can somebody help me to be good at tribes

because right now I am terrible, and the offline tutorial is not really helpful. is there a way to train to get better besides running around getting killed by all of you guys all the time. will somebody be my sensei.

will you be my sensei.

Comments

• Ahh, the path to becoming a master Tribes player is long and full of dangers young cockroach. You must be willing to forsake the sins of the flesh, such as women and sunlight. Your journey will be full of hotpockets, Mountain Dew, and you will regularly watch the sun rise in the morning through bloodshot eyes...

If you are willing to face these challenges, then we can begin!

Seriously though, I put together a beginner's guide in one of these threads.. Read that first, it will give you the basics. I'll find the thread, and link it here.

http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=340.0

There we are. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
  • because right now I am terrible, and the offline tutorial is not really helpful. is there a way to train to get better besides running around getting killed by all of you guys all the time. will somebody be my sensei.

will you be my sensei.

The on-line tutorial is very helpful for learning to use your CCH hud. A lot of players that have been playing tribes for awhile don't know how to use the command circuit. I don't know if you need these other two items or not, they came with my T2 game and I made scans of it for peeps that never got one.

T2_QRC-pg1.jpg

T2_QRC-pg2.jpg

Due to the site constraints you won't see the full images, just select to open to a new window and or save as if you wish to keep it.

WiiMote and Kryand gave you some good resources to tap. ;)
  • Read those guides, it won't be easy but if you stick with it one day you will be the master. Most of all, learn to use the spinfusor. Its slow but there's nothing more satisfying than pawning some nublet with a white hot disc of death.

Also hit V and start spamming commands, if you see a juggernaut slip into the gen room, if you see an enemy shrike sneaking around a mountain, or if you just see a turret that needs to be repaired.
  • A great way to be of assistance to your team, while also learning about the various assets and the layout of your base, is to grab a repair pack and run around your base looking for things to repair. It's not always the most exciting job, repair duty, but it's a very important one.

Being aware of the layout of your base is extremely important, and in almost every CTF map, both teams' bases share the same exact layout.
  • edited January 2009
    Did the original Tribes 2 box have a manual? If so I might have it and could scan it. I know I still have that card that you just posted a scan of, it came in the cd jewel case.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=380.msg3217#msg3217 date=1232726996]
    Did the original Tribes 2 box have a manual? If so I might have it and could scan it. I know I still have that card that you just posted a scan of, it came in the cd jewel case.
    [/quote]

There was a smal booklet I think with info on weapons, armor, character types, but WiiMote's guide and Kryand's wiki cover that.
  • I'm already training someone but you may as well join in. I enjoy teaching the ways of the tribes.

Get at me on aim. If you have a mic/headset that would be key. Got any nub friends who need teaching as well?
  • Yeah I found it a little while ago. I love the Tribes-esque font they use with the chapter titles, and I even found some stuff in there that I forgot about like the thirty meter radius on the sensor jammer pack and the fact that the blaster can pass through energy shields.
  • Tribes 2 Manual is in ~/Manual/Tribes 2 Manual.pdf

I was half expecting WiiMote to start having mbsocol wax on and wax off the flag

As for repair duty, yeah it's not the most exciting, but if the gens go down while you're in the base, you'll probably be the closest one able to get them back up
  • Well, admittedly, repair duty's pretty awesome on some maps. I enjoy it on rollercoaster. Most of the time I just do it when I'm playing, and my son is being overly energetic. If I stop repairing constantly to go chase my son down, I know that some other player will pick up the slack.

On the other hand, if I'm in a shrike hunting bombers... I'm potentially wasting a shrike while I'm afk.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=380.msg3254#msg3254 date=1232736752]
    This comic reminds me of mbsocol
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010430h.gif
    [/quote]

o.o i haven't laughed that hard in a long time XD
  • If you want to get better at actually FIGHTING and killing other players, that's a surprisingly small part of the game.

Capping, vehicle piloting, bombing, turret farming, etc. All these are skills unto themselves.

Pick something that you want to get better at, then practice it. A lot.

What I would recommend for gunnery practice is Lak-rabbit.
  • What these guys said, but don't hesitate to join a server and obs the high scorers. You'll gain insight into experienced player tactics. You might even witness the much fabled T2 drama. But hi score doesn't tell all, you should pay attention to the play styles/positions you like most, light defense, heavy d, shriking, whatever. If you're a capper, it is wise to see how defenses are laid out so you can circumvent them better. In this case watch someone who is defending the flag.
  • Just be wary of going observer. Some servers have an auto-kick observer timer set.
  • I'm looking for someone to help refresh me. I actually never played Tribes 2, but I used to play the original. I hardly remember anything, I've played so many games since then it would be like trying to navigate through the original Zelda again, which I only did once.
  • Another thing is, say you step off the invo with your loadout, step outside your flag base in kata (lol kata), and you see any number of friendly players being assaulted by enemy players. The delimma is this: if you assist a friendly player in killing an enemy player, will that friendly player get mad because you stole his "frag"? Sometimes the game ammounts to 16 or more duels running concurrently. Then again, it may be the whole enemy team is right on the heels of your capper who is desparately trying to make his way back to base. Well, some may get angered by frag stealing, but I view it as helping my team. Jump in and have fun no matter what.
  • I think in the three weeks or so I've been back on Tribes 2, I've only once heard someone cry killstealer.

I usually don't go looking for fights, but if I'm on my way to my current arbitrary objective and see a red triangle, I'll fire something its way, even if it doesn't hit.
  • Agreed with Blakhart. Frag stealing isn't all that big a deal in my book in CTF or Siege because it's the team points that matter. The game's pretty fast anyway, so on a busy server, you probably won't grouse over it for more than a few seconds.
  • Another thing is, say you step off the invo with your loadout, step outside your flag base in kata (lol kata), and you see any number of friendly players being assaulted by enemy players. The delimma is this: if you assist a friendly player in killing an enemy player, will that friendly player get mad because you stole his "frag"?

No because Tribes players don't care about frags. You can have nine hundred kills in a map but that doesn't mean your team wins.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=380.msg3909#msg3909 date=1233087077]
    Another thing is, say you step off the invo with your loadout, step outside your flag base in kata (lol kata), and you see any number of friendly players being assaulted by enemy players. The delimma is this: if you assist a friendly player in killing an enemy player, will that friendly player get mad because you stole his "frag"?

No because Tribes players don't care about frags. You can have nine hundred kills in a map but that doesn't mean your team wins.
    [/quote]

Hear hear!

But watch the splash damage on TD-enabled servers. Fire some discs in the enemy's way, but try not to hit the friendly at the same time. That would be bad. The friendly might have a good reason to be a little miffed.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=380.msg3909#msg3909 date=1233087077]
    Another thing is, say you step off the invo with your loadout, step outside your flag base in kata (lol kata), and you see any number of friendly players being assaulted by enemy players. The delimma is this: if you assist a friendly player in killing an enemy player, will that friendly player get mad because you stole his "frag"?

[/quote]900 kills in a map = your team wins by shutout
  • edited January 2009
    Played many a round where the enemy team was completely owning ours, gens down, killing us all the time...

But they still lost because they were too interested in padding their score. We just capped out instead of trying to reclaim our base. When you've got 20 enemies walking around your base in juggy armor, dropping mortars on every light they see, and 20 teammates all miffed about this, it's easy to convince them to ignore the heavies and go cap.
  • because right now I am terrible, and the offline tutorial is not really helpful. is there a way to train to get better besides running around getting killed by all of you guys all the time. will somebody be my sensei.

will you be my sensei.

If you want to get better at deathmatching then rabbit's your best bet. Just get a grenade launcher, plasma, and a spinfuser and an energy pack to keep up with everyone and just work on hitting people midair or right before they land. As long as you don't pick up the flag everyone else except the rabbit will basically ignore you. The chases also kinda force you to learn skiing too.

In the spirit of the thread I've got a related question: Anyone else notice that if you fire a projectile while strafing the projectile will go straight for a ways and then suddenly change directions to go at an angle somewhat in the direction you'd been moving in? T2's projectiles just always seemed kinda... odd... in how they moved to me.
  • Projectiles inherit some/all of your momentum, so if you're jetting up, a projectile will have some upward momentum (compensated for by aiming down). Likewise, if you're strafing, that's sideways momentum, which again is compensated for by aiming slightly the other way.

Also, Rabbit is a pretty good way to pick up some skills for one-on-one duels. The standard bots are actually somewhat competent at Rabbit, too, so load up a server with 16 and it's actually pretty good.
  • Some of your momentum.. If you're falling fast enough, and you shoot down, you'll actually outrun your projectile.
  • We can play together for a bit and I'll help. PM me
  • T2's projectiles just always seemed kinda... odd... in how they moved to me.
    Some of your momentum.. If you're falling fast enough, and you shoot down, you'll actually outrun your projectile.
    Yes, Tribes 2 has impossible physics. Try firing a disc in midair while in third person free-look.
  • It's not so much the impossibility as it is that you shoot something while strafing and it goes straight forward like you'd expect then at some point jumps to the left like it just realised "Oh hey I should actually be going at THIS angle".
  • *fire* Doo do doo, it's fun being an explosive disc. Oh yeah the player was going to the left, okie dokie then. *veer*