

The debugger is now running. Now start Tribal IDE and go to the preferences window. Click on the
    debugger icon in the preferences window. There are three values you need to enter to into Tribal
    IDE to connect to the debugger. The first is the IP address of where the Tribes 2 running the debugger
    is. If its on the same PC as the IDE type in 127.0.0.1 for the address. Now enter the port value you
    entered earlier in Tribes 2 in the Server Port box. Finally enter the password you set also earlier.
    Click OK to save the changes. If all things are correctly setup you should be able to click on the
    PLAY button and the following messages should appear in the message window at the bottom of the IDE.

Connecting to debug server
    Connected to debug server
    Sending Password
    Password Accepted
    Requesting Server Script List

Some buttons on the toolbar will also become active. If you click on the pause button Tribes 2 will
    stop and the IDE will jump to the line that you paused on. Breakpoints can be toggled by clicking on
    the little icons in the editor gutter.

BreakPoints
    Once your connected to the debugger, you may notice some little blue dots down the side of an open file.
    These indicate points at which you can tell Tribes 2 to stop if it hits that line. Just click the blue dot,
    the line will then turn red to indicate this is now a breakpoint. All breakpoints you set are shown in a
    breakpoint window. These can be group or changed to have certain conditions, for example when a variable
    is a certain number you might to want to pause at the breakpoint. The breakpoints can be assigned into
    groups and disabled/enabled.

Watches
    Watches can be set for variables. There are a few methods to see what value a variable has. One is to
    just move the mouse cursor over the variable, the value that variable has will appear in the status bar
    at the bottom of the IDE. Another way is to select the variable or combination of variable and method,
    so for example if there was a line such as

%turretTarg = %turret.getTarget();

You could highlight %turret.getTarget() and do [CTRL+F5] and the %turret.getTarget() and its value would
    appear in the watch window at the bottom. Another method is to just type in a variable at the bottom
    of the watch list and hit ENTER.

You can change the values of variables by double clicking on the watch item in the watch list.

Call Stack
    The callstack shows a list the preceeding calls that resulted in the location you are currently at. To jump
    to the file and line of the functions shown, just double click on it.

Compile and exec Single file
    For this to work you need to be connected to the Tribes 2 debugger. It is available as a right click
    option on the project view.

Compile and Exec Modified files
    For this to work you need to be connected to the Tribes 2 debugger.

This feature allows you do syntax checking and see the changes you have made instantly within Tribes 2.
    It only attempts to compile and exec files already running in T2/V12, these are indicated by the green
    file icon in the project view. To compile a file not currently running in T2/V12 right click on the file
    in the project view and click on compile. A green file icon should appear next to it if it compiled and
    execed sucessfully.

Tribal IDE keeps track of the files you have modified and havn't been compiled. So when you click the
    Compile and Exec button it will first ask you to save any unsaved files, and then tell Tribes 2 to
    compile specific scripts. Any syntax errors that Tribes 2 generates will be appear in the messages
    window, these can be double clicked on to goto the specific file and line. Once completed compiling and
    execing the IDE will report how many files it has managed to compiled and how many it has failed to
    compile. The list of failed to compile files will appear also in the messages window.

Runtime Errors
    Runtime errors will appear in the console window, these can be also double clicked on to go to the file
    and line number.

I know this documentation is rubbish =D, more next version.... honest =D

David Dunscombe.

History

Beta 3.7 08-09-2001
    Fixed - current file functions was not updating correctly on file save

Fixed - If connection to debugging server was not disconnected via the IDE subsequant editing
    woudl generate an exception

Fixed - double clicking of find in files messages would not always pick the correct file if there
    were more than one file of the same name in the project

Fixed - compile and exec modified will now only compile and exec files which T2/V12 already has
    running, these files have a green file icon next to them while in debugging mode. To compile
    a file that is not currently running in T2/V12 right click on in in the project view and
    click compile. If successfully compiled & execed it will have a green file icon next to it.

Beta 3.6 21-05-2001

Fixed - drill down wasnt working correctly after a few levels

Beta 3.5 18-05-2001

Added - drill down watches thanks Tinman! =D

Added - vl2 caching, file in vl2 is cached on first load - this speeds up find in files

Fixed - vl2 .dso files not included in project

Beta 3.2 11-05-2001 :

Fixed - Current file functions for non-vl2(zip) files was not working =/ oops

Beta 3.1 10-05-2001 :

Fixed - Breakpointable points not being cleared in certain situations

Fixed - Dosn't request breakpoint list every time active editor is changed

Fixed - Now only scans a zip once for functions after it is changed, was rescaning every project load

Fixed - Breakpoint line not being coloured red in certain situations

Added - Goto definition, right click on function in editor and jump to definition

Beta 3 06-05-2001 :

Added - Dockable windows - move into center of another window to create tabs

Added - VL2 in project support, find in files will search in vl2, open files in read only

Added - Breakpoint list with conditional breakpoints, and enabling/disabling of groups

Added - Call stack

Changed - Changed indent/unindent block to TAB and SHIFT TAB when there is selected text

Added - Find drop downs now remember previous searchs after editor is closed

Added - Added current file function list - shows functions that in current active file

Fixed - Hitting return on quick find edit box now repeats search - also removed beep

Fixed - Doing close all whilst in debugging caused incoming breakpoint list to re-open
    the file.

Beta 2 22-04-2001 :

Bug fixes and small feature improvements

Some situations close project would return false, causing closing of app to
    incorrectly fail.

Fixed 'Save As' erm not working =D oops

Fixed status bar jumping above watch/console/message window

Fixed watch window now will ask for all watches when a single watch variable is changed,
    as it might affect the other watches

Now Checking filelist debugger sends me for all querys to debugger, before sending
    breakpoint list requests out - fixes breakpoints not appearing on files.

Added .gui to open/save file dialogs

Added seperate font/other options for printing out

Added read-only checks, will ask to clear read only flag on creation of new project. On
    every save it will check if the file has attribute set, if so asks whether the IDE should
    clear it

Saves main window position when not maximized

Now asks before making .cs and .gui file associations

Beta 1 21-04-2001 :
    Limited first release of Tribal IDE

Copyrights and Trademarks

All copyrights and trademarks acknowleged.

The Program ("Tribal IDE") is owned by David Dunscombe ("the
    Owner") and is protected by the United States copyright laws and
    international treaty provisions. The Owner retains all rights not
    expressly granted. None of the components of the Program
    (including the documentation) may be copied, removed or altered,
    in whole or part, for any unauthorized use.

LICENSE
    The owner grants you non-exclusive license to:
    * Use the Program free of charge, for an unlimited time in
    it's present state (Version Beta 3.7) as found in this installtion.

You may not:
    * Remove or alter any of the copyright notices from any
    components of the Program.
    * Sub license, rent or lease all or part of the Program.
    * Use the Program with the intent to violate any licensing
    agreements or contracts.
    * Modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works, decompile,
    disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer or attempt to reverse
    engineer or derive source code from all or any portion of the
    Program or anything incorporated therein or permit or encourage
    any third party to do so.

Distribution

You may freely distribute the Program in its original form,
    including all documentation and copyright information, by any
    online means. You may not charge, receive donation for, or
    otherwise profit from the distribution of this product.
    You may NOT distribute this program on ANY media (floppy disk,
    cdrom, tape, or other magnetic storage device) except for personal
    use.
    Commercial distribution, for free or for profit, must be arranged
    through the Owner first.

Disclaimer

BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF
    CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE
    PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY
    APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE
    STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
    AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM
    "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
    EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT
    NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO
    THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE
    PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM
    PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF
    ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR
    CORRECTION.
  • edited June 2017
    yeah thanks for heads up

soo i tried tribal ide it kinda works same as notepad ++ i dont see anything difrend
  • The only real advantage you can get from Tribal IDE is the debugger/telnet support to connect to a server for testing live changes to your scripts, but there's not really anything you can't do already. The editor is also pretty ancient (written in object pascal, if I remember correctly), and was notorious for poor handling of whitespace back in the day, especially if you were collaborating with anyone.

Honestly, you're probably better off just using something like Atom with the language-torquescript package if all you need is a decent free editor with some basic autocomplete. Skimming over it, the language package does define a handful of content that doesn't exist in T2, and won't give much (if any) explanation of most functions, but it looks close enough to be useful.