Dedicated Server and LAN users

I wanted to host a dedicated server and also be able to play against it on the same LAN that I have the server on. When I startup the server, everything appears fine and the server is listed in the server list when I go online. However, any client connecting to the server gets a UE immediately upon connection. However, if I stop the server and run it as a LAN server (-nologin), then the users on my LAN can use the server with no issues, but as expected, will not show-up in the server list on Tribes Next.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Users within a network cannot join using the server's external address. You can hit your 'Insert' key in the list to manually add the LAN address to your listing, and click in the 'Favorite' column to save it to you list.
  • So, if I want users to play online that are on my local network, they will have to connect as described (pressing INSERT and connecting directly to the IP address), but outside users will be able to connect via the Master Servers?
  • Yes, that sounds about right. If the server is displaying on the list and the server was able to retrieve its own address, outside users shouldn't have any trouble connecting.
    The error you described wherein LAN connections cause the client to crash is a known issue that generally occurs when attempting to connect (usually multiple times in succession) to the external address from a local connection. It's basically just a glitch on the client end caused by a quick server disconnection following an IP sanity check failure due to the server and client reporting mismatching addresses.

Alternatively to inserting the IP, local users could open up the console(~) and enter: 'queryLanServers(28000);' - where 28000 is your server's port. This query is normally run on refresh, but was accidentally transposed for a similar function in the current version of the patch.
  • I'm still having issues connecting to my public server from both the WAN and LAN addresses. Has this issue been resolved or is there a work-around for it?
  • I'm still having issues connecting to my public server from both the WAN and LAN addresses. Has this issue been resolved or is there a work-around for it?

This is generally always due to firewall issues. Where is your server located in relation to where you're connecting from?
  • The server is located on my network. Other peoples can join it, but when I connect from within the LAN, I get denied with a MITM attack.
  • The server is located on my network. Other peoples can join it, but when I connect from within the LAN, I get denied with a MITM attack.

Try connecting to the internet IP that the other people connect from. The way TN detects MITM attacks is a little odd.
  • This is what I get when I connect to the server with the Local IP
    ef37dfe184.png

This is what I get when I connect to the server with the WAN IP
    ae01b97281.png
  • What is your LAN IP addressing scheme? 192.48.26.0/24 network address in your LAN connection error corresponds to an Internet routable segment of Boeing's network. You cannot use Internet routable non-RFC1918 IP addresses in combination with NAT, or it will appear as if a man-in-the-middle IP routing attack is taking place.

You must use RFC1918 standardized IP addresses for your LAN to perform this kind of hosting with TribesNext. You will want to use RFC1918 addresses for your LAN anyway, because other applications will break in (perhaps more subtle) ways that are hard to predict. Acceptable addresses in the RFC1918 spec for non-routed networks are 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255, and 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255.
  • edited June 2015
    What is your LAN IP addressing scheme? 192.48.26.0/24 network address in your LAN connection error corresponds to an Internet routable segment of Boeing's network. You cannot use Internet routable non-RFC1918 IP addresses in combination with NAT, or it will appear as if a man-in-the-middle IP routing attack is taking place.

You must use RFC1918 standardized IP addresses for your LAN to perform this kind of hosting with TribesNext. You will want to use RFC1918 addresses for your LAN anyway, because other applications will break in (perhaps more subtle) ways that are hard to predict. Acceptable addresses in the RFC1918 spec for non-routed networks are 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255, and 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255.

Words can not express how much I appreciate you. You are absolutely right. I reverted my IP scheme back to the default 192.168.x.x
    Please... allow me to buy you a 6-pack.

Connecting via the WAN prompts an unhandled exception and crashes the client.
    Connecting via the LAN (which is the preferred method anyway) works wonderfully.
  • Good to hear. I've added a note in the FAQ answer regarding these error messages clarifying that LAN servers must use RFC1918 addressing schemes.