Mapping Contest is a Go!

edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Yes, it's about time we threw a mapping contest. Think you have what it takes to make a good map? Submit your map, and find out!

Current Judges:
  • Eolk
  • Mruballos
  • Dudebot
  • `Phoenix
  • Vazolyth

Current guidelines:
  • No map mods. This means no custom weapons or vehicles or anything like that in a map. Forcefield, max vehicles and max turret mods are allowed.
  • The maps must be serverside.
  • One submission per person. If multiple missions are submitted, the last mission submitted will be judged.
  • Your map must be original except for the serverside elements. This means you cannot re-make a dynamix map, etc
  • The map must be compatible and made for classic or base.
  • The map must be CTF-gametype.

What we'll be judging:
  • Uniqueness - How unique is your map? Is it the same old story with the same old concepts? Or, is it unique with different concepts and ways of playing?
  • Fun Factor - How fun is your map?
  • Playability - How bug-free is your map? Is it buggy beyond playability, or, is it bug-less?
  • Appearance - Does your map fit the Tribes 2 mood? Do you have lush trees on a barren wasteland, or, do all the decorations look appropriate?

All map submissions are due by Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 at 8:00 PM EST.
Submit your maps to TheEolk "at" gmail "dot" com to be judged.

Please include your TribesNext name in the e-mail, also.

Comments

• If I submit a map, im guessing I wont be able to judge it.
  • That is right.
  • When the winning map is chosen we should throw a tournament on it. That would be f-ing sweet.
    I'm out.
  • Is there a quick 101 mapping guide out there somewhere that some kind soul could throw a link to in order to get started?
    I'm out.
    Oh c'mon RS.
  • i'm in to help test the maps. not sure if i'll find time to make one.
    I'm out.
    Why would anyone want a map for any other gametype?

Does anyone actually play any other gametypes anymore?
  • Good luck to all. And don't hesitate to bribe. :)
  • We should give some thought into making this an on-going monthly contest. It would be a great way to keep the game new and interesting!
  • somebody had a very good idea on one of these forms how about adding all kinds of new textures and other things to the next patch so mappers can make better server side maps this game would really come back alive . i think it was laggs idea

Yes. This is an excellent idea. New textures, updated models, the works.
  • I believe Thyne or somebody mentioned that they didn't feel comfortable including files not originally distributed in T2, but I think it's far more important to prolong the life of the game by adding these client side files to help spur the growth of clientside maps and mods. The last GTW pickup I played in held at a steady 6 people in the game for a few hours, while countless others joined in just to find they didn't have the client files, and gave up after that. We could have had 20+ people in that game if more people knew about or where to find the client files.
  • Thyth did say he wasn't going to do it. He was saying something about a auto-downloader or something.
  • My submission is in. It's called BeggarsJustice and is hosted on the Practice and Competetion Server.
  • I believe Thyne or somebody mentioned that they didn't feel comfortable including files not originally distributed in T2, but I think it's far more important to prolong the life of the game by adding these client side files to help spur the growth of clientside maps and mods. The last GTW pickup I played in held at a steady 6 people in the game for a few hours, while countless others joined in just to find they didn't have the client files, and gave up after that. We could have had 20+ people in that game if more people knew about or where to find the client files.
    agree some of the client side maps are great.
  • I'll be sure to have a client-side mapping contest sometime in the future. :)
  • I'll be sure to have a client-side mapping contest sometime in the future. :)

To early for a list of entries Eolk?
  • w00t I hope to get to mapping one weekend before the deadline.. I used to be able to crank-out server-side CTF map ideas fairly quickly but I'm getting old :P

mappers... the server-side starter kit I put together way back when is back up on my site www.lexor.tk under "mapping tools". it gives you overhead views of all the base terrains and blank .mis files in case you want to start with a clean slate.

as for the future... I can see how folks are hopeful that a future TribesNext update could push down some new terrain, models, and textures to the clients... perhaps it could make it into future release.... IMHO it would help freshen the experience. if everyone is forced to get a new vl2 full of goodies it could, quite literally, help change the look of the game for us long-term vets.

but that's another story. I am looking forward to seeing what our creative minds can come up with using the exising server-side stuff !
  • mappers... the server-side starter kit I put together way back when is back up on my site www.lexor.tk under "mapping tools". it gives you overhead views of all the base terrains and blank .mis files in case you want to start with a clean slate.

yer link goes to a holding page...

A lot can be done with the serverside terrains, however, exellent balanced maps can be made with custom client side terrains.
    Thyth did say he wasn't going to do it. He was saying something about a auto-downloader or something.

Panama Jack made a map DLer...
    http://hope.oznet.com/pjBB/viewtopic.php?t=1163&sid=f9acc3f80a212607c10f48270f1c52cd
    Too bad that's one of the features that Dynamix didn't implement...
  • Lexor's stuff is on my site (hope you don't mind Lexor). :)

http://tribes.m-parsons.com/utilities/Lexor/
  • Any updates? Who won, list of entries etc. ;D
  • Ya any word of this, how many submissions? who won? whens the next one :D?