Let's educate - how to use vehicles/be TG/how to bombing

edited February 2009 in Strategies and Guides
The Goon Heaven community is strongly not familiarized with usage of vehicles, especially multi seated bombers and transport. Solution is simple - don't play there, but sometimes there is no other place.

It's really annoing when You call TG, and there he comes: a scout with energy pack, even without flares...
Or bombardier instead of dropping bombs he firing turret above enemy base...

So let everyone knows:
If bomber needs Tailgunner (most important part of crew, he makes bomber alive) it needs:
Guy in HEAVY armor with FLARES
equiped with:
- sensor jammer pack - if enemy have got many AA turrets, plasma turrets, elf, mortar (missle NOT)
- repair pack - when in-flight repair will be useful (intensive bombing)
- ammunition pack - it means more FLARES, when enemy got a lot of missles
and he need to have a Missle Launcher, to easly shoot down Shrikes, and other weapons - but it is individual choise.

The tasks of TailGunner (TG) are:

- drop flares when missle is fired at us
- turn on sensor jammer when closing to the enemy base/turrets
- repair bomber when it is possible/need, and do not collide with other tasks
- shoot down Shrikes (imho most difficult task)
- get ASAP in TG seat when bomber needs him

Tasks of Bombardier:
- drop bombs whet it is useful (do not do this when it isn't needed)
- try to do not use turret to ground targets, it is less effective than bombs and wasteo our "firepower" (orange stripe)
- try to do not drop bombs when it can damage our bomber

Tasks of Pilot:
- aiming bombs to the target
- find the most important targets
- avoid enemy fire, and enemy shrikes
- move fast, but effective (nosediving is a solution)
- thik about rest of a crew, eg. get TG time to repair bomber or to aim shrike with missle (eg. i have ping ~200ms, so aiming shirke is difficult when moving fast)

When travelling in Tank:
- pilot should stop if he wants gunner to shoot right in target
- pilot repairs tank
- pilot paint targets for gunner
- pilot should think
- gunner got to think too
- gunner task is to aim and shoot in right way

There is a Havoc, but TG tasks are the same. Pilot task is to transport heavies (in most cases) at the enemy base, so they rape it :)

Sorry for my english - it is not my language, if there are mistakes please edit them.

Comments

• I love this lol. It's true so many people suck on this.
  • English is good enough (better than some of the native speakers on these forums) and advice is good.

A++ post.
  • i wouldn't encourage people to tailgun or drive around in tanks. they are almost never used on serious servers (bombers are usually used to transport rapers to the enemy base, not to bomb, and tanks are usually only used in competition because they need to have accurate long distance spam to be used offensively). it's better that people learn how to play in light and heavy armor
  • Clearly this is about pubbing for fun and not comp.
    it's more fun when people know how to play :|
    it's more fun when people know how to play :|

I think this comes down to that classic/base debate, doesn't it?
  • Keep the thread on-topic, please! Thank you!
  • Tailgunners: Put down the goddamn shocklance unless you KNOW how to use it because that one time you get excited and keep it out you're going to hop out onto the hill, forget that you aren't holding your repair pack anymore, and do something very funny and yet oh so very wrong to your friends.
  • Great topic!
    i wouldn't encourage people to tailgun or drive around in tanks. they are almost never used on serious servers

Maybe I don't know what a "serious" means, but I think they are key to all of the teamwork orientated aspects of the game.
    (bombers are usually used to transport rapers to the enemy base, not to bomb,

This is not a good thing. Bombing can be incredibly disruptive for the enemy and helpful for clearing turrets for the capper or rapers. If you send a bomber before a HAVOC brings in 5 heavies, you're gonna do some real lasting damage.
    and tanks are usually only used in competition because they need to have accurate long distance spam to be used offensively). it's better that people learn how to play in light and heavy armor

Tanks parked behind the enemy base or even as defense are also a great asset!
  • Great topic!
    i wouldn't encourage people to tailgun or drive around in tanks. they are almost never used on serious servers

Maybe I don't know what a "serious" means, but I think they are key to all of the teamwork orientated aspects of the game.
    (bombers are usually used to transport rapers to the enemy base, not to bomb,

This is not a good thing. Bombing can be incredibly disruptive for the enemy and helpful for clearing turrets for the capper or rapers. If you send a bomber before a HAVOC brings in 5 heavies, you're gonna do some real lasting damage.
    and tanks are usually only used in competition because they need to have accurate long distance spam to be used offensively). it's better that people learn how to play in light and heavy armor

Tanks parked behind the enemy base or even as defense are also a great asset!
    1) they are not really key to anything. most of the core tribes gameplay is not based around vehicles, but around using the armors.
    2) bombing only has very specific uses where it's terribly useful, and most of the time it's a waste. if all you're just talking about scoring a lot of points on the goon server, then yeah it can be useful. other than that, you'd be better off going ho
    3) tanks also have very specific uses, and once again, are less useful than a quality player doing something else
  • 1) they are not really key to anything. most of the core tribes gameplay is not based around vehicles, but around using the armors.

No offense intended.

The quote above is a false statement. most of the core "classic" gameplay is not based around vehicles would be a more correct statement. Please expand your vision my friend. ;)

There are more than enough maps/mods to suggest that vehicle use is essential for a player to be effective.
  • 1) they are not really key to anything. most of the core tribes gameplay is not based around vehicles, but around using the armors.

No offense intended.

The quote above is a false statement. most of the core "classic" gameplay is not based around vehicles would be a more correct statement. Please expand your vision my friend. ;)

There are more than enough maps/mods to suggest that vehicle use is essential for a player to be effective.
    i've barely ever used vehicles in any capacity, and i'm one of the most effective players ever. the core gameplay does not, and never has, revolve around vehicles. the only time vehicles are necessary in any map is when you're talking about those ridiculous "CARRIER AIR STRIKE ASSAULT IV" maps, which are so incredibly unbalanced in favor of defense that they can hardly even be considered ctf maps; they'd function better for team deathmatch
  • the only time vehicles are necessary in any map is when you're talking about those ridiculous "CARRIER AIR STRIKE ASSAULT IV" maps, which are so incredibly unbalanced in favor of defense that they can hardly even be considered ctf maps; they'd function better for team deathmatch
    You mean CTF isn't Team DeathMatch!?

Vehicles aren't an integral part of the game itself, which is why you don't see them on every map... BUT, they are useful on particular maps (when done right).
  • I think a lot of the concerns about the usefulness of vehicles directly relates to how few people know how to use them.

If you have 15-30 people on a team, taking three aside to bomb can be a huge asset.

As far as points, I think pilots and tailgunners should get some (TGs for getting missiles and Pilots for the same reason the bomber gets them)
  • I think a lot of you are confusing fun and useful.
  • Keeping the enemy terrified of going outdoors is both fun AND useful. And people competent enough to do that are about as easy to find as honest congressmen.
  • Keeping the enemy terrified of going outdoors is both fun AND useful. And people competent enough to do that are about as easy to find as honest congressmen.

I agree (having worked in government, I can attest to both). But it can be very useful. I know for sure that bombers have shut down activities at an enemy base (or, on the flip side, my base) many times. Just today, there was a good case where a bomber ran through, and I was right behind it. All defenders were cleared out and I swooped don for the flag.

Yep. Fun and Useful.

I think a select few of you are confusing PUB and COMP play :) In goon haven, there aren't many things more useful or more fun than dropping a load of bombs on 32 enemies.
  • I think a select few of you are confusing PUB and COMP play :) In goon haven, there aren't many things more useful or more fun than dropping a load of bombs on 32 enemies.

Goon Haven, bombing like hell on Fallacy of Epiphany, fuck yes.

I think a select few of you are confusing PUB and COMP play :) In goon haven, there aren't many things more useful or more fun than dropping a load of bombs on 32 enemies.
    Not really, pub play is fun and comp is all about useful, efficient actions.

There is nothing wrong with bombing itself, but it still isn't all that useful.
    For instance, on Acid Rain a few days ago we had 4 bomber crews (2 per team) bombing non-stop, yet I was able to cap seven times (4 for one team, then switched and capped for the other team). I'm a terrible capper too. The bombing had no effect on the final outcome though.

For instance, on Acid Rain a few days ago we had 4 bomber crews (2 per team) bombing non-stop, yet I was able to cap seven times (4 for one team, then switched and capped for the other team). I'm a terrible capper too. The bombing had no effect on the final outcome though.

That doesn't prove bombing to be useless, it just proves their flag defense is useless :) I've had this discussion with other members a while back. In anything less than 14 v 14, bombing is too big a sacrifice. In matches with 14 and up on each team, it may be a decent strategy, depending on the map, of course.
  • edited March 2009

Actually, how useful bombing is depends on the map.
  • you can get a damn near unbeatable lock on shrikes if the bombers flying backwards. try it. ;)

Tailgunners, learn to use that command circuit fast. spot shrikes on your approach route, waypoint em. youll get lock b4 you can even see em.

Bombardiers, if a shrikes on your ass and hes good, but he hasnt got you yet and your pilot is flat out runnin away from him, AND your TG cant get him, eject, pull that missile launcher out and fire. if your pilot knows what hes doin he'll bank when you eject, givin the missile time to catch up to the shrike. then you can patch yourselves up, request a pickup and live to bomb awhile longer. dont forget to frag the shrike pilot, hes gonna be pissed and comin after you.

bombardiers, carry ammo packs. let the pilot worry about repairs. if your teams good, you may end up in the air so long your tailgunners outta ammo. if so, dip behind a mountain, hop out and give him your ammo. (you may need a script to drop ypur ammo, especially missiles) reload and give em hell. (this can be done in midair but its tricky and you may fall to your doom)

Tailgunners: if a shrike closes to close for missile lock, whip that chaingun out and pepper his ass. makes him lose energy, he cant fire back, he loses altitude, he leaves you alone. for really good pilots who get in your face, keep an elf on your sock. just be careful about hittin your own ship.

Foggy maps where you cant even see what youre bombin, just remember: 400-500m is the magic number, taking speed into account.

Tanks: pilots, remember: all that bouncin over hills and movin side to side maks it hard for you gunner to hit shit. keep it steady, incoming fire allowing of course. and if your gunnin, keep one finger on that 1 and another on that 2. lets you switch weapons real quick in case you need to chop somebody up real quick. this goes for shrikes too, they get in you face, mow em down.

if your pilot has jumped out to give you a target, VTA him when you get a lock so he knows he can move or get back in the tank. that lasers like a big ass "Here I am" sign. do him a favor and let him get outta the line of fire quick.

Havoks: if you wanna be a scout, fine. STAY THE HELL OUTTA THE HAVOKS. leave those seats for guys that need em and can do some good. theres plenty of shrikes and bikes for you. if you wanna ride gunships, put some decent armor on please. this can turn the tide of battles easily. dont let it be said that you cost your team the game.

guess thats it. oh and if youre not on ventrillo on teamspeak and youre in a crew, watch and use that chat hud. sux tellin your pilot 100 times youre outta flares and he starts makin suicide runs and youre outta flares.

Have fun. blow some shit up for me while youre at it.

peace
  • bombing is srs
  • Good advice Stix-N-Stonz, been piloting for a long time and still learn things from other crewmen. Just shows how rare these guys are. Anyway, I'll add onto it:
    Tailgunners, learn to use that command circuit fast. spot shrikes on your approach route, waypoint em. youll get lock b4 you can even see em.
    Also, waypoint their v-pad, turrets and other bomb-worthy targets. You'll become a favorite if you take care of this and let the pilot focus entirely on piloting.

Bombardiers, too. You have exclusive access to the perma-targeting-laser. Use it.

Be good spotters and let the pilot know what needs to be bombed. He has his hands full with piloting. With extra sets of eyes you'll be lifting some of the load off his shoulders.
    Bombardiers, if a shrikes on your ass and hes good, but he hasnt got you yet and your pilot is flat out runnin away from him, AND your TG cant get him, eject, pull that missile launcher out and fire. if your pilot knows what hes doin he'll bank when you eject, givin the missile time to catch up to the shrike. then you can patch yourselves up, request a pickup and live to bomb awhile longer. dont forget to frag the shrike pilot, hes gonna be pissed and comin after you.
    This works only if dueling shrikes has a higher priority for you than bombing. Dueling a shrike who knows your position who will come back for you and picking up your bombardier, re-gaining speed and altitude... usually, it's just not efficient for bombing purposes.

One time I was in a shrike fighting a bomber who did exactly that. In the end I managed to keep the entire bomber crew out of bounds until all 12 missiles were fired. Then I shot them down.

OTOH, if your goal is bombing I'd recommend just returning to base while protecting yourselves and finding friendly shrikes until the shrike's gone. It's all about the effectiveness & efficiency.
    bombardiers, carry ammo packs. let the pilot worry about repairs. if your teams good, you may end up in the air so long your tailgunners outta ammo. if so, dip behind a mountain, hop out and give him your ammo. (you may need a script to drop ypur ammo, especially missiles) reload and give em hell. (this can be done in midair but its tricky and you may fall to your doom)
    I did this the other day after reading your post, except I was the pilot, tossing him flares after mid-air reparing. Groovy.
    Foggy maps where you cant even see what youre bombin, just remember: 400-500m is the magic number, taking speed into account.
    This is good. Also, listen to the pilot and work with him. Bombing through the fog takes more experience and cooperation. The pilot is flying purely using the meters and the atmosphere - he really does have his hands full. He won't be able tell where the bombs will land. But as a bombardier, you do. Guide him. He'll thank you.

Hmm, I should write a thorough guide sometime.
  • Impressive......most impressive :D Thanks for the sweet advice this is some of the best
    bombing advice I've read. I'd throw in my two cents but it would pale by comparison. 8)

• Impressive......most impressive :D Thanks for the sweet advice this is some of the best
    bombing advice I've read. I'd throw in my two cents but it would pale by comparison. 8)

LOL you suck and you talk too much. go play wow, they'd actually listen to you. use your wisdom.
  • some very good advice here.I will agree that in most cases bombing is more useful in pub play.Just because of the man power it uses.In some cases it can be useful in comp but that all depends on the map.A effective crew along with a smart capper can own a flag defense a simple VAF after a bomb run can let a capper know you just cleaned out a flag defense.Try keeping up a flag D when your bombed every minute.I would love to see the faces of the people if I can get my old friend terranova and me to pull a bomb cap on you guys sometime.
  • Here is the best part...

"- pilot should think
    - gunner got to think too"

LOL

-B