Ever heard of SMASH mod?

I don't remember the guy that made it, but it was pretty awesome. SMASH mod was basically what you'd get if you take SMASH Brothers' fighting concept and implement it into Tribes. You die by getting knocked out of bounds, or into lava. As you take damage, you become lighter, and weapons pushed you back more. A shocklance hit was almost always a guaranteed kill :D.

I've looked for it, but I can't find it anywhere. It's too bad, because it was quite a bit of fun. The guy even made a map under my suggestion of a few vehicles in the sky with platforms on them that you fought on, there was even a wind effect that would push the smoke towards the back of the ships, so it had the illusion that you were speeding along.

Anyone else played this?

Comments

• No, but I'd imagine it'd be blindingly easy to remake. If you can't find it, some modder may be able to remake it.
  • I've played it, it was great. It wasnt so much the mod that would be hard to replicate it would take a lot of work to get all the maps that were included with it redone. I think I may have a copy of it on an old hard drive i have in my basement If I find it I'll let you know.
  • If you find it, you are amazing, and I will sacrifice a small woodland creature in your name.
  • Do you remember if there is a website that hosted the mod?
  • Yeah, I've done some digging though, couldn't find it.
  • I cant find it. I think the authors name was eikedo and his buddy who updated it for the current T2 build was zigma, I've done some searching around the web but no luck, maybe its lost forever :-\
  • http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/archive/t-232917.html -- Here's a thread. It gave useful clues into finding the real deal.

The web archive doesn't have an archive of his tribes 2 site (http://www.tribes2.org/smash) so, you're only bet is to email him at eikedo@yahoo.com.
  • We played this a bit when T2o was still up, so I should still have the installer saved... here: http://www.tribesnext.com/krash/SMASH.exe
    I'm not sure if it's the final version, of course.
  • Awesome. I'll have to look at it. The latest version I know of included the starfox map. I know there was a mario themed one as well.
  • That version is not up to date the impulse from sniping, s/l etc. is broken. damn :(
  • SMASH mod, I was playing it :). That's right, Fasted found it on his computer and host it tonight. Feb 22, 2009, such a fun mod. He will be releasing it, and I am hoping to set up a server for it.
  • I do have a working copy of it if anyone wants it, i can email it. Or is it possible to upload it to this site?
  • Reply--> Advanced options at the bottom--> Attach:

Pretty nifty.
  • nice MOD :)

host it plz!
    • SCREEN71.PNG
  • I have it running right now but I dont know how long I will keep it, I have a pretty robust cable connex but i cant let it run forever. Mruballos mentioned last night that he would consider running a real server.
  • It's been pretty fun, although some thoughts so far on the currently hosted version:

1) Laser rifle is a little too good, it's ok in regular play since most people aren't good shots. But when you get a capable sniper that can hit someone several times in succession, it becomes a slaughter :P (Hit once at full hp to knock into the air, then hit 1-2 more times to kill their airbrake and knock them out). It should have some knock, but I think the knockback should be pretty low until the person is at low health, thus encouraging the use of other weapons.

2) On the other side, shocklance is far too weak. A backlance to someone at half health barely sends them going anywhere. Considering the difficulty of doing that in battle it's really a letdown to see it not do much.

3) Plasma and chaingun we also tried for a little while before realizing they were very poor compared to other weapons.

The laser rifle definetely needs fixing, although please don't overnerf it, the suggestion I gave about it not working well until lower hp would be good, or if that can't be scripted, cutting the knockback down to 60% would probably be a good fit too. As it stands, I kinda scare people off the server i think when I'm using it *grin*
  • edited February 2009
    It's been pretty fun, although some thoughts so far on the currently hosted version:

1) Laser rifle is a little too good, it's ok in regular play since most people aren't good shots. But when you get a capable sniper that can hit someone several times in succession, it becomes a slaughter :P (Hit once at full hp to knock into the air, then hit 1-2 more times to kill their airbrake and knock them out). It should have some knock, but I think the knockback should be pretty low until the person is at low health, thus encouraging the use of other weapons.

I felt the same way in the past. The laser rifle needs to be toned way down.
    2) On the other side, shocklance is far too weak. A backlance to someone at half health barely sends them going anywhere. Considering the difficulty of doing that in battle it's really a letdown to see it not do much.

If the range is cut a bit, the SL could be the homerun bat from SMASH. Maybe down from 16 meters to 8 or 9?
    3) Plasma and chaingun we also tried for a little while before realizing they were very poor compared to other weapons.

The chaingun's knock back is pretty low, but it serves as a decent way to get a little more push on a player, and might just be enough to get them off the edge.
    The laser rifle definetely needs fixing, although please don't overnerf it, the suggestion I gave about it not working well until lower hp would be good, or if that can't be scripted, cutting the knockback down to 60% would probably be a good fit too. As it stands, I kinda scare people off the server i think when I'm using it *grin*

The guy making it had originally planned to change the weapons completely, to put them more on par with what's in Smash bros. But he ended up quitting for some reason, I don't recall why.

I think with some tweaking, we might be able to do the same thing. I loved the mod, and putting it more on par with the smash bros theme would be awesome. I think removing the knockback from the laser almost completely, but decreasing the damage, increasing rate of fire, and decreasing energy required (making it much more like the laser in Smash Bros), we might have a winner. It would still be an effective sniper's weapon, and could give an extra push to the enemy as they drift towards the edge of the stage.

The plasma could be reworked to be a charged weapon. A normal shot would do a bit of damage, and a bit of knockback, but a charged shot would be devastating. Similar to Samus's gun. The difference may be that on top of ammunition, it requires energy to charge, leaving the player grounded.

The disc is pretty solid as is. I don't think I'd touch it.

I don't remember the grenade launcher too well, but I think it should be a medium knock back but with decent damage.

Mortar should be heavy hitting in general, since it's fairly easy to avoid.

I honestly don't know how I feel about the missile launcher in smash. Maybe it should be a relatively weak weapon considering how it can home in on a player. Offset that with more ammunition?

The ELF is fine as is. Don't touch it.

The blaster is another mixed bag. Maybe consider replacing the weapon completely? Removing it? Or just work with it as is?

I think the chaingun's cone of fire could be tightened a bit, depending on how much damage it does. Make it more of a weapon designed to push aerial players back a bit more.

Mines should be like Smash bro's proxy mines. Powerful as heck, and can stick to any surface. Make it a rarer drop.

Frag grenades could act a bit like bomb-ombs. High power, but only one at a time. They fall from the sky like the mines. After sitting on the ground for 20 seconds or so, they start to smoke, warning you that they'll be exploding soon.

Flash bangs, get rid of them. More annoying than anything else.

Flares, maybe consider replacing the blaster with a flare gun? Or combining the two? A weapon that attracts missiles, but could deal damage as well? Also consider making the blaster a charged weapon, and consolidating flares and the plasma gun.

Turrets could be an interesting prospect. Think of pokeballs, but instead of pokemon, they drop some sort of turret, or other surprise.

Sorry... I just enjoy talking about my ideas. I got off track. It would be cool to see some improvements added to the mod, but I have no idea how to script... well, scratch that. I could probably change a few of the weapons in an attempt to balance things a bit, but I wouldn't be able to do much more.
  • I believe the mod is stable now. Sure the sniper rifle is powerful, witch is good. It doesn't matter if someone that is a real monster with sniper comes in there and kicks ass. That makes it better, and more challenging. Plus we can't just make it so it's easy for people to use, then it will be boring. People will become good at it, they all will. So for me, I think its balance.

I have thought about hosting a real server, with branzone or so. But I can't host something that is going to coast money and have no support. If you guys want a server, maybe we can come together and talk about it.
  • Maybe the laser could be toned down a tad but all in all I think the mod is pretty balanced. More importantly its creative and fun, this is not a gametype for TWL tourney play but just to go in and be entertained when your getting tired of vanilla tribes. If you approach it like that it plays perfectly.
  • edited February 2009
    Ed/Mal, it does need to be toned down, trust me :) If I get any more games i'll post a replay. Right now I have to be worried that i'm going to scare people off if I use my preferred T2 weapon in Smash -_-

EDIT: actually i'll be hanging out in the server for a little while tonight if anyone wants to come :)
  • I don't think it does. Sniper rifle is perfect, after all we do need a main weapon for the mod. And that seems perfect.
  • I get what dark is saying, the sniper is clearly the weapon that works better than all others. He is a very good sniper, a guy that owns with disks may be a better dueler in base but will get destroyed by a good laser user. It could turn people off. Maybe give direct hit discs more impulse while leaving the radius damage left alone would be a good way to help out a traditional tribes dueler I dunno. We do have the .cs files so minor tweaks like that wouldnt be hard to do. My suggestion to Dark is to not hold back at all, own the shit out of people for a while with the laser and see if they cant adjust and try to keep up. if it becomes too onesided than maybe we can mess around with it some.
  • Minor editing is not really necessary, I think is fine like this. The mod was released greatly, I am not a good sniper but while playing I got better so it goes to show you if you enjoy the mod you get better while playing.
  • Ive got a main weapon:
    when you jump/fall on someone.
    just like mario...
    NO Mario!! Itsa me, Luigi!
  • Yea, Ed that sounds good.

Hmm, other thing, anyone interested in maybe a small pickup of sorts? Currently the server never gets more than 3 or 4 people and that doesn't even happen often. It might be nice for us to all meet up and get a good game going :)
  • We can meet up and do competitions but not alot have try it or so. We need to advertise it around a bit to see if some people are interested.
  • I took my server down last night while working on some tweaks for my instagib mod but I will put it back up shortly. I also have a couple real life friends that defected to WoW a while back that I could get to come on for some smash tourney's if we could set a time and day.