Would it be wise to contact hirez and ask to submit t2 to gaming sites?

Was looking at lot of indie gaming sites and submission rules and they almost all, seemed to prefer game author owner to submit.

Would contacting Hi-Rez and asking them, be a problem for TN, or could it be circumvented and just submit it, as tribes next, not tribes 2, as owning the IP may or may not be required

Steam http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

Since the game would be free and no revenue is generated, not sure how it would fly on steam and other sites, that revenue is shared.

Last thing wanted to do, was a get tribesnext.com a cease and desist order, by contacting Hi-Rez, thus reason asking here, as I started email to send to them and was like, better check in first with everyone here.

If Hi-Rez did give permission to do so, to any sites, Steam or others? This would be good, right? Thyth would you up to the submission and authorization from Hi-Rez and master server upkeep regulations they might require,,,if any rules, or restrictions apply, like change name back to Tribes II and link to hi rez studio, and ad an advert for their other games or something, might suffice to get the green light?

If does not meet requirements to get on Steam, i looked at 4 or so other sites, that can explore closer for submission policies, that might work...if this is something that is feasible or not and if so, what is best way to go about it, to respect hirez studios

or has been asked before and declined to do so?

Comments

• My understanding in relation to the T2 source code is that it was archived away somewhere when dynamix was sold to Vivendi Games. Vivendi was then sold to Activision. HiRez bought the rights to the Tribes Franchise but Im not sure whether or not they got the T2 source code like they got the T1 source code or they would have realease it in their, tribes franchise tribute or whatever.

This guy gave me a p good anwser.

1evn.png

I dont believe HiRez has the code. But they have the rights. So, once you even found the code from Activision and bought it, you'd still have to buy the rights from HiRez.
    Maybe even then, you could even think about trying to put the game on steam. If even then someone here would code it.
  • i read that article a few years back and up on situation then and even contacted hi-rez about purchasing the IP Tribes...got no response from email.

Anyways, i am not interested in purchasing any rights, as this would be a win win for everyone, as the game is a bit obsolete almost, though making it available, could have some benefits for Hi-rez, by offering link to their site for current release games they own...

for sure, do not think it would cut into any profits or create any liabilities or risks, for them and simple disclaimer, would suffice, imo.

I do not think the source code is needed, for all practical intents and purpose, to add to the gaming directories, just think the owners of the game would need to authorize it, and make sure all permissions are in order to do so.

Was reading on on xfire and the all seeing eye and other gaming tools yesterday and i do not use steam currently, though was just thinking would be nice to offer it on steam for everyone...as gamespy is gone too now and sure there are others that maybe the requirements to add, are not so stringent and just act like Tribes2n is owned by the community or for sure not anyone they would be legally put in harms way, for claiming ownership rights... and just put it up on as many sites and game query programs and tools that we can, as i am not sure about legal ramifications, as for sure would not want hirez to get pissy about it if they saw one of their products being listed all over the web to play, when they shelved it and took down master server...as really think best solution, would be have hirez put master server back up, as a petition might suffice, as well as some cash or least a way for them to advertise their other releases, so potential cross purchase and play would occur and make it good for the company...why?

main reason, think it is bad for the IP to pull master server, as really how much does it cost a year to keep game alive...
    Think about all the consumers got screwed, as a class action lawsuit, might be the harsh approach, as no telling how many disgruntle players it impacted, who purchased the game and spent years developing their skill and invested so many hours playing, only to have it be shelved...may be too late for class action, though really think was grounds to do so, unless it says somewhere, in agreement, that they have rights to close and end the game, when ever they choose fit...and if they do, then this would only as my point, very bad for business.
  • edited September 2017
    i read that article a few years back and up on situation then and even contacted hi-rez about purchasing the IP Tribes...got no response from email.

Anyways, i am not interested in purchasing any rights, as this would be a win win for everyone, as the game is a bit obsolete almost, though making it available, could have some benefits for Hi-rez, by offering link to their site for current release games they own...

for sure, do not think it would cut into any profits or create any liabilities or risks, for them and simple disclaimer, would suffice, imo.

I do not think the source code is needed, for all practical intents and purpose, to add to the gaming directories, just think the owners of the game would need to authorize it, and make sure all permissions are in order to do so.

Was reading on on xfire and the all seeing eye and other gaming tools yesterday and i do not use steam currently, though was just thinking would be nice to offer it on steam for everyone...as gamespy is gone too now and sure there are others that maybe the requirements to add, are not so stringent and just act like Tribes2n is owned by the community or for sure not anyone they would be legally put in harms way, for claiming ownership rights... and just put it up on as many sites and game query programs and tools that we can, as i am not sure about legal ramifications, as for sure would not want hirez to get pissy about it if they saw one of their products being listed all over the web to play, when they shelved it and took down master server...as really think best solution, would be have hirez put master server back up, as a petition might suffice, as well as some cash or least a way for them to advertise their other releases, so potential cross purchase and play would occur and make it good for the company...why?

main reason, think it is bad for the IP to pull master server, as really how much does it cost a year to keep game alive...
    Think about all the consumers got screwed, as a class action lawsuit, might be the harsh approach, as no telling how many disgruntle players it impacted, who purchased the game and spent years developing their skill and invested so many hours playing, only to have it be shelved...may be too late for class action, though really think was grounds to do so, unless it says somewhere, in agreement, that they have rights to close and end the game, when ever they choose fit...and if they do, then this would only as my point, very bad for business.

You have no concept of ownership do you...

The foundation of everything you just said is negated because you dont have the rights to do anything youre talking about.

And even if you somehow hacked T2 onto steam. Goodluck getting me onboard or anyone here onboard for the possibility of breaking the law. Or even think that steam would allow you to post it.
  • i read that article a few years back and up on situation then and even contacted hi-rez about purchasing the IP Tribes...got no response from email.

You have no concept of ownership do you...

The foundation of everything you just said is negated because you dont have the rights to do anything youre talking about.

And even if you somehow hacked T2 onto steam. Goodluck getting me onboard or anyone here onboard for the possibility of breaking the law. Or even think that steam would allow you to post it.

lol,i am not looking to have or own the rights..to do anything, suggesting contact hirez and see if they would do.

submitting to sites for game query monitoring and being listed, is possible, without permission from hirez, was a question, and imo, it would be okay...as look dude, you are possibly breaking the law, by playing it now, via a hack....correct?

if you read the steam requirements, posted in OP, would see, in FAQ, Steam does not allow it...unless...?>

Submitting it to game server query developers and tools, so it shows up in list of online games, may not be a violation of anything...though it may be, as well, as even playing it now, it would not surprise me at all...though really do not see any harm in it, and you do not either, do you... as playing it is okay right CT?

My question is, should we contact hirez and ask them to put it on steam...
    and also, if other sites might be suitable to submit it to their directories and of course game server monitors lists, so everyone will see it like quake and other games

• Keep us posted on responses, as I am almost certain for steam, the answer is no, and that only IP owners can submit it to steam..

However, would not be first time, was ever wrong! :(

Not sure about the licensing rights, as you mentioned, as i am almost certain hi-rez own all rights to everything tribes.

I am going to post quote, the discussion you started on steam forums here, and update us please, with any news good or bad please CT.
    TacoDeChoco 54 minutes ago
    Submitting a game you do not own
    Lets say you play a game, it works well, and has a community. The community does not own the game but would like to get recognition and possibly more players. Can the game be submitted for free without ownership rights. The game is Tribes 2. The company that made it (dynamix) is now disbanded. The company that bought them (vivendi) has been bought by other companies (activision). The tribes Franchise rights was bought by HiRez. But I dont believe HiRez has any affiliation with the community or do they possess the source code.

If we were able to produce a stable version of the game could it be submitted for no profit and with the only intention of is growing our player base and getting exposure?
    Last edited by TacoDeChoco; 53 minutes ago
    Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
    Skoardy 52 minutes ago
    No.
    Phil 51 minutes ago
    If the people who made the game give you the go ahead yes
    TacoDeChoco 22 minutes ago
    Those are two mixed answers
    Skoardy 20 minutes ago
    Not really. One is what he asked, the other is an answer based on additional conditions.
    TacoDeChoco 19 minutes ago

Originally posted by Phil:
    If the people who made the game give you the go ahead yes

If we were talking about the people who actually made the game cutting out any other subsidiaries, their engine is now opensource under the mit licence in that respect.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d
    TacoDeChoco 18 minutes ago

Originally posted by Skoardy:
    Not really. One is what he asked, the other is an answer based on additional conditions.

I understand, Im just going out on a limb here since the situation is so complicated.
  • the people who made the game, answer response, saying yes it would be okay, is ambiguous, as really it is who owns the game, i.e., hirez, as does not matter who made it now, it is all about who owns it now.

Unless in the licensing agreement, it states somewhere that long as the credits are not altered or certain conditions are met, or any way to release any altered version, like tribesnext, might be considered, then getting permission from hirez is required for steam...imo and the engine is sadly only part of the game.
  • ran across this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/tribesvengeance/mods/3/?
    This software program (the �Program�), any printed materials, any on-line or electronic documentation, and any and all copies, derivative works of such software program and materials created with the Program, are the copyrighted work of Sierra Entertainment, Inc. and/or its licensors. All use of the Program is governed by the terms of the End User License Agreement which is provided below ("License Agreement"). The Program is solely for use by end users according to the terms of the License Agreement. Any use, reproduction or redistribution of the Program not in accordance with the terms of the License Agreement is expressly prohibited.

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

1. Limited Use License. Sierra (�Sierra�) hereby grants, and by downloading and/or installing the Program you thereby accept, a limited, non-exclusive license and right to download and install and use one (1) copy of the Program for your use on either a home or portable computer. The Program contains software which will operate in conjunction with Sierra�s Tribes: Vengeance product (the "Editor") to allow you to create custom levels or other materials for your personal use in connection with the Program ("New Materials"). All use of the New Materials is subject to this License Agreement. In addition, the Program can be utilized with the Editor to create New Materials that can be utilized in conjunction with Tribes: Vengeance to play on-line utilizing the on-line capability of Tribes: Vengeance. Note that in the event of a conflict in terms between the Tribes: Vengeance End User License Agreement and this License Agreement, the terms and conditions of the Tribes: Vengeance End User License Agreement shall prevail.

2. Ownership. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof, and any New Materials (including but not limited to any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, and �applets� incorporated into the Program) are owned by Sierra or its licensors. The Program is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright treaties and conventions and other laws. All rights are reserved. The Program contains certain licensed materials and Sierra�s licensors may protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.

Responsibilities of End User.

A. Subject to the Grant of License hereinabove, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Program without the prior consent, in writing, of Sierra.

B. The Program is licensed to you as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

C. You are entitled to use the Program for your own use, but you are not entitled to:

(i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Program, or any New Materials, to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Program or any New Materials to others without the prior written consent of Sierra;

(ii) exploit the Program, any of its parts, or any New Materials for any commercial purpose including, but not limited to, use at a cyber café, computer gaming center or any other location-based site (Sierra may offer a separate Site License Agreement to permit you to make the Program available for commercial use; contact Sierra for details);

(iii) use or allow third parties to use the Program, Editor and/or the New Materials created thereby for commercial purposes including, but not limited to, distribution of New Materials on a stand-alone basis or packaged with other software or hardware through any and all distribution channels, including, but not limited to, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution, without the express written consent of Sierra;

4. Program Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this License Agreement, provided the recipient agrees to the terms of this License Agreement and you agree to remove the Program and any New Materials from your home or portable computer.

5. Termination. This License Agreement is effective until terminated. You may terminate the License Agreement at any time by destroying the Program and any New Materials. Sierra may, at its discretion, terminate this License Agreement in the event that you fail to comply with the terms and conditions contained herein. In such event, you must immediately destroy the Program and any New Materials.

6. Export Controls. The Program may not be re-exported, downloaded or otherwise exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department�s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department�s Table of Denial Orders. By installing the Program, you are agreeing to the foregoing and you are representing and warranting that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.

7. Disclaimer of Any Limited Warranty. Sierra expressly disclaims any warranty for the Program and Manual(s). The Program and Manual(s) are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or noninfringement. The entire risk arising out of use or performance of the Program and Manual(s) remains with you, the User. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties or liability for incidental damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you.

8. Limitation of Liability. NEITHER SIERRA, ITS PARENT, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES OR LICENSORS SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE PROGRAM, OR THE EDITOR, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. ANY WARRANTY AGAINST INFRINGEMENT THAT MAY BE PROVIDED IN SECTION 2-312(3) OF THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE AND/OR IN ANY OTHER COMPARABLE STATE STATUTE IS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply.

9. Equitable Remedies. You hereby agree that Sierra would be irreparably damaged if the terms of this License Agreement were not specifically enforced, and therefore you agree that Sierra shall be entitled, without bond, other security, or proof of damages, to appropriate equitable remedies with respect to breaches of this License Agreement, in addition to such other remedies as Sierra may otherwise have available to it under applicable laws. In the event any litigation is brought by either party in connection with this License Agreement, the prevailing party in such litigation shall be entitled to recover from the other party all the costs, attorneys� fees and other expenses incurred by such prevailing party in the litigation.

10. Limitations on License. Nothing in this License Agreement shall preclude you from making or authorizing the making of another copy or adaptation of the Program provided, however, that

(1) such new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in your utilization of the Program in accordance with the terms of this License Agreement and for NO OTHER PURPOSE; or

(2) such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes ONLY and all archival copies are destroyed in the event of your Transfer of the Program, the Termination of this Agreement or other circumstances under which your continued use of the Program ceases to be rightful.

11. Miscellaneous. This License Agreement shall be deemed to have been made and executed in the State of California, and any dispute arising hereunder shall be resolved in accordance with the law of California. You agree that any claim asserted in any legal proceeding by one of the parties against the other shall be commenced and maintained in any state or federal court located in the State of California, County of Los Angeles, having subject matter jurisdiction with respect to the dispute between the parties. This License Agreement may be amended, altered or modified only by an instrument in writing, specifying such amendment, alteration or modification, executed by both parties. In the event that any provision of this License Agreement shall be held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, such provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the remaining portions of this License Agreement shall remain in full force and effect. This License Agreement constitutes and contains the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes any prior oral or written agreements.

I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the foregoing License Agreement and agree that the action of installing the Program is an acknowledgment of my agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of the License Agreement contained herein.

* NOTICE: Intel and Pentium are Trademarks property of the Intel Corporation. Athlon and AMD are Trademarks property of the Advanced Micro Devices Corporation. Windows and Microsoft are Trademarks property of the Microsoft Corporation. NVIDIA and GeForce are Trademarks property of the NVIDIA Corporation. ATI and Radeon are Trademarks property of ATI Technologies Incorporated. Logitech is a Trademark property of the Logitech Corporation.

(C) 2004 Irrational Games. All rights reserved. Tribes Vengeance, Irrational Games and the Irrational Games logo are registered trademarks of Irrational Games in the U.S. and/or other countries. Published by Vivendi Universal Games International. Sierra and the Sierra logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sierra Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. This product contains software technology licensed from GameSpy Industries, Inc. (C) 1999-2004 GameSpy Industries, Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

and also this:

http://starsiege1.proboards.com/thread/174/eula-license-agreement-starsiege-states
    bduares
    Site Member

bduares Avatar

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:22pm
    Post Options
    Post by bduares on Jan 24, 2009 at 7:22pm
    There seems to be a very important series of misunderstandings on your part with regard to the ownership of the products in the Earthsiege universe, i.e.: Starsiege, Tribes, Tribes 2, etc.

1) The 2 Tribes products were distributed free of charge by Vivendi Universal Games to celebrate the release of Tribes: Vengeance, until the unique serial numbers for Tribes 2 ran out, at which point the games ceased to be distributed freely by VUG.

2) Starsiege has never been distributed freely by VUG, and shall not be.

3) The fact that 2 of the Tribes games were freely distributed temporarily in no way voided the ownership rights of VUG, who did, and still does, own and defend all IP for the Tribes series, Starsiege, and their related products. These products, whether 'supported' or not, and whether still sold or not, still belong to Vivendi Universal Games and they will not sell, nor give away, that IP.

I can elaborate on these points, having spent many months in meetings at Vivendi's offices in Paris, in 2007, with the lead IP attorney for VUG, a Mr. Dresch, and his legal team. At the time my brother and I were attempting to purchase the IP rights to Starsiege, owning a movie company, comic book company, and video game company partnered with several of the founders of Blizzard. In the end it was made clear by VUG that they will in no way part with ownership of the titles they have spent many years adding to their collection through company acquisitions and mergers.

If you think your attempt is the first, in the past 10 years, to get something done about this game then you are very mistaken. If you think it will change a single thing with regard to the ownership of any product in the Earthsiege Universe, again you are very mistaken.

On a side note - anyone try clicking on the starsiegemods.com link in that first post in this topic? Or even tried to go to their other address (ssmods.com)? Starsiegemods.com and ssmods.com are gone and have been for a long time
  • oh and i forgot this one for T:A by hi-rez:

https://web2.hirez.com/hirez-studios//wp-content/uploads/2016/05/EULA-Tribes.pdf

(678)

info@hirezstudios.com
    3750 Brookside Parkway, Suite 200, Alpharetta, GA 30022 USA
    www.hirezstudios.com
    Tribes: Ascend
    ®
    End User License Agreement
    Last
    u
    pdated
    on November 10
    , 2015
    TERMS OF AGREEMENT
    IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE!
    PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE CLICKING THE
    "
    I ACCEPT
    "
    BUTTON
    THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (THE
    "
    AGREEMENT
    "
    ) IS BETWEEN YOU AS THE
    END USER (
    "
    YOU
    "
    OR "
    YOUR
    "
    ) AND HI
    -
    REZ STUDIOS, INC. (
    "
    HI
    -
    REZ
    "
    "
    WE
    ," "
    US
    ," OR "
    OUR
    "
    ).
    IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT,
    YOU MUST CLICK THE
    "
    I REJECT
    "
    BUTTON.
    BY CLICKING THE
    "
    I ACCEPT
    "
    BUTTON
    BELOW, OR BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE
    USING THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT (AS DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE T
    O BE BOUND BY THE
    TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, AND REPRESENT AND WARRANT TO HI
    -
    REZ THAT YOU HAVE
    READ THIS AGREEMENT, UNDERSTAND IT, AND THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST
    EIGHTEEN
    YEARS OF
    AGE (EVEN IF YOU ARE ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF AN AUTHORIZED
    USER W
    HO IS AT LEAST
    THIRTEEN
    YEARS OF AGE).
    IF YOU PURCHASED THIS GAME OR OTHER DIGITAL CONTENT FROM A
    THIRD PARTY RETAILER
    OR DISTRIBUTOR
    , REFUNDS FOR THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT ARE GOVERNED BY THAT
    RETAILER’S
    OR DISTRUBTOR'S
    REFUND POLICY. IF YOU PURCHASED THE SOF
    TWARE
    PRODUCT DIRECTLY FROM HI
    -
    REZ AND NOT FROM A RETAILER
    OR DISTRIBUTOR
    , AND YOU
    REJECT THE TERMS O
    F THIS AGREEMENT WITHIN THIRTY
    CALENDAR DAYS AFTER YOUR
    PURCHASE, YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND IN ACCORDANCE WITH HI
    -
    REZ’
    S
    REFUND
    POLICY LOCATED AT . PLEASE NOTE THAT ONCE YOU AGREE TO
    THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, CREATE AN ACCOUNT WITH HI
    -
    REZ, OR ACTIVATE THE
    SOFTWARE PRODUCT, YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND.
    THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT MAY BE AMENDED, SUPPLEM
    ENTED, OR MODIFIED AT ANY
    TIME BY HI
    -
    REZ IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION,
    INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION,
    WHEN HI
    -
    REZ
    UPDATES OR UPGRADES THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT, EFFECTIVE UPON PRIOR NOTICE AS
    FOLLOWS: Hi
    -
    Rez will post the revised version of this Agreement on the lega
    l page of the official Hi
    -
    Rez
    website located at and may provide such other notice as Hi
    -
    Rez may elect
    in its sole discretion. If any future changes to this Agreement are unacceptable to you or cause you to no
    longer be in c
    ompliance with this Agreement, you may terminate this Agreement in accordance with
    Section
    below. Your installation and use of any of Hi
    -
    Rez’
    s
    updates, upgrades, or modifications to the
    Software Product or your continued use of the Software Product following notice of changes to this
    Agreement shall conclusively demonstrate your acceptance of such changes. Hi
    -
    Rez may change,
    modify, suspend, or
    discontinue any aspect of the Software Product at any time. Hi
    -
    Rez may also impose
    limits on certain features or restrict your access to parts or all of the Software Product without notice or
    liability. You have no interest, monetary or otherwise, in any f
    eature or content contained in the Software
    Product.
    SCOPE OF AGREEMENT
    This Agreement is a legal
    contract
    between you and Hi
    -
    Rez for the game accompanying this Agreement,
    which includes the interactive entertainment software product entitled
    "
    "
    in object code
    format only, and the associated media, Documentation, and Updates, if any, provided by Hi
    -
    Rez to you
    and for which you are granted a license pursuant to this Agreement (collectively, the
    "
    Software Product
    "
    ).
    As used in this
    Agreement, "
    Documentation
    " shall mean the
    Online Terms of Service and Use Agreement
    TRIBES: ASCEND
    EULA
    November 10, 2015
    (the "
    Terms of Use
    ") and the
    Online Privacy Policy
    (the "
    Privacy Policy
    ")
    both of which are available from
    the legal page of the official Hi
    -
    Rez website located at , as well as any
    User Manual(s) that Hi
    -
    Rez makes generally available to licensees of
    . As used in this
    Agreement,
    "
    Updates
    "
    shall mean any and all patches, modifications, updates, and upgrades with respect
    to the Soft
    ware Product that Hi
    -
    Rez makes generally available to licensees of
    . The
    Software Product may only be played by obtaining from Hi
    -
    Rez access to the
    game
    service (the
    "
    Service
    "
    )
    , which can be done by visiting
    <
    http://www.tribesascend
    .com
    >
    (the
    "
    Site
    "
    ) or
    through an authorized
    distribution channel otherwise provided
    by a third party
    and approved by Hi
    -
    Rez
    (e.g., Microsoft Corporation, Valve Corporation
    , Sony Computer Entertainment
    )
    either of
    which is subject
    to
    a separa
    te
    Terms of Use
    and will require you to set
    up an account
    with Hi
    -
    Rez as well as Hi
    -
    Rez’
    s
    t
    hird
    party payment provider(s).
    The Terms of Use are incorporated int
    o this Agreement by reference.
    You may
    access the current version of the Terms of Use at
    <
    http://legal.hirezstudios.com
    >.
    The Terms of Use are
    subject to change by
    Hi
    -
    Rez with or without notice.
    The Software Product and any and all copies and
    derivative works of the Software Product are the proprietary and copyrighted work of Hi
    -
    Rez Studios, I
    nc.
    Any use, reproduction, modification
    or distribution of the Software Product not expressly authorized by
    the terms of this Agreement is expressly prohibited. All rights in and to the Software Product not granted
    herein are hereby expressly reserved by
    Hi
    -
    Rez.
    Any
    permitted
    user
    -
    generated content based on or
    included in the Software Product, through the "Steam Workshop" or otherwise, constitutes a derivative
    work of the Software Product and Hi
    -
    Rez retains all right, title, and interest therein.
    LIMITED USE LICENSE
    By clicking the
    "
    I ACCEPT
    "
    button
    and subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, you may
    install the
    applicable
    software comprising
    of
    the Software Product (the
    "
    Game Software
    "
    ) onto your
    computer or
    applicable hardware
    device
    solely for purposes of playing the Software Product by
    registering for and accessing an account with the Service at the Site (the
    "
    Account
    "
    ). Subject to your
    agreement to and full ongoing compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement,
    Hi
    -
    Rez
    hereby grants to you a limited, non
    -
    exclusive, non
    -
    transferable license to (a) install one copy of the Game
    Software on one or more computers
    and/or
    applicable hardware devices
    owned by you or under your
    legitimate control, and (b) use the Game Sof
    tware in conjunction with the Service solely for your lawful
    and non
    -
    com
    mercial entertainment purposes.
    You may install the Game Software on multiple computers
    and/or
    applicable hardware devices
    owned by you or under your legitimate control, but you may on
    ly
    play
    the Software Product on one
    computer
    or
    one
    applicable hardware device
    at any single point in time. All
    use of the Game Software is subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the Terms of Use,
    both of which you must accept before you
    can use your Account
    to play the Software Product
    You agree
    that Hi
    -
    Rez is not transferring title to the Software Product to you and that this license shall not be
    considered a “sale” of the Software Product.
    LICENSE RESTRICTIONS AND LIMITATIONS
    The limited, personal use license granted to you in
    Section
    is subject to the following restrictions and
    limitations
    as well as all other terms and conditions of this Agreement (collectively, the
    "
    License
    Limitations
    "
    ). You agree that you will not, unde
    r any circumstances:
    a.
    sell, sublicense, assign, rent, lease, or otherwis
    e transfer the Software Product
    except as expressly permitted by this Agreement;
    b.
    reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble
    or otherwise derive source code from the
    Software P
    roduct or reduce the Software Product to a human
    -
    readable form, except to the extent that
    such actions are expressly permitted by applicable law;
    c.
    copy, photocopy
    or
    reproduce the Software Product
    , in whole or in part; provided,
    however, that you may
    make one (1) copy of the Game Software and the
    User M
    anual for archival
    purposes only;
    EULA
    November 10, 2015
    d.
    modify, translate
    or create derivative works based on or utilizing the Software
    Product, Service
    or Software Product experience, or any portion thereof;
    e.
    remove or tamper with any copyright
    , trademark,
    or other proprietary notices
    contained in or relating to the Software Product, Service
    or Game experience, or any portion thereof;
    f.
    use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods
    or any other unaut
    horized
    third
    -
    party software, tools
    or content designed to
    or capable of
    modify
    ing
    the Software Product, the
    Service
    the Site,
    the
    experience
    , or any portion thereof
    ;
    g.
    exploit the Software Product, the Service, the
    exper
    ience
    or any
    portion thereof for any commercial purpose, including
    without limitation, (i) use at a cyber cafe,
    PC bang,
    computer gaming center
    or any other location
    -
    based site without the express written consent of Hi
    -
    Rez;
    (ii) for gathering in
    -
    game cu
    rrency, items
    or resources for sale outside the Software Product
    or inside the
    Software Product but outside a virtual marketplace owned and maintained by Hi
    -
    Rez
    ; or (
    iii
    ) performing
    in
    -
    game services in exchange for payment outside the Software Product (e.
    g., power
    -
    leveling and similar
    activities);
    h.
    use any unauthorized third
    -
    p
    art
    y software that intercepts, "
    mines
    "
    or otherwise
    collects information from, within
    or through the Software Product or Service, including
    without limitation,
    any software tha
    t reads areas of RAM used by the Software Product to store information about a
    character, in
    -
    game items
    or the Software Product environment; provided, however, that Hi
    -
    Rez may, in
    its sole discretion, allow the use of specified third party user interfaces
    and/or permit certain "data
    -
    mining"
    activities on a case
    -
    by
    -
    case basis
    ;
    i.
    modify, or allow or cause to be modified, any files that are a part of the Game
    Software in any way not expressly authorized by Hi
    -
    Rez in writing in each instance;
    j
    host, pro
    vide
    or develop matchmaking services for the Software Product or Service
    or intercept, emulate
    or redirect the communication protocols used by Hi
    -
    Rez in any way, for any
    purpose, including
    without limitation, unauthorized play over the Internet, network
    play, or as part of
    content aggregation networks;
    k
    facilitate, create
    or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Software Product or
    Service, including
    without limitation, (i) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or
    attempts
    to emulate, the Service; or (ii) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved
    by Hi
    -
    Rez in writing in each instance;
    l
    create any other software or content that incorporates the Software Product or
    Service
    or any portion thereof; or
    m
    sell, grant a security interest in
    or transfer reproductions of the Software Product to
    other parties in any way not expressly authorized herein, or rent, lease
    or license the Software Product to
    others.
    TERMS OF USE
    You must accept the Terms of
    Use
    and create an Account in order to access the Service
    and play the
    Software Product.
    The Terms of
    Use governs all aspects of game
    play. You may view the current Terms
    of Use
    here
    :
    <
    >
    INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
    a.
    The Software Product is protected by copyright laws and international copyright
    treaties, conventions
    and other applicable law. As between you and Hi
    -
    Rez, Hi
    -
    Rez shall exclusively
    retain all right, title
    and interest
    in and to the Software Product
    , the Service, the Site, your Account
    and
    EULA
    November 10, 2015
    any and all modifications and improvements thereto and copies and derivative works thereof, including
    without limitation, any Software Product content, Updates
    and D
    ocumentation pr
    ovided to you.
    The
    Software Product may contain materials licensed by third parties, and the licensors of those materials
    may enforce their rights in the event of a
    ny violation of this Agreement.
    You will not obtain any ownership
    rights whatsoever in your
    Account, the Software Product, the Service, the Site, your Account or game
    content, Updates
    or Documentation.
    b.
    ®
    , Tribes™,
    and certain related names and logos are
    the
    registered
    trademarks
    or trademarks, service marks
    , and/or trade names
    of Hi
    -
    Rez.
    These and all other trademarks,
    service marks
    and tra
    de names used by
    or in connection with the Software Product (the “
    Marks
    ”) are
    proprietary rights owned by Hi
    -
    Rez or its licensors.
    c.
    As between you and
    Hi
    -
    Rez, you acknowledge Hi
    -
    Rez’
    s
    exclusive rights in and to the
    Software Product and that the Software Product is unique and original to Hi
    -
    Rez and that Hi
    -
    Rez is the
    exclusive owner thereof. Unless otherwise permitted by law, you shall not, at any time during or after the
    effective term
    of this Agreement, dispute or contest,
    directly or indirectly, Hi
    -
    Rez’
    s
    exclusive right, title
    and interest in and to the Software Product or the validity thereof. You agree to promptly assign to Hi
    -
    Rez
    any and all rights that you may obtain in or to the
    Software Product arising under applicable law and you
    hereby appoint Hi
    -
    Rez as your attorney in fact for such purpose.
    d.
    You may permanently transfer all of your rights and obligations under this Agreement
    to another person only by
    (i)
    where applicable
    physically transferring the original media (e.g., the CD
    -
    ROM or DVD you purchased), all original packaging, and all
    User M
    anual(s) and Documentation
    distributed with the Software
    Product, or (ii) contacting Hi
    -
    Rez and obtaining written approval for the
    t
    ransfer
    ; provided
    in both instances
    , however, that you permanently delete all copies and installations of
    the Software Product in your possession or control, and that the recipient agrees to and accepts the
    terms of this Agreement. However, your Account wi
    th Hi
    -
    Rez is not transferable.
    The transferor (i.e., you),
    and not Hi
    -
    Rez, agrees to be solely responsible for any taxes, fees, charges, duties, withholdings,
    assessments, and the like, together with any interest, penalties, and additions imposed in connec
    tion with
    such transfer.
    PRE
    -
    LOADED SOFTWARE
    The media on
    or method by
    which the Game Software is distributed may contain additional software
    and/or content for which you do not have a license (the
    "
    Locked Software
    "
    ), and you agree that Hi
    -
    Rez
    may install the Locked Software onto your
    computer or
    applicable hardware device
    during the Game
    Software installation process. You also agree that you will not access, use, distribute, copy
    , or
    display the
    Locked Software, unl
    ess and until you receive from Hi
    -
    Rez (a) a license to use that Locked Software; and
    (b)
    if and where applicable,
    a valid alphanumeri
    c key with which to unlock it.
    If you receive a license
    and
    /or
    a key from Hi
    -
    Rez, you may only unlock those portions of a s
    ingle copy of the Locked Software for
    which you received a license, and the License Limitation set forth in
    Section
    shall apply. The terms of
    any End User License Agreement displayed after the Locked Software is unlocked will replace and
    supersede this A
    greement, but only with regard to the Locked Software for which you receive a license.
    Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, you may make one (1) copy of the Locked Software for
    archival purposes only.
    CONSENT TO MONITOR
    WHEN RUNNING,
    HI
    -
    REZ MAY MONITOR YOUR USE AND PLAY OF THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT
    AND COLLECT DATA REGARDING YOUR USE AND PLAY OF THE SOFTWARE PRO
    DUCT IN
    ACCORDANCE WITH HI
    -
    REZ’
    S
    PRIVACY POLICY, A CURRENT COPY OF WHICH MAY BE
    ACCESSED AT
    <
    >
    IN ADD
    ITION, THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT
    AND ANY
    RELATED HI
    -
    REZ SERVICES
    MAY MONITOR
    EACH OF
    YOUR
    HARDWARE DEVICE'S
    RANDOM
    ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING
    CONCURRENTLY WITH THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT. AN “
    UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY
    PROGRAM
    ” AS
    USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE
  • Hi-Rez owns the rights to the franchise -- full stop.
    While they do distribute the games on one of their own websites as freeware, and do link to our patch to enable online support, it's ultimately their property to do with what they will; without being granted license we have no right to publish it on a distribution platform.

As I've said before: given the license, I'd be happy to do the work of putting it on Steam (with or without the source). Without permission, it just can't happen.
    While they do distribute the games on one of their own websites as freeware, and do link to our patch to enable online support, it's ultimately their property to do with what they will; without being granted license we have no right to publish it on a distribution platform.

As I've said before: given the license, I'd be happy to do the work of putting it on Steam (with or without the source). Without permission, it just can't happen.

Yeah, no way, Im with you 100%

I agree, and thus reason, asking about someone contacting them, and making the request, unless of course, the response from HR could be, as i think it might be, like, no way and btw, it is violation to play tribes2 online now with use of an altered master server and ask tribesnext to be taking offline or anything tribes2 related, that allows game play...as their reason would be...anyone playing t2 is a customer or potential custom of one of their other games, like T:A and thus by playing tribes2, ito is illegal and infringing etc.
  • edited September 2017
    Hi-Rez owns the rights to the franchise -- full stop.

I agree, and thus reason, asking about someone contacting them, and making the request, unless of course, the response from HR could be, as i think it might be, like, no way and btw, it is violation to play tribes2 online now with use of an altered master server and ask tribesnext to be taking offline or anything tribes2 related, that allows game play...as their reason would be...anyone playing t2 is a customer or potential custom of one of their other games, like T:A and thus by playing tribes2, ito is illegal and infringing etc.

Im not sure if you're reading what other people are saying. If YOU want to contact hirez to get information on licensing rights. Maybe YOU need to find a way to get a hold of them. And do it. If YOURE not willing to make some sort of deal with HiRez. Than YOU are out of luck. Ive already tried to sit here and explain it to you.

You do not own tribes 2. The community does not own tribes 2 therefore it cannot be released on steam. No matter how you reword it, no matter how many times you reread the terms and conditions. No interpretation will ever lead to you owning it.
  • Right, so email hirez and ask them if they'd put t1 and t2 and maybe starseige on steam?
  • Right, so email hirez and ask them if they'd put t1 and t2 and maybe starseige on steam?

You can if you want. I personally have better things to do.
  • i think, it is best to wait for a response from Thyth, as no comment, could be interpreted, as a"don't give a hoot" from Thyth or for the sake of clarity, would recommend contacting Thyth and asking to read thread and/or if it is okay with Thyth and if contacting hi rez could negatively impact us all... really horrible imo, for any game to take master servers down...as clearly it is attempt to get purchases of next generation versions, though very low blow, for any company to do so...as no longer supporting it, is one thing, trying to shelve it, is another.

Think whomever does contact hirez, would be best to maybe go over the proposal letter here and let us all comment and make sure dotting all eyes and crossings all the tees...with maybe a list of all the players name, who support putting it on steam, like be it only 25 names, that is more than they have employees possibly...and really this would be very, very good for Hi-Rez by putting up their legacy collection and releasing back on line and really, would be so nice, if they bring it back functioning the way it was before, with in game browser and tmail, buddy list and spam some news at us on what they got going on and all...lol, maybe even put the forums back in game haahah
  • The short answer is that this is never going to happen.

We distribute the original freeware Tribes 2 installer from the FilePlanet Tribes Vengeance launch free-key promotion in 2004, and a completely separate automated patch file that adds interoperability with the TribesNext server listing, account, community, and match-making systems.

Current US copyright case law suggests that under this model neither piece by itself represents distribution of a derivative work (am not lawyer or your lawyer, this is not legal advice). The onus is on the user to break their T2 EULA by installing the patch, and once you combine the pieces, things get a lot more radioactive. Does distributing that combined artifact constitute distribution of a derivative work? Probably. Will you get sued by Vivendi/Sierra/Dynamix/GarageGames/HiRez, or whoever happens to own the IP of the game at the time? No idea, but it's stupid to consider it.

Also keep in mind that the TribesNext patch is a copyrighted work of the TribesNext team. While we distribute it as freeware, and some parts of the patch are made available as source code, it is NOT public domain, or "free" as in the "free/libre software" definition. Some of the internal source files are labeled as GPL, but these have been granted special licensing exception for TribesNext from the principal author (i.e. me). In short: don't ship derivative works of the TribesNext patch without our authorization, because you will (probably) be running afoul of the TribesNext team's copyrights. This is has multiple purposes: protecting the community from accusations of copyright infringement by the Tribes 2 IP holders, protecting individuals from inadvertently exposing themselves to personal liability, and making sure we're involved in any kind of officially licensed "remaster" of Tribes 2 that might want to use our code or player databases.

The brutal reality also is that the game is about 16 years old now, with more of its lifetime (~9 years vs ~7 years) spent under TribesNext stewardship than the original master server and account system. Putting it on Steam or advertising it on other sites is not going to lead to any major or sustained increase in player counts. The gaming ecosystem has moved, and outside of retro gaming enthusiasts, nobody cares, or can be made to care through awareness. Even the Mid-Air guys are going to struggle with their modern reboot attempt of the FPS+Z genre.

I'll be keeping systems on my end up for the foreseeable future, since it basically doesn't cost me anything to do so, but if you really want to breathe life into this kind of game: build an easily accessible Tribes clone that pares things down to the bare essence of what made it awesome, and start investing in a future instead of the past. APIs for building games in modern web browsers are more than enough to make something amazing that people could start playing with a click of a URL -- no installation of anything required. If someone builds a click and go indie-style essential FPS+Z, they might have a chance to build something cool, and really get momentum. Anything less won't meet table stakes.
  • Now there is no one no doubt what is the answer :D
  • Sounds good Thyth, would be interested in working with a team of developers, and build the next best thing...ask them to PM me here and will get back with them. :P

I went to hi-rez site and was nothing about tribes on it, that I could see, like they have abandon tribes or maybe have sold it?
  • No. No one sold Tribes 2 and nothing's abandoned. This whole thread was kinda...like...we've all been over this a dozen times already. I read nothing new in this thread whatsoever, and it doesn't take a lawyer to tell you that no you cannot distribute what isn't your's even without you making a profit. Period. And making an alternative isn't Tribes 2... just get on SCP or Snap LAK and play.
  • No. No one sold Tribes 2 and nothing's abandoned. This whole thread was kinda...like...we've all been over this a dozen times already. I read nothing new in this thread whatsoever, and it doesn't take a lawyer to tell you that no you cannot distribute what isn't your's even without you making a profit. Period. And making an alternative isn't Tribes 2... just get on SCP or Snap LAK and play.

Well tribesnext has done great wonders for the game..one that was intended to be shutdown for life, by IP owners..
    While the released it as freeware, that is great, as that is really do not need any more rights to distribute it, as already have those rights...i think, maybe not for profit, as not sure, not planning on profiting, any...more the other way around.

If everyone notes the topic...contact hi-rez about putting on gaming sites, with permission, was the subject matter... as consideration for other ways and means, clearly open for discussion.

I ran across tribes2 download on gaming site yesterday and had like 9 star rating, with 2 rating it, i was the 3rd and now it has 10 star rating...hahah...

So besides steam, there are hundreds of gaming sites, that we could and can promote gameplay, as goal is to attract more players...

Ask chocotaco, been doing my part and spamming tribesnext.com in quake2 and actually was considering talking to some of the clans and players about a Tribes2 and Quake2 scrim, as tribes 2 community or star challenges quake2 players to a match of tribes2 and Q2.

this could work for lot of games, including T:A of course, and the tribes1 and any other game that compares and who knows, may be a revival happening with some converts who instead of playing q2 and t:a and other games, to start hitting the tribes 2 field.

8)
  • Ffs just email hirez and ask them to put tribes on steam already.
  • Ffs just email hirez and ask them to put tribes on steam already.

that is what, i was going to do, before started this thread...
    Was just looking and seeing they are hiring for help with smite and ascend...

Aug 23, 2017 - Hi-Rez Studios is now hiring a SQL Server Developer in Alpharetta, GA. ... Come join the creator of the critically acclaimed SMITE, Paladins & Tribes: Ascend ... Work with programmers to develop and optimize queries used by ...
    Hi-Rez Studios SQL Server DBA Job in Alpharetta, GA | Glassdoor
    https://www.glassdoor.com/.../sql-server-dba-hi-rez-studios-JV_IC1155582_KO0,14_...

Hi-Rez Studios is now hiring a F SQL Server DBA in Alpharetta, GA. ... acclaimed SMITE, Paladins & Tribes: Ascend,as we embark on exciting new game projects! ... Science or Information Technology; Knowledge of reporting and query tools.