MANDATORY PATCH DOWNLOAD Add more MAPS!

In the next Patch can add the DYNAMIX FINAL MAPS.VL2 and the X2MAP PACK.VL2 so Map Makers like me can have the use of more terrains, interiors, skys, sounds, textures? Everyone knows that a sever running CLIENT SIDE MAPS losses most of the players during map rotation when CLIENTS do not have the required files on thier hard drives. But SEVER SIDE MAPS RULE and make for great game play and smooth transtitions during map rotation. I asked ZOD to please put the DYNAMIX FINAL.VL2 in the TribesClassicPatch but he did not and mappers and players have been suffering ever since. Please expand the files in the CLIENTS FOLDERS so us Map Makers Can Assultt the Tribes 2 Community with a Fluffy of NEW SERVER SIDE MAPS.

Comments

• Lagg-Alot, that was one of the best ideas I ever heard. Wow why didn't I think of this. This is a really good idea. Add as many client side maps as possible, and some other client side. Like that we all can play in great servers.
  • Lagg-Alot, that was one of the best ideas I ever heard. Wow why didn't I think of this. This is a really good idea. Add as many client side maps as possible, and some other client side. Like that we all can play in great servers.
    please dont spam the {dggs} fast v2 server.
  • The plan is to include an automatic map resource downloader after browsers/tmail are operational. With that, a client would automatically be able to download new terrain and interior instance files when they join a server that uses them.

I don't like the idea of including anything beyond the essentials in the patch.
  • The plan is to include an automatic map resource downloader after browsers/tmail are operational. With that, a client would automatically be able to download new terrain and interior instance files when they join a server that uses them.

I don't like the idea of including anything beyond the essentials in the patch.

Well on the note of that, It should also allow the download of custom shape files.
  • Well this I got to see. I sure hope it works. Didn't Bytor try with no success to program something like that?
  • Maybe someone else tried, but with my Apotheosis development platform and API, the previously impossible... becomes easy.

At the moment though... I'm most concerned with ironing out the known issues that I can, then getting browser/tmail online again. As it is, I don't have much time to work on this project, but, rest assured, map transfer is on the agenda.

Custom shape files, textures, and sound probably won't be supported as an automatic transfer. There are some technical issues with having custom shape files (even unused ones) and hosting servers. Transferring .ter and .dif files (packed in a vl2) isn't a big issue.
  • There was an autodownloader, I forgot exactly who made it. Red Shifter would have more information I think. I remember beta testing it.
  • There was an autodownloader, I forgot exactly who made it. Red Shifter would have more information I think. I remember beta testing it.
    Bytor made a map auto-downloader at one point. http://www.tribes2maps.com/autodownload/index.php
  • That is my point exactly. The auto Down loader that Bytor made required you to exit Tribes and download map files from a website. Forcing players to LEAVE the server during map rotation. Trust me it kills the game.

At one time the original programmers of Tribes 2 made a choice between an in game email or an auto down loader. They made a BIG MISTAKE choosing the in game email. And once again history will repeat itself. I Will make you a bet. Right now you have a lot of revived attention to Tribes 2 because of the happiness around it being up again. But rest assured, players will get bored as soon as they play the same old maps they got sick of playing when Tribes 2 was popular. Here is my bet. I bet that the player support drops off a good amount before you even get the email program back up and running. It is the game play that attracts players.

It would take you about 15 minutes to add the 2 .VL2 files that I suggested and make another patch download mandatory. It would make everyone playing tribes to MORE INTO the GAME NOW as in right away. Because they will be excited about NEW SERVER SIDE MAPS on their favorite servers now.

PLEASE ADD THE MAP PACKS TO A MANDATORY DOWNLOAD. Even if you get the auto down loader working someday. Having about 57 NEW MAPS on everyones PC is NOT A GOOD THING? Com on man weight the value of the Added features to what you are saying. We are talking about TRIBES 2 the game we love not how smart you are. Everyone will have more maps to play, or if they run a server more maps to choose for running.
  • Who said ANYTHING about leaving the game to download maps? With the native code API, the map download process can be pretty seamless for players.

A player would join a server, and the server would communicate information about any custom terrain and interior instance files that are in use. The server could then either directly transfer the map data to the client as part of the loading process, or direct the game client to automatically download the map data from an HTTP server.

I will not add bloat to the online patch in the form of some arbitrarily selected maps. End of story.
  • Caesar has spoken my leprous friends :(

Well I guess it won'y matter anyway it is a weekend and only 26 players online.
  • I personally would want browsers/clans back more than 57 custom maps that nobody will play.
  • I personally would want browsers/clans back more than 57 custom maps that nobody will play.

Seconded. If you're going to use clientside maps, either wait for this autodownloader to be implemented, or direct your players to somewhere they can download the maps in question.
    yah, I want community/clan tab on main menu.

Shizuka the amateur troll!

regards,
    {dggs}Demoncard-resident troll of The-Construct.net
  • Exactly how am I trolling? Trolling would imply that I'm trying to get a rise out of someone, which couldn't be further from the truth. I first agreed to a previous post, then proceeded to offer my own opinion on the matter, said opinion being that adding an arbitrary pack of clientside maps to the core patch download should, and will, take a backseat to getting T2's original functionality back online. This is still a beta, you know.

[For the record, I recognize I was just trolled myself.]

The DYNAMIX FINAL MAP PACK Man! A Tribute to the Tribes 2 Community should not be added to the game permently? After all these Years?
  • Any estimate on how long it will take to get the auto dowloader working? I started on some custom interiors buildings for my next map. :)
  • It will be done when its done.
  • Well, there's no saying for certain when it could be added in, but once the groundwork is laid it should go along quick enough.
    While we won't be adding maps to the core patch download, we wouldn't be opposed to featuring files such as map-packs on the downloads page. We had planned to have more extensive web features up by this time, but unfortunately I had a few other things come up, so didn't have the time...
  • I think the Dynamix Final Mappack was released on the "Best Seller Series" T2 disc, so only the original copies of the game lack it. It seems that if the owners of T2 didn't find it too arbitrary to include, it should probably make it into TN.
  • The x2pack is a pretty arbitrary selection. TWL and TWL2 map packs would be good to have since they have some good maps... and some bad ones. They're the most popular client-side maps run in the US region. It would provide more maps for servers to run and more content for mappers to use. Configuring TribesNext to download map content would be good too.

Make the Dynamix Final Map Pack mandatory already. I want to play some ****ing Trident!
  • I think the Dynamix Final Mappack was released on the "Best Seller Series" T2 disc, so only the original copies of the game lack it. It seems that if the owners of T2 didn't find it too arbitrary to include, it should probably make it into TN.

The Dynamix Final is not included in any version of Tribes 2. The Tribes 2 Classic Mod (which was a mandatory download) included one of the bases from the Dynamix Final. Which highlights my point exactly. When that patch came out so did all the great server side maps. Because it gave us more stuffs to build with. Yes I know there are map packs all over the internet. But most New Players don't even know how to install a map pack. So they raely do. When they get kicked from a server for not having a file they just leave to find another server. I can remember having 20 or so people playing then the server rotation next map was a X2 Map PAck and like only 3 players were left. No one has the download. You are doing a great job with Tribes keeping the master server up and fixing bugs in the code. All I am doing is suggesting, a way to make the next patch get everyone all REALLY VERY EXCITED about the game again like we did when the Classic Download came out.
  • I still request that the DYNAMIX FINAL MAP .VL2 be added as a manatory download. It is just 4 maps made by the original Dynamix crew and the Terrains, Skys, Interiors would be a great addition to the Base folder. It would give Mappers more canvas to work with as well as Respect to the Authors of the Game we have loved for what 12 years now? Respect to the authors.
  • I'd have to agree with Lagg. We could all use some more serverside maps. And many people have it already.

At the very least if you don't include it with the patch put it on the downloads page under something like Highly Recommended Downloads + simple installation instructions even new players couldn't mess up.
  • This has already been discussed, and decided. There will be no mandatory downloads beyond what is necessary to get community services running. Period. End of story.

Auto-map downloading is already on the agenda. If that isn't good enough for you, or soon enough for you, too bad.

Topic locked.
This discussion has been closed.